Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
It looks like that trigger assembly is essentially identical to the 870 shotgun. Is it?

Probably has a pull about like a factory Glock?
LMAO, yea , the thing DOES feel kinda like an 870. Trigger pull is a tad on the heavy side, with quite a bit of initial take up. On the ones I handled anyway. That did not effect the shootabiity for me, in the application I used this piece anyway. I use my AK as a coyote gun pretty regularly, and the trigger on the latter is not exactly a glass rod break either. It's mushy and weird, but it works. The 760 had something more akin to what I would expect from a general purpose field rifle. I liked it well enough, but I like my Marlin lever gun the best for just tossing in the truck rack and running the fences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 11:48 AM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
True, the trigger action on these is, well, bad. I would think there are at least a few gunsmiths out there that can improve the crispness anyway but I don't know of any.

On the other hand many leverguns, particularly the Winchester 92, have a pretty damn good trigger.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 9,430 times
The trigger on the Remington pump guns is an easy one to have improved. I reworked mine with a kit I bought on Ebay, and got a 4 pound crisp trigger that improved the accuracy on my rifle considerably. My gun is in 35 Remington ,a model 760 made in 1952, iron sights and prints three shot groups at 50 yards that are around an inch when I'm shooting well. (2" on an off day). I'm thinking of converting the gun to 35 Whelen. For about a hundred bucks I'd have a great mid range deer, or bear rifle. It's a hard decision though because my gun is in near new condition, and not drilled for a scope, which would be required on the longer reach of a 35 Whelen. But then these aren't really a collector gun in my mind, but practical field guns! How about some imput on this guys.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:02 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
I have the .35 Remington in the 760. It is a great gun for the close deer shots though brush.

In post #4 rifleman pointed out using a dry lubricant on the action. He is absolutely correct. I made the mistake of putting too much oil on mine one year - when the temperature went into the minus numbers. I fired one shot and could not load a second round - the action would not work until I got the gun back inside the camp. Then I cleaned it thoroughly and it as good as new. I lucked out that the deer went down on my first round and I didn’t need the second.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:07 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,952,470 times
The pump can do anything a bolt action can do plus give you a quicker follow up shot. The .308 can do anything a 30/06 can do, but cycles a bit faster since its a shorter cartridge. The 760 is a popular north east deer gun but really could be used anywhere. The only negative is that its heavier than a lot of alternatives.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:10 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
I've got the pump and the auto and prefer the auto for my carbine. 11 shots of 06 as fast as you can pull the trigger. Of course, if you can't in 3 that thing is gone anyway.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:19 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,952,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I've got the pump and the auto and prefer the auto for my carbine. 11 shots of 06 as fast as you can pull the trigger. Of course, if you can't in 3 that thing is gone anyway.
"1 shot: dead deer, 2 shots: maybe a deer, 3 shots: no deer" I can't remember who wrote that.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:57 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
"1 shot: dead deer, 2 shots: maybe a deer, 3 shots: no deer" I can't remember who wrote that.
I used to love hunting years ago in PA - when we had lots of deer and lots of hunters. Sometimes you could hear the deer running towards you by the sound of the bullets cracking through the air. The more shooting I heard; the greater chance that I would get a deer. I loved hunters that emptied their clips and magazines - they loved to chase deer in my direction.

Hunting, in my area, has become a sport where you are lucky to hear half a dozen or dozen shots through the opening morning hours. Just not as much fun and excitement.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:08 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
The Remington 760 series of pump action rifles and the 740 series semi auto loader rifles are all based off of the Remington 870 pump shotgun. As long as you don't intend to do a lot of shooting with it, it should last quite a while. For a rifle environment though, it's a fairly weak and not long life rifle. Feeding issues are common and some are near junk at less than 1000 rounds of ammo. For short yardages they can be effective but they are no long range rifle and distances should be kept at 200 yds or less. Accuracy can be fleeting as well. One year it may shoot tight and next year not be able to keep it on paper, that's just their history. I'd suggest looking at a bolt rifle and since your yardages are apparently 100 or less, buy an appropriate chambering. You don't need the power of a 3006 for short yardages and you may find bullet explosions common, damaging what meat it hits. You might also consider a lever action rifle like an older Marlin 30-30 or the 35 Remington. Both are fabulous short yardage rifles.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:04 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The Remington 760 series of pump action rifles and the 740 series semi auto loader rifles are all based off of the Remington 870 pump shotgun. As long as you don't intend to do a lot of shooting with it, it should last quite a while. For a rifle environment though, it's a fairly weak and not long life rifle. Feeding issues are common and some are near junk at less than 1000 rounds of ammo. For short yardages they can be effective but they are no long range rifle and distances should be kept at 200 yds or less. Accuracy can be fleeting as well. One year it may shoot tight and next year not be able to keep it on paper, that's just their history. I'd suggest looking at a bolt rifle and since your yardages are apparently 100 or less, buy an appropriate chambering. You don't need the power of a 3006 for short yardages and you may find bullet explosions common, damaging what meat it hits. You might also consider a lever action rifle like an older Marlin 30-30 or the 35 Remington. Both are fabulous short yardage rifles.
With so much Al in the receiver they don't take the pounding well from high pressure rounds so they are truly hunting only rifles. But, I have an 11 shot reliable, semi-auto carbine in .06 that I paid less than 200 bucks for. It's for sure not a plinker but to put any game down in N America it will do it with ease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting