Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:41 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Yes, the walmart is a regional thing. For a time rosie mcdonald used her immense weight to pressure wally world to not sell firearms if they wanted her to be a spokesman.
Decades ago we could buy firearms at Sears and Montgomery Wards. These were high quality made firearms with a different name stamped on them for sale.

With new federal firearms laws you will have to purchase any new firearms in a gun store.

One exception as there always are exceptions is black powder firearms. These can be purchased with no waiting period and can be shipped to your doorstep. Cabela's, Sportsman guide, Bass Pro will sell them on the internet and ship them direct.

Not all states allow shipping of black powder firearms to your house.

I remember back in the early 1980s my local K-Mart used to sell rifles, shotguns, and handguns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 11:32 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
Wouldn't you also need a purchase permit of some sort in NJ, or is that for handguns only?

Old 09-10-2012, 05:35 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
NJ has a firearm purchasers ID card system for purchasing guns. The key word is purchasing, as you can bring a NJ legal gun into the state if you move there or if you're hunting there or somesuch, but as a NJ resident you won't be able to avoid it, and you have to pay a sizeable sum for the privilege of being treated like a criminal (fingerprinted, etc., last I heard), and they even classify BB guns as firearms. One of the worst states in the country to be a gun owner in. Don't even think about carrying your gun around outside your home there unless you're going to a shooting range, a gunsmith, a shooting competition or hunting, and then it'll need to be unloaded, etc.

Stick with getting a shotgun, handguns are harder to get there. There's magazine capacity restrictions there.

Walmart won't sell guns in NJ as far as I know. They do in VT but then, we still have the RKBA here. Find a good gun store.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:56 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,421,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
what names of stores or reputable online places sell guns? regular every day hand guns, cheap, nothing fancy I mean. obviously i know nothing about this. for example someone told me once wal mart sells guns. i never seen anything like that and i been in wal mart supercenters before. maybe it depend on where you live then for the wal mart to have something like that? I don't know. i reside in nj. if you have any helpful info on this it's appreciated. thanks
Walmart only sells Shotguns and Rifles, same with Dicks Sporting Goods. Everything else you buy at Gun Shops, but if your profile is correct and your in NJ, who knows. Your NOT in America! at least as far as your rights as a Citizen and the 2nd Amendment are concerned.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:55 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,041 times
Used to be most hardware stores or feed / farm supply stores sold guns. As time went by the ATF became more a bunch of douchebags and made it harder to maintain the FFL, so most dont anymore

Old 09-12-2012, 09:11 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Around here: Sporting goods stores (Dunams, Dicks, Cabellas etc); Meijers stores (kind of like a super wallmart only better); some small harware stores; I do not recall seeing them at Wallmart, but they sell ammo. they are often sold at swap meet type places, some of which are event based and some of which are year round. I see them at yard sales and auctions freuquently. Selling handguns at a yard sale may be illegal, but I am pretty sure rifles are not illegal. I see them at 1 in 6 yard sales. THere are ads in the paper for guns for sale. OSme are individuals, some are dealers who just work out of their homes.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:25 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Used to be most hardware stores or feed / farm supply stores sold guns. As time went by the ATF became more a bunch of douchebags and made it harder to maintain the FFL, so most dont anymore
The farm/feed store here in town is the best gun store anywhere around. They have approximately 200 rifles and shotguns on display and over 100 handguns. They actually carry more than the local Sporting goods store.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:34 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
NJ does a pretty good job of keeping legal guns out of the hands of nutcases, loonies and generally slow people. Just like all the other states NJ is not able to keep guns away from criminals.

It does take a while to get a permit in NJ but what the police don't want is to give you a permit because you just had an argument with your neighbor and you are pissed off because you daughter is having sex with your neighbors kid and you might want revenge.

To answer you question, there are plenty of gun shops but I don't know if Wallmart sells guns in NJ.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:07 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
NJ has a firearm purchasers ID card system for purchasing guns. The key word is purchasing, as you can bring a NJ legal gun into the state if you move there or if you're hunting there or somesuch, but as a NJ resident you won't be able to avoid it, and you have to pay a sizeable sum for the privilege of being treated like a criminal (fingerprinted, etc., last I heard), and they even classify BB guns as firearms. One of the worst states in the country to be a gun owner in. Don't even think about carrying your gun around outside your home there unless you're going to a shooting range, a gunsmith, a shooting competition or hunting, and then it'll need to be unloaded, etc.

Stick with getting a shotgun, handguns are harder to get there. There's magazine capacity restrictions there.

Walmart won't sell guns in NJ as far as I know. They do in VT but then, we still have the RKBA here. Find a good gun store.

this is a good post and simple to understand. there's almost TOO much info out there.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:09 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Do you know anything about weapons, safety, how to use them or even held a handgun or actually seen a handgun?
If you haven't please do not purchase a weapon without going to a weapons/firearms safety class (I don't mean your cousins, brothers, friend has a friend who looked at a gun once class either) and learn all about safety, cleaning, how to shoot properly, how to handle properly, when to use it properly, etc.
Even though I have been around weapons most of my life I took a safety course with professionals who are currently police officers, currently in the military or formerly one or the other who also shoot competatively. It was one on one and each instructor worked with each student to identify the type of gun that would be most comfortable to use and safe for the individual student depending on their knowledge, experience, and their hand size. I used a glock, 9mm with a custom handle grip because it was smaller because I have small hands and it still kicked back a wee bit more than I was comfortable with at first. After I used it a few times I got the feel of it and control was all mine and it was a great weapon for me.

no i do not know anything about weapons or safety. there's alot of info on it online and honestly it can't be that difficult. my 12 year old cousin uses a hunting rifle. the safety course does sound like a good idea though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting