Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

RELOCATING - HELP IN ALL AREAS

Group Created by HParr

This is a group where we will discuss all aspects of relocating including (but not limited to) discussions about emotions, realtors, information about different towns, education research, family challenges, finding health care professionals, the positive side of moving, new adventures, how to cope, etc.

View All Members Showing 10 of 3,103 Member(s)
Showing 5 of 165 Picture(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 721 to 730 of 1598
  1. hmarie0679
    07-13-2012 07:32 PM - permalink
    hmarie0679
    moving to the Columbus, MS/Pickens County, AL area... need a good high school. Any ideas?? or somewhere to rent?
  2. nnikol
    07-12-2012 08:13 PM - permalink
    nnikol
    Hi, I am from Cleveland,Ohio and I plan on moving to North Caroline. I would like to know what some the metro area to live. What area have reasonable rent? I'm also looking for something with public transporation and I like to walk to stores and nice city life.
  3. Cblewitt20
    07-11-2012 08:30 PM - permalink
    Cblewitt20
    Hi, My Fiance and I just moved to Easton, Maryland about a month ago and we moved in with his Father for the time being. However my problem is that we left our three pets behind because his father wont allow animals in the house, to him they are unsanitary. My pets are my children.. I've been going nuts without them and I was wondering if anyone knew of any apartments or anything that will allow large breeds of dogs.. I have a 6 year old VERY friendly German Sheperd and was wonding if anyone knew of any place in Maryland that will allow Sheperds.

Thank you for any advice you might be able to give.
  4. burkey930
    07-10-2012 06:06 PM - permalink
    burkey930
    Hello, I am looking for info on the Seattle WA area and its surrounding areas. I currently live in the Birmingham area of Alabama. I am married with 3 kids, ages 5,6, and 10. Thinking about relocating to the Seattle area. Looking for a better, safer area for my family. Birmingham is dying city, Jefferson County is looking at bankruptcy and there are no jobs or opportunities and I worry about my kids growing up here. Birmingham is plagued with crime and poverty. Birmingham always ranks in the top 10 most dangerous cities to live in from the FBI's list. The schools are some of the worse next to Mississippi and Louisiana schools.

It's really hot here, last week Temps exceeded 100 degrees everyday. And its not like Arizona heat, its very hot humid heat. Going outside to do anything can turn into a miserable experience really fast. So summers really suck and it stays hot almost all the way to November.

I would really like a area with good schools, activities for kids and adults and some scenery. We enjoy outdoor things. Don't mind rain, it doesn't rain a whole lot here. I've heard about the rain in Seattle and that is not a issue for us. We are basically just looking for a good change in a better place with more to offer for us and especially our children now and when they grow up.

Thanks for any advice
  5. LyndieBaker
    07-10-2012 11:47 AM - permalink
    LyndieBaker
    I am a disabled woman of 53 years old and have a live in caregiver. We both have evictions on our record and I have a felony conviction. My roomate just sold his house and I have to be out in 2 weeks. How do I locate an apartment in the Fort Worth area that give's people a second chance? Does anyone know?
  6. immonarch
    07-10-2012 07:15 AM - permalink
    immonarch
    My SO and I live in small towns 4 miles from one another. We are both disabled. I do not want to remain on SSI for the rest of my life. We want to relocate to the Sedona, Arizona area so I can attend the University of Sedona to get degrees in holistic counseling and metaphysical spirituality. I have been peer counseling for many years. Counseling is where my heart and passion are. I have almost completed a course in Biodynamic Craniosacral and Polarity Therapies. I would like to combine them with the counseling.

We do not want to live in a city. We are looking for a small town outside Sedona within a 20 mile radius. We need to start with senior/disabled low-income housing. I know there are waiting list and need to get our names on some for a 2 bedroom apartment.

We both drive. She uses a walker or cane some of the time so we need a place without stairs.

It is important to us to live near like-minded people. There are not many here. This is mostly a Christian community. I grew up with Christianity and my stepfather was a pastor. I have grown spiritually and am not so limited in my thinking. I am tired of living in an area where I have to hide who I am and what I think.

I am researching what small towns are within a 20 mile radius of Sedona. We do not want to live within the city. I need to know what is available for senior/disabled low-income housing.

Neither of us have lived anywhere outside of Maine as adults. She has lived withing the same 20 mile area for her entire life. I've lived in several different small towns in Maine and two small cities. The cities don't work for me. I lived in Connecticut as a child and was born on the Patuxent River Naval Base in MD. I moved to ME at age 7 and have been here ever since. I will reach my half century this year. I don't like winters in Maine. I never have and never will so I have decided that it makes no sense to subject myself to them.

Arizona has called to me since I was 12 years old so it is more than time. That call has become much stronger in the past year. It is time. I would appreciate any information on the area surrounding Sedona and low-income senior/disabled housing.
  7. redness
    07-09-2012 10:17 PM - permalink
    redness
    im wanting to move away from my small home town n see what else is out there. im thunkin bout movin to denver ive never been there but ive herd its a good place. So im doin my reserch i aint goin half cocked. im lookin for any helpfull info on where to look for an apartment. Where to look for a job. what ppl think of the city what kind of stuff theres to do for fun good bars and good places to meet ppl. Im completly starting over no frends or family where im goin so any help willl be apresheated. And im sry bout the misspelled words i suck at spellin lol
  8. lakeeriemonsters
    07-06-2012 09:04 PM - permalink
    lakeeriemonsters
    HI I am considering relocating to North Carolina. I have heard alot of positive information on the Charolette area. How is the employment situation,crime rate and recreation there? Is this my best option in the state for these requirements? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
  9. Ger.d
    07-04-2012 05:20 PM - permalink
    Ger.d
    hi there were just looking for some feedback where a family of five myself my husband and three children from Ireland, wanting to relocate to America or |Canada ourkids are still in primary school and, we could really do with a change. my husband has worked in construction for many years we haven't travelled much but definitely need a new way of life time for something new a big change would like some advice on the best steps to approach this our kids are 10,9, and 5 we both need some work any help and advice would be appreciated. we don't have money to buy a house so would be looking to work and rent, any areas to suggest not big cities but close by, I know we sound fussy but its big move, thank you, if there is any possibility some one
    could set either of us up with some contacts that would be brilliant
  10. linicx
    07-03-2012 12:37 AM - permalink
    linicx
    I lived in many places. Anytime one moves to a new region or a new state it is a culture shock. The North and South are no more culturally alike than NYC and LA. I don't like Florida because I do not like alligators, snapping turtles, or rattlesnakes on my doorstep. I did not have that in SoCal. Florida is a right to work state, where pay scale is low. It is an ungodly hot and humid state. CA is hot and dry. There is little difference in Cost of living in popular coastal states. Median family income in Tampa was under $40k in 2006.

Study a city before you move. Learn everything you can especially about the COL and state income taxes. Some states taxes are lower than others. IL has a flat 5% income tax with no tax on SS or Pensions. IA taxes at 8.99% over $65K. US Census Bureau Quick Facts is very helpful. Enter 2010 Quick Facts and your state name and them hit the Enter key. At the top left there are two menus for County and City.

The desert is hot and dry. Mountains in the winter are icy cold and dry. It is entirely different than a winter in Chicago or NYC. If you moving to the mountains you will need a 4x4 vehicle. If you buy a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck you can attach a snow plow blade. A dual wheel is even better traction. The desert is warm and dry in the winter, but it makes Fl temps seem cool in the summer. The Midwest is what it is from Tulsa to Ohio. It is four seasons with a lot of farms and ranches, very heavily forested areas with rivers that flood. The best way to have convenient shopping and entertainment is to live in a city with a population 100,000 that is not a major college town. I like college towns, I live around college towns. Businesses in large college towns tend to target college kids and not families as much.

Medical care varies from state to state. It has been my experience that unless you live in Palm Springs or a Boston, ir you have children you should live in or near a large city with more than one hospital.

Popular tourist sites are not an indicator of the quality of health care in any state. The Midwest for instance has two hospitals in the Top 25 Hospitals in the United Stats. Barnes-Jewish in St. Louis or Mayo's in Minnesota. The other 23 are on the coasts.

School systems are not created equal. Some are good, some are bad. It has a great deal to do with the base wealth of the community and the parents who are actively involved with the child and the school district.

I've moved many times for many reasons. Moving in the summer is brutal especially when you go through mountains and you are pulling a trailer. Wherever you move you need some things: A NOAA weather radio AC/DC and fresh batteries, a trucker's map and flashlight. DO NOT put your animals in a carrier tied on top of a car and expect them to be alive when you arrive at your destination city. Not when you traveling in 100 degree weather. After 11pm at night you can do this, but you will be in a motel every day. And you do not leave them in a carrier for 12 or 14 hour and expect a clean cage. You will bathe the animals and clean the carrier. And they cannot go for 12 hours without fresh, clean, cool water. And neither can you.

Adult cats use a liter box 5 times daily. Kittens 10 x daily. Large breed dogs twice daily. Small dogs 4-5 times daily. Animal carriers are plastic and metal. They do get very hot. If you have a very old pet, the kindest thing you can do is leave it behind with a neighbor or friend who loves it as much as you do. And remember if you are calm your animals will travel much better and happier than with a lot of chaos - unless they are accustomed to it.

Know your route and understand what high winds in the mountains mean. Don't try to cross flooded roads. Have your vehicle checked for road readiness. Bad things happen to good people. Be prepared for the worst. A summer traveler should have a cooler of ice and bottled water. Heat exhaustion is very unhealthy especially for young children.