Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's a better first gun for a beginner?
.22lr 20 64.52%
9mm 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:53 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post

For the 9mm I'll take a look at the PPQ. But I was considering a Beretta 92FS.
I can vouch for the Beretta. It's about as user-friendly a gun for a new shooter as you're going to find. The U.S. military has been using it for about 30 years now, a ringing endorsement IMHO. Keep in mind, the military takes a lot of guys who have never even handled a pistol and turns them into competent shooters in volume on an annual basis. To be able to do that, you need a durable and reliable platform (military weapons take some abuse but tend to be well maintained throughout their life cycle) and functionally user-friendly. The Beretta is by no means a "must have" for any collector, but if you're just starting out you can't go wrong with the 92FS. It's an affordable gun, solid quality, and you'll never have trouble finding parts/accessories for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 08:57 PM

77 posts, read 89,304 times
Default My original vote was going to be .22

since it was my first gun.

But then I realized it wasn't.
My first gun was a bb gun.

I'm not entirely serious, but give it some thought.
I vaguely remember reading about the army in the late 60's using bb guns to teach quick, reflexive shooting.

I haven't heard much about it since, so I'm guessing it wasn't a big success.

Remember that sometimes, if you're really feeling conflicted about a couple of choices, it just means that either choice is acceptable.

So, make a choice.

Have some fun.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:58 PM

141 posts, read 162,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I can vouch for the Beretta. It's about as user-friendly a gun for a new shooter as you're going to find. The U.S. military has been using it for about 30 years now, a ringing endorsement IMHO. Keep in mind, the military takes a lot of guys who have never even handled a pistol and turns them into competent shooters in volume on an annual basis. To be able to do that, you need a durable and reliable platform (military weapons take some abuse but tend to be well maintained throughout their life cycle) and functionally user-friendly. The Beretta is by no means a "must have" for any collector, but if you're just starting out you can't go wrong with the 92FS. It's an affordable gun, solid quality, and you'll never have trouble finding parts/accessories for it.
5" barrel and 124 grain FMJ go together like buffalo wings and cold beer. Anyone even remotely competent can't hardly miss with one.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:03 PM

141 posts, read 162,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zardac View Post
since it was my first gun.

But then I realized it wasn't.
My first gun was a bb gun.

I'm not entirely serious, but give it some thought.
I vaguely remember reading about the army in the late 60's using bb guns to teach quick, reflexive shooting.

I haven't heard much about it since, so I'm guessing it wasn't a big success.

Remember that sometimes, if you're really feeling conflicted about a couple of choices, it just means that either choice is acceptable.

So, make a choice.

Have some fun.
Not at Fort Leonard Wood in 1960. It was a M1 Garand 30.06 M2 ball.

Ain't that right "YOUNG HERO"?

9.5 POUNDS SIR!!

Old 01-30-2015, 06:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I suggest a used Ruger 10-22 semiautomatic rifle and a Ruger #1 (?) semiautomatic pistol in .22LR. The guns are relatively inexpensive and accurate enough to encourage learning. I suggest hiring an instructor for the basics.

FWIW - New Hampshire loves to sell firearms and most anything else to residents of Mass.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:06 AM

77 posts, read 89,304 times
Default Now I feel like I gotta google

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCP Island View Post
Not at Fort Leonard Wood in 1960. It was a M1 Garand 30.06 M2 ball.

Ain't that right "YOUNG HERO"?

9.5 POUNDS SIR!!
Armed Forces: Quick Kill - TIME

You're right on with the "young hero" designation... except the youth and heroism- that's me!

Old 01-30-2015, 09:39 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,081,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I suggest a used Ruger 10-22 semiautomatic rifle and a Ruger #1 (?) semiautomatic pistol in .22LR. The guns are relatively inexpensive and accurate enough to encourage learning. I suggest hiring an instructor for the basics.

FWIW - New Hampshire loves to sell firearms and most anything else to residents of Mass.
How does an out of state purchase for an MA resident work? Wouldn't the NH store have to transfer the gun to a FFL in MA?

Old 01-30-2015, 09:48 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
How does an out of state purchase for an MA resident work? Wouldn't the NH store have to transfer the gun to a FFL in MA?
For firearm purchases across state lines:
Long gun: You must purchase through an FFL, but it doesn't matter which state. You may drive to the other state, purchase from an FFL in that state, then drive home with the gun. However, if you have it shipped, it must be shipped to an FFL if crossing state lines.
Handgun: You must purchase through an FFL in your state. This means you have to get an FFL out of state to transfer (ship) the handgun to an FFL in-state who transfers it to you. Many stores near state lines have reciprocal arrangements with an FFL across the line so the fee isn't that huge.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:08 AM

129 posts, read 304,101 times
whichever you decision is, some .22lr guns are modeled after their 9mm counterparts. so you may want to look into that if you want to get used to the size/training/field stripping.

you could always buy both if you come across some good deals (and you dont mind color).
i picked up an SR-22 from gander for $199. its purple. "its my wifes gun"
oh and ruger had a special that they sent you 2 extra mags and a 222 (or something like that) box of ammo.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:39 AM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Point away!! The last time I was at a local gun show, 1000 rounds of reloaded 9mm ran me $189! And that was up from the $160 I had paid just the month before!!
That's a good price! At my range, on Black Friday, they were selling 500-count buckets of 9mm reloads for just under a hundred bucks, (plus local sales tax). Picked up enough to last me until next Black Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting