Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Pet Rescue

Group Created by Sam I Am

This group will be to explore the challenges and issues concerning rescue of all animals and maybe do a little networking on placement of unwanted pets. I'd ask that you keep instructional type posts on pet ownership to the main Pets forum and let's let this one be where fellow rescuers gather and brainstorm for solutions! Placements, transport, and various rescue goals will be discussed. However, we will not allow Do Not Adopts or any slamming or derogatory comments toward a particular rescue group.

Invite your friends!

View All Members Showing 10 of 165 Member(s)
Showing 5 of 32 Picture(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 91 to 100 of 209
  1. dreamhunter65
    10-20-2008 09:35 AM - permalink
    dreamhunter65
    Hope she takes advice though and gets them shut down.
  2. karibear
    10-19-2008 09:13 PM - permalink
    karibear
    I didn't see that one, but there was a similar one last year sometime. Puppymills suck rotten eggs. I think that's the worst thing the US Dept of Agriculture ever came up with as a money crop. She'll be lucky if it doesn't have any congenital diseases or defects and has had any of the usual vax. HUA.org has a long description of puppymills and how to stop them. They get a lot of rescues from mills, most of them in poor condition and sick.

I used to read the dog forum, but it gets emotionally draining, so many people asking the same questions over and over and over.
  3. dreamhunter65
    10-19-2008 08:12 PM - permalink
    dreamhunter65
    Anyone else read this thread?
    I think I have a puppy mill dog

Not good puppy mill hope she turns them in and her pup turns out good. I know Viralmd read it.
  4. Amazonchix
    10-17-2008 06:42 PM - permalink
    Amazonchix
    Welcome Cathy! You joined a great group of people with varied animal experiences!
  5. dreamhunter65
    10-16-2008 07:08 PM - permalink
    dreamhunter65
    Welcome to the group Cathy. 6 horses 6 dogs? Nice handful there. I like the fostering as get new ones in but now 12 dogs in house,5 cats 2 are fosters(even though one may be permanent foster) fish and a hermit crab. Plus 5 boy's though 1 just left for college but youngest in kindergarten. Nice though as kids love animals and I can get in schools to socialize the dogs and teach at same time on how to approach a owner and dog and such.
  6. karibear
    10-16-2008 09:29 AM - permalink
    karibear
    Hi Cathy, what part of the country are you in? I mostly had dogs, birds, and cats when I lived in AK, now I'm down to 3 dogs, 1 bird, and 1 horse. The dogs and horse are sweeties, the bird is something else again. He was DH's bird and while he tolerated and trusted me, he never liked me. Now he's finally gotten the idea that if he bites me, he doesn't get treats and scrunches and is left strictly alone. So he's gotten a lot more tolerant in the past year. 8-)
  7. cathyromine
    10-16-2008 12:25 AM - permalink
    cathyromine
    Hi, Just joined the group. I have six horses and six dogs - If they show up, we keep them. I'm an animal lover big time...Hope to chat with you guys soon.
  8. dreamhunter65
    10-15-2008 02:27 AM - permalink
    dreamhunter65
    Kari, sounds like beagle is very lucky and horse is really coming around quick not to give a swift kick. Glad other one found home also. I never used craigslist and use freecycle only to get rid of things not need like railroad ties and such and thought funny animals posted there. Here in Wisconsin good land gets bought up fast as people from big cities want it and pay any price.
  9. misfitz
    10-15-2008 01:07 AM - permalink
    misfitz
    Hi, I'm in this group and would love to be more active, but I need some help...does anyone know how to 'subscribe' to the group so I get notified when new messages post? I keep forgetting to check in, and I'm still pretty new to City Data so not quite sure how these things work. If you know how to PM me with help ('cause I have no idea), please do Thanks! And sorry to use up messaging space on my technical deficiencies
  10. karibear
    10-13-2008 12:53 PM - permalink
    karibear
    I like animals, there've been very few I disliked. That's not to say I'd try to pet a dairy bull or a boar, though, along with liking one needs to respect them for what they are. The lady who offered me the second horse found a small horse rescue in a town near her, and the yearling has a good home and prospects now. Lola and the dogs are doing great together. I call them and she shows up, too! The only one I worry about a bit is the beagle, he follows his nose instead of looking where he's going, and has bumped into her a few times. She doesn't seem to mind, now that she knows they won't hurt her, just nudges him away. He's always so surprised when it happens, and gets the funniest look on his face.

I don't know where you live, but land and houses are relatively cheap here. There were plenty of 'throw away' horses back in WA where I came from, everything from a thoroughbred found running loose near Emerald Downs that HSUS got because no one claimed it, to people simply not having time, $$, or a place to keep them anymore. Not as many as dogs of course, but still way too many. Freecycle isn't all it's cracked up to be, it's worse than craigslist in some areas. I never had anything but problems with them myself.