Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Pet Rescue

Group Created by Sam I Am

This group will be to explore the challenges and issues concerning rescue of all animals and maybe do a little networking on placement of unwanted pets. I'd ask that you keep instructional type posts on pet ownership to the main Pets forum and let's let this one be where fellow rescuers gather and brainstorm for solutions! Placements, transport, and various rescue goals will be discussed. However, we will not allow Do Not Adopts or any slamming or derogatory comments toward a particular rescue group.

Invite your friends!

View All Members Showing 10 of 165 Member(s)
Showing 5 of 32 Picture(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 71 to 80 of 209
  1. Amazonchix
    11-20-2008 02:32 PM - permalink
    Amazonchix
    I would also like to add Great Pyrenees and Blue Healer to the previous ones mentioned.
  2. karibear
    11-19-2008 08:46 PM - permalink
    karibear
    I'd suggest a border collie, aussie, or English shepherd, or a cross of any of those. They are all pretty high energy and trainable, and enjoy having a job and a lot of exercise. THey are also people-oriented, unlike some of the livestock guardian breeds.
  3. Sherry Connor (mortgage)
  4. 11-18-2008 02:20 PM - permalink
    Amazonchix
    Is it just me or has anyone heard from Sam I Am in a while??? Where are you Sam?? We miss you!
  5. dreamhunter65
    11-10-2008 09:23 PM - permalink
    dreamhunter65
    He promised but needs to be hypo allergenic..This be real good dog for him a Portuguese Water Dog in my opinion. Not one of the crossbred designer mutts. Be it from a shelter or breed rescue either be good.
  6. Amazonchix
    11-08-2008 08:40 AM - permalink
    Amazonchix
    They made that promise before the election...win or lose (smile). I can't wait to see what lucky dog they adopt! I hope it is a large dog.
  7. karibear
    11-05-2008 09:28 PM - permalink
    karibear
    I just read a fwd in a group I belong to that said the Obamas plan to adopt a shelter dog for their girls. That should give a boost to shelter animals.
  8. need4Trees
    10-23-2008 10:34 PM - permalink
    need4Trees
    Thanks Amazonchix! I'm reading away!
  9. Calidreemer
    10-23-2008 01:41 PM - permalink
    Calidreemer
    Thanks again - all good suggestions.
  10. karibear
    10-23-2008 04:16 AM - permalink
    karibear
    Another option is to do something with petfinder, if you use them. Or contact some of the bigger rescues like HUA and ask for suggestions. The one near me puts most of their dogs on petfinder and also has it's own website. They have a number of programs that are on their website but not on petfinder, like having some of the dogs go through an ebedience training program in one of the prisons. Or contact local vets and see if any are willing to do what's necessary for a discounted fee. All the vets in the town where I lived in AK donated spay/neuters to the shelter, and once or twice a year did free vax for the general public. Vets care about the animals, too. 8-) Check with any veterinary schools within reasonable distance, and maybe contact Animal Planet. They used to have a program about vets in training, and they just might come up with at least some $$ - you never know until you ask, and the worst they can do is say 'No.'

If I think of anything else, I'll come back with it.