Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 12:59 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,751,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I'll worry about my conscience after my family is safe. They come first. The idiot who breaks into my house at o'dark thirty does not rank high on my list.
It should go case by case as they are all individual. If the perp broke out in tears and said, pleading for his life...."PLEASE DON'T SHOOT...DON'T KILL ME...PLEASE DON'T KILL ME...I DON'T WANT TO DIE TODAY! You better stand down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 01:08 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,751,329 times
What then? "Get those hands up...get 'em up high where I can them...kneel down on your knees and cross your ankles...SHUT UP AND DON'T MOVE!" *Telephone please...911*

Old 04-04-2012, 07:07 AM

457 posts, read 889,422 times
Our first line of defense would be my two dogs. I have a female lab mix that sounds the alarm at a leave blowing across the lawn (lol), and a male pit mix, who hardly ever makes a sound until he feels it's truly necessary. I know when he barks or growls, someone best be checking it out. If Dad's at home, then I think the dogs would mostly let him handle it. If I'm home alone, well...my pit mix is a mamma's boy through and through, and would guard me with his life. Normally he's very lovable with all people. I've seen him growl at two people, and both were at times when my S/O was not at home with us. That growl...scared even me! I was very shocked to hear it, and a bit relieved at the same time. He meant business. Both times the guys were there to do business (on invitation) so I put him up to be on the safe side.

If they make it past the dogs, then I have a 9mm on my nighstand, a 12g under the bed on my side, and a .45 under the bed on his side. Upstairs, we've got a 12g in each room. We have no children in the home EVER, so the guns are always loaded.

Hopefully, we're covered.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:08 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBBARK View Post
It should go case by case as they are all individual. If the perp broke out in tears and said, pleading for his life...."PLEASE DON'T SHOOT...DON'T KILL ME...PLEASE DON'T KILL ME...I DON'T WANT TO DIE TODAY! You better stand down!
I disagree.

A perp in my home wouldn't have enough time to say all that. Once I knew he was in my sight, the next thing I would feel is the recoil of the weapon. I certainly would not wait for him to utter a long soliloquy. How do I know he is not buying time for another perp behind me? If he didn't want to die, he should not have entered my home. And if he was alone and even felt legitimate remorse in his last seconds on this earth, why did he not feel that remorse before illegally entering my home?

I prefer to not shoot someone in my home, but would not hesitate to do so. I pray that it is something I never have to experience.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:46 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
1st line of defense = mindset

2nd line of defense = prevention (don't look like a target, keep your home maintained on the exterior with defensive lighting, good locks/security system, break resistant windows/storms, well considered landscaping which doesn't allow ner-do-wells to hide/discouraging landscaping (thorns).

3rd line of defense = plan/training (have a plan for escape if possible, plan to alert EMS, plan to defend one's life and the mindset and training to carry out that plan when necessary).

Old 04-07-2012, 03:54 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
1st line of defense = mindset

2nd line of defense = prevention (don't look like a target, keep your home maintained on the exterior with defensive lighting, good locks/security system, break resistant windows/storms, well considered landscaping which doesn't allow ner-do-wells to hide/discouraging landscaping (thorns).

3rd line of defense = plan/training (have a plan for escape if possible, plan to alert EMS, plan to defend one's life and the mindset and training to carry out that plan when necessary).
Apart from the bold red highlighted I agree with you although escape from an armed civilian attack is not part of my plan. But I'll only notify the government if my assessment afterwards indicates that that's the prudent course. Unless others have heard the commotion and already run squealing to the government it would be likely a bad idea to notify them. First. I don't wish them to be snooping around or suspecting I have anything worth stealing. Second, I wish to interrogate any live attackers I may capture. I'll wish to know why they attacked me and who else may know about it. I am sure that even in Wyoming government employees have arrogated this course of action to themselves. It's also possible that my attackers could have items of value I would wish to keep.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:59 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Apart from the bold red highlighted I agree with you although escape from an armed civilian attack is not part of my plan. But I'll only notify the government if my assessment afterwards indicates that that's the prudent course. Unless others have heard the commotion and already run squealing to the government it would be likely a bad idea to notify them. First. I don't wish them to be snooping around or suspecting I have anything worth stealing. Second, I wish to interrogate any live attackers I may capture. I'll wish to know why they attacked me and who else may know about it. I am sure that even in Wyoming government employees have arrogated this course of action to themselves. It's also possible that my attackers could have items of value I would wish to keep.
In a WORL scenario your plans are workable. However, for now, current laws withstanding, I choose not to break the law and have the criminal be let loose and me placed behind bars for unlawful armed kidnapping/theft. YMMV

This is where "stand your ground" laws come into play within one's home/vehicle, and state legislative wording dependent, anywhere else one is legally allowed to be.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:30 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
First line of defense: 115 pound North American Red Wolf, Desert Eagle for whatever's left.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:43 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,470,532 times
Default California Style

http://youtu.be/wypFgcqHyvc

Old 04-12-2012, 08:01 PM

774 posts, read 2,601,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydS View Post
Just thinking out loud here folks.

Home break-in.

Hopefully, you never experience this situation .. but if does happen what would you do...?

It could happen at any time of day or night these days, so how well are you prepared for this unfortunate intrusion in your life..? I got to thinking about how I would handle this myself. Me being a male, I would just go for one of my handguns I have hidden. But then I really got to thinking .. how would my wife handle the situation if she was alone in our home.

Yes, my wife is trained on every firearm in our house and is a very good shot. Yeah all those good shots are only at the range with no pressure or threat. It takes time to retrieve a handgun, aim and shoot with accuracy when being threatened. It could be only seconds for you to react and the handgun may not be the weapon of choice at first.

I'm thinking that either mace or pepper spray would be a great 1st line defense. Kept in a easably accessible location this spray could be used to distract (or disable) the intruder enough to retrieve a handgun. Once the intruder is disabled and you have a loaded handgun pointed at the individual, what is your next move..? Yell, shoot, call 911 or what, I'll leave that up to you.

My point is to use mace or pepper spray as a 1st line of defense to stay the intruder off guard to give time for retrieval of firearm that is nearby.

Just me thinking out loud,,,

Your thoughts are welcome............

Pepper spray is a very bad idea. You're way too close for comfort and you'll most likely end up catching a good part of it yourself.

As for a firearm. They are only good if you can get to them and having them stashed around the house will most likely do you no good as you will have to fight your way to get to them. If you're not armed already then getting to a hidden gun could be almost impossible.

You should look at your weapons and decide on one that is comfortable for you to carry 24/7 then do the same for your wife. If you don't have something that fits that requirement then you should buy one.

I own several firearms but after much soul searching I decided that the best fit for every minute carry was a snub nose revolver. Simple to use and anvil tough and reliable. It will allow me to be armed every minute of the day and still be comfortable. At the same time I can use it to defend my family while getting to one of the other guns if necessary.

As I sit here typing I have an SP101 in .357 in my front pocket. My GF is watching TV about 10 ft away and she has the other SP101 in .38 tucked in a back holster. My SP2022 is in the desk draw about a foot away.

Some think I'm paranoid but the truth is I see whats happening around me and it isn't pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting