Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Pet Rescue

Group Created by Sam I Am

This group will be to explore the challenges and issues concerning rescue of all animals and maybe do a little networking on placement of unwanted pets. I'd ask that you keep instructional type posts on pet ownership to the main Pets forum and let's let this one be where fellow rescuers gather and brainstorm for solutions! Placements, transport, and various rescue goals will be discussed. However, we will not allow Do Not Adopts or any slamming or derogatory comments toward a particular rescue group.

Invite your friends!

View All Members Showing 10 of 165 Member(s)
Showing 5 of 32 Picture(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 111 to 120 of 209
  1. dreamhunter65
    09-30-2008 05:56 AM - permalink
    dreamhunter65
    Great story and glad you kept her. Like the way teaching ropes will not hurt, and seems she is so trusting of you since day one will be easier to train her. We just had a person post a horse here on a site called free web to a good home. Owners were older and grandkids worked horse on halter and all but 3 year old never been saddled and they could not aford to keep her no more so gave away. I liked fact they screened people also so not just a meat horse and went to a young 4-H person.
    Pound I volunteer for will have you do paperwork and they will have a volunteer bring dog out if need be to see if will work out for both dog and parent. If more were willing you would see more animals get homes.
  2. karibear
    09-29-2008 07:12 AM - permalink
    karibear
    The dogs I called about from craigslist were mostly older [5+ years] and had to be gone because of moving, divorces, etc. Very sad, pups are usually easier to place. The reason I called was because all the shelters and pounds here require a potential adopter to walk in the door to get the dog. I can't drive any more, so I was limited in my options. The shelter I finally got mine from is a no-kill, anyway. I feel sorry for the rest.

The horse was one of a pair that were supposed to be sold together. I called and asked if the guy would split them, said he wanted both gone, but he'd keep my number. The next day someone called him and said they wanted the other one - a 3 year old stud. The two were pasture mates for a couple years, this is the first time he's been old enough to breed her, and he was seen doing so at least 3 times, probably more no one noticed. If she's pg, it will be next July or August. After the other buyer saw the stud, he wanted the mare too, but the seller had already promised me I had first choice. The stud is really little, barely big enough to be a horse instead of a pony! The guy who was buying him intends to use him working on a ranch, and he was about 6'2" - by the time they got a saddle on him and the rider, the poor thing would be lucky to stand up square. Three years is not really old enough for a horse to be working, they just haven't finished growing yet, in spite of how young thoroughbreds are when they race. Besides, a race horse carries a load of around 100 lbs, not a man who weighs 190 with a saddle weighing another 25 lbs.

Both horses had been running loose for a couple years, and the guys chased them around the pasture until near exhaustion, then trapped the mare in a corner and got a rope around her neck. I'd planned to say go ahead and take her too, but after watching that mess of a circus there was no way I was going to let those jerks have her. Seller asked if I still wanted her, I said yes, and he said 'you hold her while we load the other one in the trailer.' So I held her, and she leaned on me, rested her nose on my cheeck, and they spent half an hour stuffing that poor little stud into the trailer. Took 5 people to corner her and get the rope on her, and 3 more to load him.

Once the rope was on her neck, she was perfectly docile, but otherwise she's terrified of ropes and halters. As long as I don't try to catch or trap her, she's calm, friendly, follows me around like one of the dogs, is curious as a cat, eats from my hand, has already learned to enjoy getting skritched, and comes when I call her. We are working on getting her accustomed to ropes and learning that they won't hurt her again. I have some stretched out all across the yard where she has to step over them to graze, drink, go into the barn [big garage, actually], and so on. She's gone from skittering away from them to dancing a two-step over, and they don't seem to bother her now as long as I don't pick one up. Baby steps, one at a time. I say I 'rescued' her because all the time the sellers had her, they didn't bother with any kind of vet care, farriers, vaccinations, worming, nothing. They weren't interested in horses any more and the horses were just in the way and kept them from going on road trips. Every time I asked about this or that, it was 'we didn't have the time' - if you don't have the time or interest for any animal, you shouldn't have it in the first place. I still haven't decided whether or not I'll keep her, but I already have someone lined up who will take good care of her if need be.
  3. dreamhunter65
    09-29-2008 12:09 AM - permalink
    dreamhunter65
    craiglist animals unwanted pets that got for a child and found out was a little work so lets dump it.Shelter gave a choice a little screwed up but they figured may get lucky if bring 2 hard to place animals. They were right and at least got a loving home that will put some effort into them. They lucked out as some would said not listen to what wanted take em back.
    Now lets listen to the mare story and how far from foaling?
  4. karibear
    09-26-2008 12:59 PM - permalink
    karibear
    I'm in east/central OK, and I spent most of the summer looking on craigslist for a dog, any dog, to give a home to and be a companion to the one I have. I could not believe how many posts there were from people 'desperate' to find a home for Foofy, because 'he/she' is sooo sweet and they don't want to have to take her to the pound. I can't drive any more, and not one of those people were 'desperate' enough to deliver, even when I offered to pay for their time and gas. I did finally find a shelter about 45 minutes away that would deliver. I asked for a medium sized male [my dog is a big dominant female], house trained, and that was it. What I ended up with was a beagle who'd never lived inside, and a female golden/gsd who'd been through the local prison's obedience training program. They wanted to give me a choice - like I was really going to point at one and say 'It goes back to life in a cage again.' So I kept both. Neither has any house manners at all, and while the beagle has finally caught on that he's supposed to go outside, it took awhile. He's a total bonehead - sweet as sugar, but bright as a brick. Now I've also sort of rescued a pregnant mare, which is a long involved story in itself.

It was particularly frustrating, because where I lived in Alaska, I was a sort of private rescue. People would call about dogs dumped, dogs they didn't 'need' any more, and so on. Some of them were so damaged health and temperament wise, the only thing I could do was have them pts while I held them. It was always a heart breaker, because some idiot was responsible for them being in that state.

Enough whining and complaining. But I really do despise all those people on craigslist.
  5. dreamhunter65
    09-21-2008 01:07 AM - permalink
    dreamhunter65
    My kids help when we do things for shelter like car wash fundraisers, help walk dogs bring treats in for all the animals like treats for dogs and cats,clover,carrots and apple branches for bunnies and such.They also get involved in helping train my hounds for Search and Rescue and know the cops as good as us as help us help them in summer activities. Getting them into volunteering young and helping others wether it be human or animal we are hoping will make them better all around citizens when older.
  6. Amazonchix
    09-09-2008 07:42 PM - permalink
    Amazonchix
    OMG, they are simply beautiful! I love the picture with their new parents. You and your family rock!!! I'm so glad you are teaching your boys the importance of being animal friendly. I love this forum! It's nice to share in GREAT moments that I wasn't there for first hand. I needed to see these right before I went to sleep. Don't worry folks...I still plan on winning the lottery...so much animal love will be spread once I do (lol)!
  7. dreamhunter65
    09-08-2008 09:37 PM - permalink
    dreamhunter65
    09/07/08 transport pics uploaded of Low and Ella who come from Tennessee to Minnesota to a good home after last owner had them pulled when threaten to shoot them as said they were worthless. Such beautiful,obedient loving dogs think last owner was one with the worthless problem.
  8. Calidreemer
    09-03-2008 09:44 PM - permalink
    Calidreemer
    Bless you Amazonchix.
  9. Amazonchix
    09-03-2008 08:07 PM - permalink
    Amazonchix
    I'm calling tomorrow to see if they need my help at the temporary shelter here in OKC. I keep thinking any day they are going back...but Ike is suppose to be coming through the same path as Gustav in about a week per information I was told yesterday.

Honestly, almost every pet owner was very thankful to us and told us so (many times over). That's the bad thing about a situation like this...the bad apples ruin it for the bunch.
  10. dreamhunter65
    09-03-2008 07:47 PM - permalink
    dreamhunter65
    At least animals got help and they may not be able to say it in words but they do appreciate it,even if the owners are a bunch of slobs that think this is a vacation and should be waited on and not have to do for themselves. Some going back already. How many of the people there will actually say thank you to all the volunteers that helped out the animals they brought at least they somewhat care about them though as brought along.