Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 01:55 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times

Advertisements

I would go with a 9mm in semi-automatic simply because they have a lot higher magazine capacity than .22LR does and with some practice the small amount of recoil won't be a big deal. I would get a Smith and Wesson model such as the M&P or M&P Compact. If you want to save money try to find a used Ruger P95. These things are bombproof and cheap.. great home defense pistol.

You don't need any larger than 9MM so don't let people sway you into that whole argument. Get jacketed hollowpoints and an extra magazine to store them in.

If you want a "sexy" gun buy this one... sexiest 9mm in it's price range bar none... though part of me still likes to buy american (even though I have a Springfield XD-M)

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-b-9m...ss-16-rd-mags/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 05:50 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson63 View Post
I shoot revolvers, a 22 magnum has great penetration, with little recoil. They penetrate as well as 9mm or 38 spcl. with out the recoil. Drawback, no knock down force. I recommend the magnum, your likely to be more accurate if your not worried about recoil.
Bill Jordan recommended the .22 magnum cartridge. Jordan was a man who had seen the elephant. North American Arms makes a wide selection of revolvers in that chambering.

I once read of a cop who had been hit over the heart with one while wearing a vest. He didn't die, but he spent several days in a hospital.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:11 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,577 times
Being new, I suggest simple. Simple to load/unload, simple to clean, simple to fire and simple for ammo.

I'd suggest a revolver in .357 magnum. For practice, you can shoot .38's out of it. the .38 has very little recoil and is relatively cheap. For home protection, keep it loaded with .357. A bit more kick but manageable if you're shooting it from a full-frame pistol. I'd suggest you look at something like a Ruger GP-100.
Ruger® GP100® Standard Double-Action Revolver Models

Old 10-21-2016, 06:36 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
I would like to purchase a gun for protection in this crazy world and trying to have something to help try to protect myself. I went to a gun range for the first time awhile ago. So I am new to the gun world. Ive tried out a couple of guns yet I have no idea what were called but one and that was a glock.

My question is what are list of guns that have less recoil?

Thanks You guys!
Instead of a list from a public forum, go back to the range time and time again and keep trying different guns, make a yes/no list. Then being that you are new to shooting, schedule sometime with an instructor and once you are shown and experience the fundamentals, make an informed decision on what is best for you and your needs.

There are hundreds of different guns out there, all slightly different and feel different to different people, find the one that works best for you.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:15 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
As someone mentioned, recoil is directly proportional to the caliber and weapon weight. There is no magic weapon that defeats these laws of physics. Add to that of course is the users strength, muscles, and weight...firing stance and shooting grip can help however.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:10 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Lots of great advice given and I would add that you want a gun that is affordable to shoot and the ammo is readily available for. The more you shoot the better you will be with the gun.
You don't want to get a gun that has limits when it comes to finding ammo.

I also second, third and fourth the plea for you to get safety training. We don't want you or anyone else to get hurt and become another statistic for the anti gun crowd.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:46 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,145 times
I though of a specific firearm today that might meat your needs, the Fabrique Nationale Five-Seven ( FN 5.7) it comes standard with a 20 round magazine, from what I understand it is designed to dump 90% of it's energy in less than 12 inches of penetration. It does not have allot of recoil and is quite accurate. There are 3 down sides to this firearm.
1.) It is a full size handgun, so it will be harder to conceal.
2.) It is not cheep, even used it is around $1000
3.) there are only 3 or 4 manufactures of the ammo, so it is not cheep to shoot, or not as cheep as say a 9mm; but 50 rounds of the FN V-Max ammo can be had online for about $18, and average retail between $25 - 30 dollars for 50 rounds.

In this particular case I think the Pro's ought weight the Con's.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:55 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
As a defensive handgun instructor, unless there are other mitigating factors, for a first and primary defensive gun I recommend a high capacity, mid size 9mm from a major manufacturer other than Taurus. (I've had three Taurus, all failed. Ymmv.) Glock, Ruger, Springer, Smith, Sig, Walther, all are good.

Other calibers are fine, just as a start I say 9mm. Recoil is reasonable, ammo cheap, lots of holsters, mags available, etc. It is a good all around caliber.

Recoil is subjective and is somewhat mitigated by grip and technique. If someone has arthritus a .22 may be all they can deal with. Fine, load Stingers and carry on, understanding the limitations.

I don't have a favorite caliber. All guns will stop a threat, some will stop it quicker. If anybody derides your .22 or .380, ask them to let you shoot them with it. I bet they decline.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:01 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
OP hasn't been back to elaborate on how he/she intends to use this gun for defense. It's a relevant question because there are some nice compact options available in .380 and some other viable CC options in 9mm and .38 Special. With that said, if it's a viable CC gun, the .38 and 9mm recoil may be a bit much for a new shooter* so maybe if the plan is to carry this, the .380 is the best choice.

If we're talking about a home defense weapon I highly recommend the Springfield Range Officer 1911 in 9mm. I recently picked one of these up to go with my RO .45. My wife won't touch the .45 but after firing my Sig 1911-22 she concluded she loves the 1911 platform but believes the .45 is just too much for her. She suggested if they made the same gun in 9mm she'd be willing to try it. I've only had one opportunity to fire it, but after one range date concluded a few things:

1) It's a dream to shoot.
2) Incredibly accurate, out of the box ready shooter.
3) Recoil on the 9mm 1911 is closer to my 1911-22, but with far more stopping power than a .22.

It really is the best of both worlds if you want a viable man stopper whose recoil isn't going to intimidate you. The only drawback is the magazine capacity: 9 rounds. For an experienced shooter this isn't an issue but if you're new you may subscribe to the "more is better" approach. All I can say to that is consider the context: if this is a home defense gun, just how many rounds do you expect to get off? How far from your assailant will you actually be? Unless you live in an empty warehouse the "home defense" context suggests a distance of less than 10 yards. And that's if you have a big house. In that setting, yes, one would be afraid and the target would presumably be moving, but you train to the scenario. You practice marksmanship, you war-game the possibilities within the terrain (IE: your house's floor plan, expected avenues of approach, points of entry and egress, etc...) and you hope and pray that you never have to use any of it.

Like I said, OP hasn't been back, but seems there are some great answers on this thread and I hope he at least returns to read the advice he's received.

*I will reiterate what another member has stated: If you're a new shooter, invest the $$$ in some professional grade training. Everything from marksmanship techniques to safe handling and storage of your weapon, to maintenance. It will pay huge dividends.

Old 10-22-2016, 03:32 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times
i would say to go to the range again and make note of the different caliber you fire to see for yourself which one is most comfortable to you.

Lots of folks talk about knock down power of the larger calibers but at the end of the day, I'm pretty sure the .22lr is responsible for more non combat deaths than any other.

you can carry lots of .22 and you can shoot it accurately out to 50 yards. No matter what people say, if you have a .22, an intruder will take notice.

Obviously, bigger is going to be more impactful and have alot more stopping power but I would say for most beginners, it's plenty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting