Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Pet Rescue

Group Created by Sam I Am

This group will be to explore the challenges and issues concerning rescue of all animals and maybe do a little networking on placement of unwanted pets. I'd ask that you keep instructional type posts on pet ownership to the main Pets forum and let's let this one be where fellow rescuers gather and brainstorm for solutions! Placements, transport, and various rescue goals will be discussed. However, we will not allow Do Not Adopts or any slamming or derogatory comments toward a particular rescue group.

Invite your friends!

View All Members Showing 10 of 165 Member(s)
Showing 5 of 32 Picture(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 131 to 140 of 209
  1. Wicked Felina
    08-20-2008 05:23 PM - permalink
    Wicked Felina
    Hi, all
    I'd love to join up with this group. Want to let you folks know that I live in the Portland, Oregon metro area. Always count me in if transport, info or contacts are needed in this area.
    Amazonchix...that's a much better idea then counting sheep! Think I'll try it.
  2. Amazonchix
    08-19-2008 05:59 PM - permalink
    Amazonchix
    Wonderful information...Sam I Am! If only I could win the lottery...there are SO many great organizations out there. When I have trouble sleeping at night, I think about winning the lottery and how I will dispense the money to these awesome non-profits!
  3. Sam I Am
    08-19-2008 05:16 PM - permalink
    Sam I Am
    Sammi...have you tried Rescue Angels on Wheels? RAOW.com I think...you have to be associated with an official rescue...actually, I'm not sure of the rules. You might find them and see what they can offer. There is a professional group, don't know if they run to NJ...unless someone can remember the info I passed on sometime, somewhere, I'll try to find it and post an update. I believe it is $100 per dog for large dogs.

EDIT: they do deliver to NJ...here's all the info:

www.rescueroadtrips.com
  4. sammi647
    08-18-2008 09:08 PM - permalink
    sammi647
    hey everyone, does anyone on here do any transport for dogs? there are 4 here at a shelter in tennessee that have a place in new jersey but we need help getting them there. or if anyone knows of anywhere else. there are 3 akita/lab mixes, a retriever mix, a pitt mix and two retriever mixes total. they were able to find a place for 4 of them so far but time has run out and they may all end up being put down which would be unbearable. if anybody can help please let me know!
  5. Keeper
    08-17-2008 07:51 AM - permalink
    Keeper
    Latest update.. we are slap full but have adopted out a few dogs, but it seems you adopt out one and 2 come in.
    The pit and her puppies are going to be adopted by a shelter worker. The AC guy says he didn't think she was a bait dog or been fighting but her nose and head are full of scars. The other dog had scars on her legs and 2 long scars that he said were from a fence and he hasn't heard of dog fighting around here. They told the previous owner he had to prove he had rabies shots for all the dogs and he had to have a fence for them. He wanted the puppies back supposedly he sells them at a flea market around here. He wanted the pit female too, but that ain't happening. He has to pay room and board plus have them spayed.

We are having 'zero' luck at planned adoptions. I think there are just too many ppl giving away puppies right now so ppl don't want to pay for one. Plus the fee is pretty high for many folks who live here.
  6. Keeper
    08-17-2008 07:43 AM - permalink
    Keeper
    Sam, what kind of dog is she? I know I had an inquiry from a rescue in SA about a lab in our shelter.

I also know a lady who is helping us who has contacts all around the US. I can ask her if she knows of anyone.
  7. Calidreemer
    08-14-2008 08:26 PM - permalink
    Calidreemer
    I don't know what happened - I can see all the pups when I look on the board - if you can't see them then you can erase my post with the photos - no sense taking up space.
  8. Sam I Am
    08-14-2008 06:13 PM - permalink
    Sam I Am
    Calidreamer, I'm getting nothing on this..just a bunch of red Xs...?

I have an urgent need as well, although there is practically nothing to do here. A family surrendered this dog:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...localeid=en_US

Surrender isn't quite the right word...they dumped her at a vet's and said they were through with her. Duchess is 6 years old, could possibly be dog aggressive with larger dogs (seems less reactive with small dogs), and HW positive...a good Samaritan will step forward and take care of the HW treatment if any possible home can be found for her. She is a snuggler with people and an absolute love. The dog aggression has not been fully assessed. It would probably take someone dog savvy to intro her to a more placid male, but then she would be fine. She's in San Antonio...if ANYONE can come up with an answer or needs a true love of their very own, please let me know and I will put you in contact with the person who is sponsoring this dog. She only has a limited time. The people who dumped her left $250 for her care, but when that runs out I think we all know what will happen. I'm begging... :-)
  9. Calidreemer
    08-13-2008 09:53 PM - permalink
    Calidreemer
    Below are the dogs that are urgent. If you know of anyone who can help, please email Nancy. Thanks for looking!
  10. Calidreemer
    08-13-2008 09:47 PM - permalink
    Calidreemer
    I received the following email today......

The shelter is beyond full and we were set to euth tomorrow 8/14 but the director will not be there so that buys these babies one more day. All of them seem to get along with other dogs. Please I am begging if anyone can save any of these sweet souls email me @ nancybarnesbc@insightbb.com or call the Bullitt County Animal Shelter @ 502-543-8686. Low cost boarding is available for $5.00 a day.