Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 04:02 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times

Advertisements

I've seen a conversion kit for a Ruger 10/22 that is within 1/4" of being an exact copy of a Tommy gun. The price was close to $1,000 for the kit and I think that included a 100 round drum.

-Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 04:40 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62inwendell View Post
Hello MM,
I'm glad you asked. It looks like we have very similar interests. I reload for eleven different calibers and if I can locate a set of .380 dies, it will be thirteen. I enjoy taking care of pest problems for farmer and ranchers here in south central Idaho. I also enjoy poking holes in paper with little bits of lead. Marmots are a problem here from March thru June and a little North-west of here, ground squirrels destroy acres & acres of farm crops if left unchecked. So, I try and check several hundred each year. That also provides feasts for the raptors in the area. Ther are foxes that kill many birds and chickens and coyotes that kill lambs and calves.
I'm pretty much a fair weather hunter. when it's cold and snowy, I read, play on this dumb computer or put together plastic model prop airplanes.
The temperature high here was 87 degrees today but I spent most of the day inside where I kept the temp. about 75 degrees.
The TV News said it was over 100 degrees in Phoenix again today. I don't envy you at all.
I'm new to this site and hope all this speal isn't against the rules.
Good shooting to you MM,
b
Thanks for your kind message InWendell. I have a set of RCBS dies for the .380 caliber that I use to reload for my brother, it's a very common caliber so you should be able to find reloading dies for it anywhere.

Now on the 100 degrees in Phoenix.. LOL.. I know you posted the message in July, and if we see 100 degrees in July and August, we call that "A Cooling Trend".. In fact it's only going to be 102 today, so I guess we have to break out the sweaters. - The high temp a couple of days ago was 113, but there's no humidity.. so it doesn't feel that bad, plus we have A/C everywhere. Besides, the weather is perfect here 7-8 months out of the year.

Thanks for your response again.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
never enthusiastic about killing but being well trained and knowledgable and prepared for the worst is a moral obligation.
thank you for your post. i am impressed that you know how to make your own ammo.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:18 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
never enthusiastic about killing but being well trained and knowledgable and prepared for the worst is a moral obligation.
thank you for your post. i am impressed that you know how to make your own ammo.
Thanks Huckleberry. I don't buy guns to kill anyone, and being a person who respects life, and the law, I will certainly NEVER commit any senseless criminal acts, with or without a weapon.

I do keep one of my guns with me just in case the need to use it for self-defense, and/or defending others arises. I am well-trained in the use of firearms, and I know exactly when I can, and cannot shoot another person in a self-defense situation, and thankfully, I never had to use one of my guns in such a situation.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:46 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,793 times
Ah yes Rifleman the Thompson SMG AKA the Chicago Piano.
My father used one in Burma, too heavy to be accurate on single shot he said, but devastating at close quarters. He loved the weapon.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:51 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Enthused-loaded, cocked, and ready-LOL!

Old 09-02-2009, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,287 times
magnum mike, I just noticed your carry handle mounted scope on your ar15. I was wondering how well your scope worked mounted like that (how well it holds zero, accuracy due to height, cheek weld issues, etc). I am in process of shopping, definitely want iron sights, but also want a decent 4-9x scope to cowitness, but have seen very few atop a carry handle--though this is my desired configuration. I would appreciate any insight you have. Thanks.
Carl

Old 09-02-2009, 04:32 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
You can get a flat-top AR with a removable carry handle - AIM Command Arms AR15/M16 Removable Carry Handle Command Arms AR15/M16 Removable Carry Handle (http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AR15_M16__Removable_Carry_Handle.html - broken link)

I have a flat-top and use a low scope mounts. For me it's a little too low. I'm going to try a cheap mid-height scope mounts on my next trip to the range. If that works, I'll riser or hi-rise scope mount on mine - http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=326

-Robert

Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
I am a new enthusiast and in my enthusiasm I have found that I can blow a LOT of money at the range with .40 S&W ammo. So now I'm looking at a .22LR pistol just for the range and I like the Sig Mosquito. Does anyone have any feedback on the good and bad of them or any other .22LR pistol? I like how the Mosquito is almost the size of a "real" Sig and I REALLY like the price of .22LR rounds. I can get crazy with them and still afford to eat

Old 09-02-2009, 10:31 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I am a new enthusiast and in my enthusiasm I have found that I can blow a LOT of money at the range with .40 S&W ammo. So now I'm looking at a .22LR pistol just for the range and I like the Sig Mosquito. Does anyone have any feedback on the good and bad of them or any other .22LR pistol? I like how the Mosquito is almost the size of a "real" Sig and I REALLY like the price of .22LR rounds. I can get crazy with them and still afford to eat
The Mosquito is about 7/8 the size of the "full size" Sigs. I bought one recently, but haven't yet had the chance to shoot it. The biggest complaint I have heard about them is that they can be finicky when it comes to ammo. Sig recommends CCI Mini-Mags exclusively. That is what they test it with, and what they tune the gun to run with. There are probably other brands of ammo that will work in many Mosquitos, but there are several others that won't work well in most of them. Most of the reviews I've read stated several types that worked pretty well as well as some that didn't, but the results varied greatly on which brands did what. CCI Mini-Mags were almost universally reliable in the reports I read.

The local gun shop where I live recently received their shipment of GSG-5 rifles that were ordered back in January. I am thinking about picking one up, since it's a neat looking rifle (MP-5 clone), and cheap to shoot. Reviews have been mixed on them, as well, but are more favorable than not..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting