Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 12:46 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,728,463 times

Advertisements

Need some knowledgeable advice. I'm looking to buy a 9mm handgun for home defense and target practice. My wife has tiny hands (glove size 4 or 6), and mine are not huge, either.

I'm looking for something that she can easily grab and quickly shoot in a home-defense situation--so I need either DA/SA or DA only. (I can see her getting flustered having to rack the slide under pressure.) It also needs to not be unduly heavy nor have a long trigger reach.

I would like something high-quality that will last decades in the budget above. (I really like what I read of the Browning Hi-Power but can't justify spending that much.) I've already settled on 9mm for various reasons (cost and capacity, mostly).

Here's what I'm looking at:

Walther PPQ
Sig P320 (interchangeable grips)
HK VP9 (interchangeable grips)
FNS-9
Kahr 9
S&W MP9c (though the stock trigger is reportedly not great)

In order to get a light-ish gun with an easy trigger pull, I'm open to a compact--though most likely I won't end up carrying. We prefer something made in the USA, Germany, Belgium or Austria. And customer service counts for a lot!

I know everyone will say we should go to a gun store and shoot them in person, but there aren't any nearby, most won't let you actually shoot them (just handle them), and it's just easier (and more cost-effective) to buy online.

Thanks for any advice/thoughts.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 12-20-2015 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 03:02 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
My advice would be a 6 shot revolver. Easy and simple to use. An automatic can be confusing if not used all the time and they are more prone to jamming than a revolver.

I plan on trading my 9mm for a revolver.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
My advice would be a 6 shot revolver. Easy and simple to use. An automatic can be confusing if not used all the time and they are more prone to jamming than a revolver.
Thanks for the suggestion. I do like revolvers, but as you may know, they generally don't come in 9mm. (I think there was one made briefly in the '90s that's now worth a ton of money.) And being restricted to six shots isn't ideal for either HD (unless you're a reliable dead shot even while sleepy) or targets.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:15 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,026,691 times
OP may i ask what sort if experience you and your wife have with handguns? Only asking as one with little to no familiarity with these types of firearms with shorter grips, etc can have some initial trouble and a learning curve on control and preventing the shots going low and left. If little experience then the chance to try different models live is preferred. If a range doesnt offer it perhaps a local club or group may be of help.
And for small hands perhaps add the SW Shield to the list seeing as it is a single stack and a little narrower that a compact MP.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
OP may i ask what sort if experience you and your wife have with handguns? Only asking as one with little to no familiarity with these types of firearms with shorter grips, etc can have some initial trouble and a learning curve on control and preventing the shots going low and left. If little experience then the chance to try different models live is preferred. If a range doesnt offer it perhaps a local club or group may be of help.
And for small hands perhaps add the SW Shield to the list seeing as it is a single stack and a little narrower that a compact MP.
Fair question. We both have what I'd call occasional experience over the years: We've shot rented semiauto guns at ranges (9mm) and with friends, using their guns. We've also done 20-gauge skeet shooting.

Thanks for the recc on the Shield. I'm doing tons of research and finding myself leaning 18 different directions. I like that S&W reportedly has great customer service and is made in USA. Same with Ruger and Springfield. (I shot my friend's XDM and loved it. But I'm not sure if it would be too big for the wife's hands.) But then I read a post on the SW forum (of all places) from a guy who'd had all kinds of SW guns and now swears by HK.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:59 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,829,130 times
I'd also agree with the suggestion to consider a revolver. The inherent simplicity eliminates several potential issues (having to rack the slide and/or clearing a jam/misfire in a panic situation). In the unlikely event of a misfire, you just have to pull the trigger again.

If you're dead-set on 9mm, there are revolvers currently available in 9mm as well as 380, 40 S&W, and even 45 ACP from manufacturers such as Ruger, Taurus, Charter, and Smith & Wesson.

Additionally, there are more than a few 7-shot and 8-shot revolvers available if you're that concerned about capacity. But, it's my understanding that the overwhelming majority of home defense incidents involve between 0-3 shots being fired.

Since you've had experience with shotguns, that might be something you may want to consider as a shotgun is an outstanding home defense option. There are some very nice home defense ammo choices for shotguns today.

I have a pair of revolvers and a shotgun in place for home defense that my wife is able to use if needed.

These are just some things to consider, as each person needs to make the best decision for themselves regarding how to best protect their families. Best of luck.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:12 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,894,423 times
Why wouldn't you go to any local gun shop and check what is available? Look how it sits at your hand, what kind of trigger it has, etc. Being able to go to a place with rental handguns and shooting them, would be even better.

Consider buying at higher end of your price range a quality steel frame. If you insist on 9mm, it should be able to handle 9mm+P. I'd suggest looking at .45 for home defence, best round against a drug addict.

Remember, lighter gun has heavier recoil than beefier guns... So, don't go for lightest weight, you aren't going hiking with it in the mountains (unless you are). Even then, heavier recoil => more difficult to control the gun for the second shot.

All above is just imho from gun enthusiast, not a professional opinion.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:31 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Thanks for the recc on the Shield. I'm doing tons of research and finding myself leaning 18 different directions. I like that S&W reportedly has great customer service and is made in USA. Same with Ruger and Springfield. (I shot my friend's XDM and loved it. But I'm not sure if it would be too big for the wife's hands.)
Keep in mind that the smaller/lighter gun you go with, the more perceived recoil will be felt.

My Shield 9mm is much more pleasant to shoot than my Ruger LCP .380, which is actually painful after 25 rounds, and if it hurts to shoot you won't practice like you should.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:06 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times
I highly recommend the Ruger SR9 - around $400, 17+1 capacity, VERY slim grip for a double stack (adjustable too), and Ruger's customer service (if needed) is second to none. Try handling one at a range or your LGS, the grip ergonomics are really nice. There is also a compact version, the SR9c

Ruger® SR9® Centerfire Pistol Models

If you want to go single stack compact polymer 9mm, there are lots of choices: Ruger LC9s, Sig, Kahr CW9, Kahr P9, S&W M&P, just to name a few.

The Ruger LCP is of course a .380 and is pretty "snappy" to shoot. Good little gun, but I retired mine in favor of a Kahr CT380.

Bersa also makes a good value .380.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I'd also agree with the suggestion to consider a revolver. The inherent simplicity eliminates several potential issues (having to rack the slide and/or clearing a jam/misfire in a panic situation). In the unlikely event of a misfire, you just have to pull the trigger again.

If you're dead-set on 9mm, there are revolvers currently available in 9mm as well as 380, 40 S&W, and even 45 ACP from manufacturers such as Ruger, Taurus, Charter, and Smith & Wesson.

Additionally, there are more than a few 7-shot and 8-shot revolvers available if you're that concerned about capacity. But, it's my understanding that the overwhelming majority of home defense incidents involve between 0-3 shots being fired.

Since you've had experience with shotguns, that might be something you may want to consider as a shotgun is an outstanding home defense option. There are some very nice home defense ammo choices for shotguns today.

I have a pair of revolvers and a shotgun in place for home defense that my wife is able to use if needed.

These are just some things to consider, as each person needs to make the best decision for themselves regarding how to best protect their families. Best of luck.
Thanks for the info and advice! Good to know there are now some 9mm revolvers; I think I'd read about the S&W ones of the '90s a few years ago. An eight-shot revolver would be fantastic in case of multiple bad guys or just convenience at the range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Why wouldn't you go to any local gun shop and check what is available? Look how it sits at your hand, what kind of trigger it has, etc. Being able to go to a place with rental handguns and shooting them, would be even better.
I know that's good advice--it's just that I've been procrastinating so long and the nearest gun shop is pretty tiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Consider buying at higher end of your price range a quality steel frame. If you insist on 9mm, it should be able to handle 9mm+P. I'd suggest looking at .45 for home defence, best round against a drug addict.

Remember, lighter gun has heavier recoil than beefier guns... So, don't go for lightest weight, you aren't going hiking with it in the mountains (unless you are). Even then, heavier recoil => more difficult to control the gun for the second shot.
Re. steel, I really like the CZ 75 SP-01--I just love the way it looks and the idea of something all-steel--but I'm pretty sure she couldn't reach the trigger in DA mode. So maybe that's another reason to look at a big beefy revolver that shoots 9mm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting