Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 08:21 PM

779 posts, read 424,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Aridus industries has some fantastic parts for the 1301. Check it out, I think you’ll be impressed.
Yeah I've been wanting to order that CROM red dot mount but seems like out of stock on a lot of their stuff. From reading forums they make parts in batches and they go pretty quick. Signed up for the "notify when back in stock" emails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 08:36 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,794,780 times
I have a Beretta 1301 competition. I used it in a Sporting Clays event one rainy day so as to spare my pretty over and under. Somehow it jerked the back end off a shell and locked up the action, putting me out of the game. The gunsmith who fixed it said he had never seen a 1301 do that. It is my backup to my backup home defense pump shotgun now. My main home defense shotgun is a Mossberg 590 pump. I’m breaking in a Mossberg Maverick 88 Cruiser pump in the meantime.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:48 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,661,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
Yeah I've been wanting to order that CROM red dot mount but seems like out of stock on a lot of their stuff. From reading forums they make parts in batches and they go pretty quick. Signed up for the "notify when back in stock" emails.
Good luck with the notification thing. It never worked for me, and a lot of others.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:10 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
No love for the OU or SxS, eh? I still hunt with my grandfather's old Sauer and Sohn SxS 12 gauge that I started with when I was 12. I have my grandmother's model 97, with which she set many a club record at the old San Antonio Gun Club back in her day - love it for skeet and clays, even with it's full choke. Something about that gun - when I toss it to my shoulder, I hit.

But...I DID break down and buy a "fancy" a while back....along with it, I've got 4-5 more SxS in various gauges, several 870's a Mdl 12 or two, a pair of KSG's, a Drilling, and several others...variety is GOOD!
Attached Thumbnails
Pump or autoloading shotty, which you prefer-ls-long.jpg  

Old 08-13-2021, 04:53 AM

10,730 posts, read 5,661,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
No love for the OU or SxS, eh? I still hunt with my grandfather's old Sauer and Sohn SxS 12 gauge that I started with when I was 12. I have my grandmother's model 97, with which she set many a club record at the old San Antonio Gun Club back in her day - love it for skeet and clays, even with it's full choke. Something about that gun - when I toss it to my shoulder, I hit.

But...I DID break down and buy a "fancy" a while back....along with it, I've got 4-5 more SxS in various gauges, several 870's a Mdl 12 or two, a pair of KSG's, a Drilling, and several others...variety is GOOD!
You’re a better man than I, shooting skeet doubles with a full choke pumpgun.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:29 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
You’re a better man than I, shooting skeet doubles with a full choke pumpgun.
I really ought to have the bore checked - wouldn't surprise me to find out that my grandparents had it reamed vs buying a new barrel....those old Germans were notoriously tight-fisted...lol Either way, it doesn't matter to me - it just fits so nicely when I shoulder it, yet she was a full foot shorter than I am.
Attached Thumbnails
Pump or autoloading shotty, which you prefer-grandma-grandpa-her-model-97.jpg  

Old 08-13-2021, 07:08 AM

1,952 posts, read 828,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post

For "fancy" shotguns, I have a 687 Beretta Silver Pigeon and a 20 gauge Beretta Silver Hawk.

I too have a few older shotguns that I inherited, but I don't shoot them much anymore, because their values have gotten so high. Grandad's 1920 Model 12 16 gauge, uncle's 1967 Belgian Browning A5 and my father in law"s Winchester Model 42 410.

These days though...for home defense....my beater police trade in 870 Police Magnum gets the job done and my old Beretta 390 gets the nod for waterfowl.

Old 08-13-2021, 09:17 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
My old Belgian A5 is on semi retirement. For the past couple of years I’ve dragged all my shotguns to an annual bankers conference. There is a play day on one of the 3 days where golf or trap shooting is offered. We usually have 30-40 people signed up for trap, and not everyone has a shotgun. Some are new shooters, etc.

So this year it was in Billings up on the Heights in the hands of a bank CEO I know and he loved that old shotgun. He shot well with it too. I think 3 rounds so 75 shots. He really took some time to look the gun over and when he was done he did wipe her down and babied it

Old 08-13-2021, 11:25 AM

779 posts, read 424,113 times
Quote:
Good luck with the notification thing. It never worked for me, and a lot of others.
Ok thanks for the tip. I have still been going on there about once a week to check.

I saw they sometimes come up on Ebay or GunBroker but I'm not willing to pay the big markup.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:04 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
I prefer a pump, I don't have any problem short-stroking them, have Model 12's, one Model 42, and an 870. All 12 gauge except of course the 42. I also have A-5 Brownings, my granddad's 12 gauge and my Belgian 20 gauge. I like the A-5 pretty well, but of course you have to adjust the recoil buffer for heavy or light loads. Anymore I just use light loads in them. I managed to buy a Modified and a Full choke barrel for the 20 gauge A-5, to compliment the Improved Cylinder barrel it came to me with (Best Christmas Present Ever from my now-deceased dear old Dad) now I need a case that will hold the gun and extra barrels, so I don't have to pick one while still at the house, can go back to the truck if birds are flying higher or lower than originally anticipated.

The thing I like about pumps is that any load the gun is qualified to shoot, can be shot in any order. That and in the very unlikely event of a misfire or bad round, the pump is (somewhat) quicker to clear.

They do kick a bit more than an automatic. I don't really care.

I do realize the current model tactical automatics will sling (somewhat) more lead downrange faster than my 870 will. Again I don't particularly care. For actual competition of course one would be foolish to turn down any advantage, but I'm not really into that kind of shotgun competition. Maybe I should give it a try, but I'm more into Sporting Clays when that game is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting