Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Pet Rescue

Group Created by Sam I Am

This group will be to explore the challenges and issues concerning rescue of all animals and maybe do a little networking on placement of unwanted pets. I'd ask that you keep instructional type posts on pet ownership to the main Pets forum and let's let this one be where fellow rescuers gather and brainstorm for solutions! Placements, transport, and various rescue goals will be discussed. However, we will not allow Do Not Adopts or any slamming or derogatory comments toward a particular rescue group.

Invite your friends!

View All Members Showing 10 of 165 Member(s)
Showing 5 of 32 Picture(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 161 to 170 of 209
  1. Keeper
    08-04-2008 04:06 PM - permalink
    Keeper
    Sorry I have been MIA took a little vacation to S. AL. Gee Sammie, I hope someone can help you. What you might want to do is check out a couple of other rescues in the area.

We are looking for transport to AZ for a lab, so if you have anyone going that way let me know. We may be able to transport to MS if someone can go from there.

I will let you know if I find a shelter you can contact as I am also looking to place a couple of dogs as we are full.

What about an adoption at PetSmart?
  2. sammi647
    08-02-2008 03:24 PM - permalink
    sammi647
    hey guys,
    i live in nashville tn. there is a private run rescue/shelter that is having to close down pretty qiuck due to a family situation. There are 7 or 8 dogs that need to be placed in 2 weeks. they are med to large breed- retriever mixes and 2 pit mixes i believe. The shelter is located in Erin TN and we are trying to find them a foster home or a no kill facility they can go to. There will be a rescue train started for all the transport. If anybody can help please let me know! the rescue trying to help them is on aspca.org and it's valhalla rescue. you can see pics of the dogs on there.
    thanks!
  3. leorah
    07-27-2008 08:10 PM - permalink
    leorah
    Teddie, that's great news! I've been meaning to tell you that I think your photos are outstanding. You find a way to take the photo in a way that helps the dog's personality shows through. Do you have any tips to share with the rest of us on how you manage to take such great photos?
  4. TeddieXRuxpin
    07-24-2008 04:17 PM - permalink
    TeddieXRuxpin
    Wohoa! There were 10 dogs adopted in the last two weeks!! We pulled another 8-12..

Keeper! That is awesome news! That is going to make a pretty huge dfference when it comes to care.
  5. leorah
    07-23-2008 01:45 PM - permalink
    leorah
    So glad to learn that your shelter is better funded-if only temporarily! Between now and October you'll have plenty of time to show the city how much you can do with a little more support. Nice job!!
  6. Amazonchix
    07-23-2008 06:45 AM - permalink
    Amazonchix
    Wow...Keeper, what motivated the city to increase the budget even if only for a while? That's a big increase considering the last year's budget. Did the previous manager quit? Maybe it is their salary that has become available? I need to stop assuming and wait for your response (lol)!
  7. Calidreemer
    07-22-2008 09:26 PM - permalink
    Calidreemer
    Keeper I am glad to hear you got money for the shelter - that's great. Where is it located? Sorry if you said it in an earlier post and I just missed it.
  8. Keeper
    07-22-2008 08:15 PM - permalink
    Keeper
    Well, we got great news last night from our city. They are now allocating $2,500 a month for the shelter until the new budget in Oct. We need this for vet bills among other things. It is especially thrilling since the last few years the budget for the whole year was $3,500.00. Our shelter is overflowing with dogs right now. We have 20 dogs but 27 puppies. We are hoping to get a shelter manager and someone to clean the cages. It is a daunting job for the few of us who are wanting to make a difference. It takes 4-5 hours for one person just to clean them all.

We have one Mama dog who is nothing but skin and bones. Poor thing.. I made her satin balls hoping they will help her gain weight.

I never appreciated what rescue groups go through trying to find good ppl to adopt dogs.
  9. Amazonchix
    07-18-2008 07:21 AM - permalink
    Amazonchix
    I agree with Dreamhunter...although we live in the city too and wish we could have many more furry children...we fulfill that desire by volunteering our time to our local animal welfare group (VAW). Yes, it's all very overwhelming...but we each do what we can and it's more than sitting around and doing nothing. The few we can help do MAKE a difference! As long as we continue to try to make a difference for animals, and encourage/educate others along the way...I think we are all wonderful people. We all have strengths and we all need to offer those when we can. It's so important to help pep each other up and keep eachother's momentum going...b/c trust me, I have my times when I get very angry at the world and feel a tad bit of hopelessness when it comes to helping animals and making grand changes.
  10. Calidreemer
    07-17-2008 12:37 PM - permalink
    Calidreemer
    It's amazing how many animals are in need out there. It gets overwhelming sometimes.