Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:17 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times

Advertisements

Sporting goods stores such as Academy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 12:49 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
this is a good post and simple to understand. there's almost TOO much info out there.
Gun laws vary widely from state to state. NJ, NY, and Ma are some of the very worst, with the most draconian law.

In jersey you will need a permit to BUY, and after that i have no idea what else, other than you will have to pass a NICS check on the spot, and could be delayed.

No one is getting any gun mail ordered off line with no FFL in line, unless it is a black powder gun and in a state that this would be legal.

One way for you to check on that quick is to see the shipping details from Sportsman's Guide for either knives or anything they have for black powder guns.

Walmarts in NH sell long guns.... But you must be a NH resident to buy.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:12 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Gun laws vary widely from state to state. NJ, NY, and Ma are some of the very worst, with the most draconian law.

In jersey you will need a permit to BUY, and after that i have no idea what else, other than you will have to pass a NICS check on the spot, and could be delayed.

No one is getting any gun mail ordered off line with no FFL in line, unless it is a black powder gun and in a state that this would be legal.

One way for you to check on that quick is to see the shipping details from Sportsman's Guide for either knives or anything they have for black powder guns.

Walmarts in NH sell long guns.... But you must be a NH resident to buy.
I have read that NJ seems to have terrible gun ownership laws. It's starting not to be worth it.

well i don't have any kind of bad background but i have mental health problems. someone one another site told me they look into your mental stability. if that's the case, then this thread is moot. LOL.

i was just looking for something very simple, small, easy to use to keep in the nightstand. I live alone with a small dog, a mini pin.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:46 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
I have read that NJ seems to have terrible gun ownership laws. It's starting not to be worth it.

well i don't have any kind of bad background but i have mental health problems. someone one another site told me they look into your mental stability. if that's the case, then this thread is moot. LOL.

i was just looking for something very simple, small, easy to use to keep in the nightstand. I live alone with a small dog, a mini pin.
Why don't you move to Wyoming?

No permit needed to purchase, possess, carry in your vehicle, carry on your hip, or carry concealed. I

t's legal to buy from private parties with no paperwork at gun shows, flea markets, yard sales, coffee shops, or anywhere your heart desires.

We have no state income tax either; sales tax is maximum 5%; property tax averages about 1/2 of 1% of market value. Lots of jobs, great weatrher (never a hot, humid day here).

Fifth lowest state in violent crime. That means virtually none.

No fleas either.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:

If you have no criminal convictions you will meet muster in most places outside NJ.....

More or less NJ is the main problem, as would be NY or Ma.....

Happy in Wyoming has a point....... NH would be the same point.....

On the other hand it takes more than having a gun in a night stand to be able to use it.

It takes training, a mind set and knowing LAW well enough that you don't end up in prison for murder.

It isn't easy....... It is kinda like a scenario of SHTF...... if you do nothing for ever and then shtf you can't get it done to go on... No one has that learning curve and or funds to put up supplies at the instant they are needed. And after the supplies would run out what then? You would need to have other lessons to be more advanced to continue in a future.

The one thing you can do is begin to learn now, like today.... But that is up to you.

IMO nothing will be like it was forever...

Old 09-12-2012, 02:59 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
I remember when Sears, JC Penny's, Woolworth, Montgomery Wards and some drug stores sold guns....Meh!

That was before we turned into a nation of whiny *******!

Last edited by ElkHunter; 09-12-2012 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 09-12-2012, 03:03 PM

LL Beans used to sell guns and assorted hunting equipts too. Now the most dangerous item LL Bean sells is a tennis racket

Old 09-12-2012, 04:10 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
NJ does a pretty good job of keeping legal guns out of the hands of nutcases, loonies and generally slow people. Just like all the other states NJ is not able to keep guns away from criminals.

It does take a while to get a permit in NJ but what the police don't want is to give you a permit because you just had an argument with your neighbor and you are pissed off because you daughter is having sex with your neighbors kid and you might want revenge.

To answer you question, there are plenty of gun shops but I don't know if Wallmart sells guns in NJ.
The second amendment is not subservient to the cops' discretion. NJ's laws are working wonders, Camden is a crime-free utopia compared to the Wild West-like Vermont (tongue in cheek).

Old 09-12-2012, 04:14 PM

Oh I know arctichomesteader..... Every cow in Vt is armed to the udder!

Old 09-12-2012, 05:37 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Why don't you move to Wyoming?

No permit needed to purchase, possess, carry in your vehicle, carry on your hip, or carry concealed. I

t's legal to buy from private parties with no paperwork at gun shows, flea markets, yard sales, coffee shops, or anywhere your heart desires.

We have no state income tax either; sales tax is maximum 5%; property tax averages about 1/2 of 1% of market value. Lots of jobs, great weatrher (never a hot, humid day here).

Fifth lowest state in violent crime. That means virtually none.

No fleas either.
I have no interest in moving to Wyoming (no offense) especially just to purchase a firearm. sounds kind of scary that anyone and everyone can get a permit there though....

As I said I live in a relatively low crime area, in the 'burbs and there's been a few break ins, no murders or anything like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting