Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 11:00 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times

Advertisements

Which do you prefer, a pump action shotgun or an auto-loading one?

It seems like auto loading is the wave of the future. Italian gunmakers Beretta, Franchi, and Benelli dont even make pump anymore if they ever have. Major USA companies are making more autoloading.

Is one better for tactical, and one for sporting/hunting? The US Marine corp uses an auto-loading shotgun now too. What is pros and cons of each?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 11:52 PM

19,787 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Benneli makes the Nova and Supernova pump guns. Since Beretta owns Benelli and Franchi I guess there is no reason for them to offer a pump across those business lines.

I don’t know squat about ‘modern tactical’ shotguns so I can’t offer an opinion. However I own 3 semi-autos, 3 O/U’s and a few single shots. For waterfowl I absolutely prefer an autoloader and for upland I prefer an O/U.

I have owned a pump and if I could only own ONE gun- it would be a Mossy, Rem or Winchester pump with a field barrel, slug barrel and an 18” defense barrel.

Last edited by Threerun; 08-12-2021 at 12:15 AM..

Old 08-12-2021, 10:18 AM

1,564 posts, read 2,797,909 times
Pro for pump is almost failure free operation. Con is greater recoil.
Pro for auto is faster cycling for most and in some models less recoil. Con for autos is more likely to have failures to feed after your first shot.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:54 AM

10,770 posts, read 5,683,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Which do you prefer, a pump action shotgun or an auto-loading one?

It seems like auto loading is the wave of the future. Italian gunmakers Beretta, Franchi, and Benelli dont even make pump anymore if they ever have. Major USA companies are making more autoloading.

Is one better for tactical, and one for sporting/hunting? The US Marine corp uses an auto-loading shotgun now too. What is pros and cons of each?
If there are any clubs that have 3 gun, or tactical shotgun matches near you, go and watch, and see what guns are being used. Here’s my prediction: you’ll mainly see autoloaders, and when the guns are properly maintained and fed the correct ammunition, they are extremely reliable. Pumps are prone to short-stroking. This can generally be mitigated with training and practice, but it IS an issue, especially with the speed and adrenaline of a competition. Autos are faster, and easier to run. It’s unlikely that you will see someone win if they’re running a pump.

I shoot SxS for upland, and autos for waterfowl (no 3” or steel shot in my classic SxS guns). Clay games are all break open guns, either single barrel or O/U, depending on the game.

I’ve had a Mossberg 500 nearly continuously since my eighteenth birthday, it’s the first firearm I ever bought. But with all of the other shotguns I have, it’s mainly an additional home defense gun, and I use it for testing slug and buckshot reloads (relatively cheap gun, in case I blow it up. ).

For the ne plus ultra of tactical shotguns, check out the Beretta 1301, customized with parts from Aridus industries. It’s a bit spendy, but amazing. I love mine.

Old 08-12-2021, 01:58 PM

779 posts, read 424,972 times
Semiauto can definitely be more finicky about what load you use. Although a quality gun should handle most loads reliably save for very low power loads or those mini shells (which can cause issues in pumps too). With pumps if you're not well practiced and/or under duress there's the possibility of short stroking it. In that case the semiauto could potentially be more reliable (less chance of user error).

I just picked up a Beretta 1301 Tactical and it is a slick gun. Had been looking at semiautos for awhile, was pretty well set on Benelli M4 but after trying out my friends 1301 decided to go for that. As Threerun mentioned Beretta owns Benelli and I think quality wise they are both top notch.

I have to say, ripping off 7 rounds of 00 buck as fast as you can pull the trigger is a blast. Can definitely tell a difference in recoil impulse versus my pump 12GA.

Old 08-12-2021, 02:09 PM

1,952 posts, read 830,095 times
To get an auto-loader that is less picky, you have to spend major money on a Benelli M2 or Beretta 1301.

That said, I have an older Remington 870 Police Magnum and it is as reliable as the sunrise and I paid around 400 for it.

For home defense...I want the 870 Remmy. For duck and goose hunting...give me my Beretta 390.

Old 08-12-2021, 04:11 PM

10,770 posts, read 5,683,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
Semiauto can definitely be more finicky about what load you use. Although a quality gun should handle most loads reliably save for very low power loads or those mini shells (which can cause issues in pumps too). With pumps if you're not well practiced and/or under duress there's the possibility of short stroking it. In that case the semiauto could potentially be more reliable (less chance of user error).

I just picked up a Beretta 1301 Tactical and it is a slick gun. Had been looking at semiautos for awhile, was pretty well set on Benelli M4 but after trying out my friends 1301 decided to go for that. As Threerun mentioned Beretta owns Benelli and I think quality wise they are both top notch.

I have to say, ripping off 7 rounds of 00 buck as fast as you can pull the trigger is a blast. Can definitely tell a difference in recoil impulse versus my pump 12GA.
Aridus industries has some fantastic parts for the 1301. Check it out, I think you’ll be impressed.

Old 08-12-2021, 04:19 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,971,937 times
I am afraid I can't offer much of informed opinion here. I only have a mossberg 500 pump. When I was shopping for one, I considered seriously on getting a semiauto instead but the cycling reliability issue stopped me. After I got the 500, I took a 2-day shotgun class and I am very glad I did. I learned how to clear a jam during fight in addition to how to shoot & reload. With practice, I think one can cycle it "fast enough ", not sure about matching the semiauto cycling rate.

One thing I like about Mossberg is available parts everywhere. I can pick up a long barrel for bird hunting or a slug barrel for deer hunting.

Old 08-12-2021, 04:20 PM

4,910 posts, read 2,060,853 times
Well, selecting either a pump action or semi-auto shotgun, IMHO, should be based on your firearms skill level.

If you’re just buying a shotgun for home defense and not going to really practice much with it, I’d say stick with a pump action like a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 590.

I own a Remington 870, Mossberg 590, an AK type and two Benelli shotguns, but I’ve been shooting all my teen/adult life. A semi auto is much faster, but can be very ammo picky and in a bad situation, that not a good thing.

Honestly, in a gunfight, I’d pick my Remington 870 since she will go BANG when needed to.

Old 08-12-2021, 04:28 PM

45,434 posts, read 60,623,477 times
For geese I use a Browning Silver in 12ga. For ducks I use a Browning BPS in 16ga. Turkey and deer are a BPS in 12ga. Rabbits and squirrel are .410 BPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting