Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 10:31 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Ríos View Post
Get a S&W 642 or 442, put some hard cast wadcutters in it, and call it a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
35 years ago, that would have been reasonable advice. Today there are much better self defense loads in .38 spcl. available.
Nah, full wadcutters with good power like the ones from Buffalo Bore are the way to go. They claim 850fps/M.E. 241 ft. lbs for their's through a 2" .38.

Quote:
Cor Bon has three good loads - 110 & 125 grn. JHP, and their 100 grn. DPX load. Federal 125 grn Hydra Shok. Speer 135 grn Gold Dot "short barrel."
Not familiar with the Cor Bon loads but for the others, hope you don't hit bone as it won't go much further.

Quote:
That 158grn lead semi-wadcutter hollow point is a good load, and I wouldn't feel under gunned carrying it, even with all of the more modern ammo that is available. It's great for a 4" gun, but I don't know if I trust its expansion out of a 2"" gun. YMMV.
I think those are +P loads. If so, they should be good through a 2" gun. If recoil is too much, a good load is the standard pressure semi-wadcutter (non hollowpoint).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Stop it. If someone actually shoots their gun, and it has problems, then it would have been sent in after they called Sig CS.

If nothing works, call the gun manufacturer, Sig. They have lifetime support for you.
I have a 3 sigs, and only one has had issues, and Sig took care of it. The 238 and 226 runs awesome.

The older Sigs made in Germany are the ones you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 03:58 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Nah, full wadcutters with good power like the ones from Buffalo Bore are the way to go. They claim 850fps/M.E. 241 ft. lbs for their's through a 2" .38.

Not familiar with the Cor Bon loads but for the others, hope you don't hit bone as it won't go much further.

I think those are +P loads. If so, they should be good through a 2" gun. If recoil is too much, a good load is the standard pressure semi-wadcutter (non hollowpoint).

The older Sigs made in Germany are the ones you want.
The only issue with the german ones, were the P6/225 had some issues with hollow loints. Thats an easy fix.
But new ones work fine.
People tend to thunk from 2005 till now Sig had issues.. Internet really hammers them.
Tight tolerances of the gun, and cheap ammo not being abke to cycle, limp wristing are some of the issues too City Data can understand that one.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:19 AM

230 and 232 are pocket sized

Old 05-11-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukli View Post
yeah, but they aint 9mm.
Really. The bullets are the same size, just a shorter case. And modern ammunition has taken these less than desirable ammunition to better levels. Get some Underwood 380 ACP, and do some gel tests on it. Modern ammunition with P+ P++ etc and bullet designs, they do make very good SD/HD rounds.
And honestly, its about placement of the round, which I am sure you know is more critical than the round itself.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:51 AM

Well bukli,, your post dissappreaed, but here it is.
"dude, there's no way 380 can even remotely approach 9mm effectiveness. It just aint in the cards. 9mm pocket guns can get 100 grs (corbon) to over 1300 fps. 400 ft lbs and real expansion in flesh and blood. The weakness if blowback 380 actions will never allow the 380 to be loaded to amount to a hoot. Shoot some chucks, armadillos, jacks, coons, possums, with it and you'll see. It hits no harder than a Stinger from a .22lr rifle. It can't. The power just aint there."
And most dont shoot 100grs in 9mm.. Nice try, but, I will play. 400ft/lbs, really? Hmm Underwood doesnt even get that unless they go +p+..
And here is what I was getting at. A 380 ACP can kill. Its more effective than it was 20 years ago due to ammunition development. Cant deny this. I dont why you hate on the round, but it has its place, and can kill.

Caliber:380 ACP
Bullet Weight: 102 Grains
Bullet Style: Jacketed Hollow Point
Case Type: Ducta-Bright 7a Nickel Plated Brass

Ballistics Information:

Muzzle Velocity: 1060 fps
Muzzle Energy: 255 ft. lbs.

Ballistics Information:

Muzzle Velocity:1025 fps
Muzzle Energy: 210 ft. lbs.
22Stinger.
22 Long Rifle 32 CPHP 50

Velocity, ft/sec
Muzzle 50 yards 75 yards 100 yards
1640 1292 1162 1066

Energy, ft-lbs
Muzzle 50 yards 75 yards 100 yards
191 119 96 81

PS, I will stick to my 357SIG round... 9mm cant touch it...

Old 05-11-2017, 09:02 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
True, but for pocket carry, the tiny bit of extra width in the cylinder is negligible. It'd be more of a factor if you're going to carry inside the waistband.
In all this discussion, I'm considering a "pocket gun" to really be the same thing as a "belly gun"--IOW, it's for use when the bad guy actually has his hands around my throat.

Reliable through my pocket. Five rounds into the bad guy's belly from a snubby .38 with a shrouded hammer and reasonably warm wadcutters would give even my daughter an edge in that fist fight.

If I expect to have any distance, I'd carry a bigger gun in a holster.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:29 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
In all this discussion, I'm considering a "pocket gun" to really be the same thing as a "belly gun"--IOW, it's for use when the bad guy actually has his hands around my throat.

Reliable through my pocket. Five rounds into the bad guy's belly from a snubby .38 with a shrouded hammer and reasonably warm wadcutters would give even my daughter an edge in that fist fight.

If I expect to have any distance, I'd carry a bigger gun in a holster.
I don't know about through the pocket, you might set your close on fire? But the S&W J-Frames with a shrouded hammer are specifically designed for pocket carry especially in a suitably designed holster for that purpose. Carrying loosely without a holster is not a good idea as the gun can flop around which could make it difficult to draw in a life or death situation. A pocket holster will keep the gun in the same place and position all the time.

Obviously people should practice drawing the gun until it's second nature. Having the gun carried in the same place and position will greatly facilitate that.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:41 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I don't know about through the pocket, you might set your close on fire? But the S&W J-Frames with a shrouded hammer are specifically designed for pocket carry especially in a suitably designed holster for that purpose. Carrying loosely without a holster is not a good idea as the gun can flop around which could make it difficult to draw in a life or death situation. A pocket holster will keep the gun in the same place and position all the time.

Obviously people should practice drawing the gun until it's second nature. Having the gun carried in the same place and position will greatly facilitate that.
Draw? I'm talking about a woman walking with her hand in her coat pocket. Not really worrying about setting the coat on fire when the bad guy is snuggling close.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:03 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post

PS, I will stick to my 357SIG round... 9mm cant touch it...
If it was cheaper to feed at the range, I'd have one.

But for SD loads...

LOL at wadcutters...

Old 05-12-2017, 08:21 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Draw? I'm talking about a woman walking with her hand in her coat pocket. Not really worrying about setting the coat on fire when the bad guy is snuggling close.
I don't about that? I guess you'd have to assume that the woman would always be wearing a coat? And a loose one at that with pockets that are big enough that would enable her to grab a hold of the gun while it's still in her pocket and fire it. Nevertheless firing a gun while it's in a pocket any pocket is not a good idea as it can restrict your freedom of movement and yes it could set your clothes on fire. Of all the firearms and self defense courses I've taken, none have recommended firing a gun while it's still in your pocket or carrying a gun loosely in a pocket. They only do that in the movies. That's why there are holsters designed for that purpose. Situational awareness though is the most important factor for self defense. You have to be prepared for the "what if's?"

It's not that difficult to draw and fire a weapon in a split second from either a pants or coat pocket. You'd be surprised at how easy and fast it is. Especially a small framed handgun that is specifically designed for that purpose. All it takes is a little bit of practice which any individual who carries a gun for self defense should be doing anyway. If they're not willing to do that than maybe carrying a gun for self defense may not be a good idea as an assailant could very easily get ahold of your gun and use it on you. Also, if you're carrying a gun for protection you have to dress around the gun, no one should know that you're carrying. If not you will lose the element of surprise.

A pocket holster also covers the trigger guard preventing an accidental discharge in case there are any other small loose objects that may have found their way into that pocket that the carrier may have forgotten about such as a lipstick or chap stick tube. That may not be that much of a problem with a small revolver that has a long heavy trigger pull. Not so with a small striker fired pistol such as a Glock. Hence the term "Glock Leg".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting