Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 02:29 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
LMAO. I thought they ship it to your house.

I keep a serrated knife and a baseball bat next to my bed. I had a regular knife but somebody told me to switch it to a serrated one, so that's what I did. I dunno. Obviously they aren't going to do anything though if someone breaks in and holds you at gunpoint.
A serrated knife is more likely to cause immediate and serious trauma to your assailant because the serrations rip at tissue whereas a straight razor slices cleanly through it. Say your assailant is high on adrenaline when he attacks. He may not even feel it. Sure he'll still be cut, but if he doesn't notice until the excitement dies down, think about what that means for you. When you think about using a knife for self defense, you cannot always count on a "stabbing" motion because that is fairly easy to block. Also you are engaged in a close-quarter struggle, you may not be able to but the thrust behind it. You may be relegated to slicing blows. Serrated blades are going to induce favorable results for you a lot faster.

Knife fighting is ugly. Get a gun, get trained, and shoot the ******* before it comes to using the knife!

Last edited by ElkHunter; 09-07-2012 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 02:33 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,641 times
Quote:
what names of stores or reputable online places sell guns? regular every day hand guns, cheap, nothing fancy I mean. obviously i know nothing about this. for example someone told me once wal mart sells guns. i never seen anything like that and i been in wal mart supercenters before. maybe it depend on where you live then for the wal mart to have something like that? I don't know. i reside in nj. if you have any helpful info on this it's appreciated. thanks
I've been in WalMarts that sell guns. I have no idea whether that's a state-by-state thing, or not.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:26 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Yes, the walmart is a regional thing. For a time rosie mcdonald used her immense weight to pressure wally world to not sell firearms if they wanted her to be a spokesman.
Decades ago we could buy firearms at Sears and Montgomery Wards. These were high quality made firearms with a different name stamped on them for sale.

With new federal firearms laws you will have to purchase any new firearms in a gun store.

One exception as there always are exceptions is black powder firearms. These can be purchased with no waiting period and can be shipped to your doorstep. Cabela's, Sportsman guide, Bass Pro will sell them on the internet and ship them direct.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:40 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
OP, since you are not that familiar with guns, as far as I can tell from your posts, consider a relatively short-barreled shotgun over a pistol or revolver, or a rifle.

Will be easier for you to buy in NJ than a handgun anyway.

Do try to get to some sort of range and shoot up say a box of shells so you are familiar with the shotgun and you will break it in, and have some confidence it will work if you need it.

Something like an 870 Remington pump is hard to beat. If you are small, they make a 20-gauge youth model that might work better for you.

Most thugs know what someone "racking" a pump gun sounds like, and will take you a lot more seriously after they hear that sound.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:38 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Doll Eyes....again - I'm not familiar w/NJ retail operations - but in Texas, we have gun shops - places where the counter folks are more likely to have real knowledge about guns, rather than just someone that filled out an employment application like you'll run into at Walmart. THAT is why I recommended looking up gun shops. Dick's is the LAST place I'd go personally - overpriced, and generally their folks know less than spit about the guns they offer.

Gun ownership isn't just about going down, picking out something that looks "cool", and taking it home, prepared to repel attackers. You need to KNOW the gun - how to operate it, how to aim, WHEN you can legally use it - and the consequences of same. In Texas, we have juries that tend to tell DA's to stuff it if they try to bring a homeowner up on charges of shooting a crook - not sure how NJ law is. Seems to me that I heard that certain ammo types are banned in NJ - that's why I suggest gun shops with knowledgeable folks behind the counter, because they will be (usually) more familiar with the laws, etc. They'll also be likely to know where the local ranges are, and which ones would be best for a beginner to go to.

The NRA offers training programs geared towards teaching women gun safety/operation. If you'd like, PM me your email addy and hometown, and I'll pass it on to one of our state reps, and ask her to get someone in your area in contact with you.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
LMAO. I thought they ship it to your house.
Doll Eyes, they once did. That was when the Constitution meant something in this country. But those happy days are gone. Now, I'll give you the really bad news. New Jersey gun laws are savage; they're designed to make gun ownership very difficult for people. If you go out of state and buy a handgun in a private sale the state of New Jersey will put you in prison if you use it to defend yourself.

If you don't know the procedure go to a gun store and ask them to explain it to you. If you're willing to jump through the hoops including giving them your fingerprints you can buy a handgun. If you're not you can move to a less restrictive state or buy a gun illegally. Those are your only choices.

Under federal law guns made before 1899 are considered antiques and are exempt. However, the state of New Jersey does not recognize this.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:03 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
One exception as there always are exceptions is black powder firearms. These can be purchased with no waiting period and can be shipped to your doorstep. Cabela's, Sportsman guide, Bass Pro will sell them on the internet and ship them direct.
They won't ship to New Jersey.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:12 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
what names of stores or reputable online places sell guns? regular every day hand guns, cheap, nothing fancy I mean. obviously i know nothing about this. for example someone told me once wal mart sells guns. i never seen anything like that and i been in wal mart supercenters before. maybe it depend on where you live then for the wal mart to have something like that? I don't know. i reside in nj. if you have any helpful info on this it's appreciated. thanks

Do you know anything about weapons, safety, how to use them or even held a handgun or actually seen a handgun?
If you haven't please do not purchase a weapon without going to a weapons/firearms safety class (I don't mean your cousins, brothers, friend has a friend who looked at a gun once class either) and learn all about safety, cleaning, how to shoot properly, how to handle properly, when to use it properly, etc.
Even though I have been around weapons most of my life I took a safety course with professionals who are currently police officers, currently in the military or formerly one or the other who also shoot competatively. It was one on one and each instructor worked with each student to identify the type of gun that would be most comfortable to use and safe for the individual student depending on their knowledge, experience, and their hand size. I used a glock, 9mm with a custom handle grip because it was smaller because I have small hands and it still kicked back a wee bit more than I was comfortable with at first. After I used it a few times I got the feel of it and control was all mine and it was a great weapon for me.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:33 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
They won't ship to New Jersey.
"as there always are exceptions"

Old 09-07-2012, 04:38 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Doll Eyes - Buds Guns is probably one the biggest most reliable online gun stores:

Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop

I've never bought from them, but have read hundreds of folks on gun message boards who have and were satisfied with their service.

They do tend to have better prices than most "brick & mortar" gun shops.

As somebody mentioned, you have to supply them with the info of your local FFL dealer so they can ship it there.

The FFL dealer will charge a fee ranging from $25-$50 to process it for you and to have you comply with all federal, state, & local laws and paperwork....including the background check.

As others have mentioned, take a gun safety class before you proceed, and brush up on your local laws. New Jersey is rather infamous among the gun "world" for having extremely strict laws that you never want to run afoul of for any reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting