Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2016, 01:10 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,645,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
Yeah but what's the point in being natural if you wear your hair straight all the time? Or wear weave, wigs, and hide your natural hair?
The point is that people can do what they want.

Quote:
It's hypocritical to claim being natural when you don't even wear your hair "natural" and people only see weave or straight hair.
So according to you, I guess it's also hypocritical to do a twist out, stretched styles, or use edge control since that's not the way your hair "naturally" looks.

Quote:
A couple of my friends tried being natural and went back to relaxers because they had more options when styling their hair and they got tired of having to keep cutting their hair because of heat damage from burning it straight all the time. Contrary to what people like to say, you can have damaged natural hair the same way you can have relaxed hair and it be healthy. Now that their hair is relaxed, it looks great! Its long and they don't have any issues because they go to the salon and don't use those box relaxers.
No one is disputing that. At least I'm not. All I said is that I personally had a bad experience with relaxers after decades of use. Even if I do get heat damage from straightening my NATURAL hair, I still will not go back to relaxers. However, other women can do what they want with their hair because it's their business.

Quote:
Any chemical can damage your hair if it's not applied and maintained properly. My hair is colored which is the same chemical strength as a relaxer but my hair isn't damaged. However it can become damaged if it's not cared for and maintained properly and there are a lot of naturals who color their hair so technically they're not really "natural" because natural is virgin hair but I get being natural is more so about wearing your hair in the natural texture.

However you can't be downing those that relax when coloring your hair is no different because you are chemically altering the cuticle which is the same thing a relaxer does and there are tons of naturals who dye their hair. When you don't properly care for your hair it doesn't matter whether it has chemicals in it or not, you will get damaged hair natural or not.
This is true. I don't think anyone here thinks that natural hair is resistant to damage.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 03:39 AM

52,387 posts, read 52,853,492 times
I'm a white person and I don't knw much about black women's hair, but I know that I saw a black woman and her hair was pretty curly, not super tight but sorta loose curls and I thought she looked great, it was natural looking but probably not completely natural, looked great, she was a beautiful woman and I wished I had a pic of her to post... really good looking woman.....stunning.....

Old 04-10-2016, 11:16 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,570,702 times
Quote:
Yeah but what's the point in being natural if you wear your hair straight all the time? Or wear weave, wigs, and hide your natural hair?

It's hypocritical to claim being natural when you don't even wear your hair "natural" and people only see weave or straight hair.
Its called having options and choices. Some of us LIKE/LOVE the texture of our natural hair. Sometimes we want to wear our hair in its natural state with all of the beautiful coils, curls, kinks and waves. And sometimes we want a straight look. Sometimes we want to wear our hair at its current length and other times we want it longer or shorter. Sometimes we may want more fullness. Or we may simply want to use wigs or weaves as protective styles if one is doing the low manipulation technique for length retention.

Not understanding the defensive stance of those ladies who decide to chemically relax. No one is judging you ladies for your personal hair care decisions. After all its just hair...not a political statement.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:13 PM

50 posts, read 54,809 times
Quote:

When you don't properly care for your hair it doesn't matter whether it has chemicals in it or not, you will get damaged hair natural or not.
Very well said! 😉

(Note, I edited your post to save space, not to dismiss everything else you said.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Look into doing an Olaplex treatment with your relaxers. I do this for bleaching/coloring. It is a bond multiplier that prevents hair damage. I've had my hair bleached about five or so times since March and I still have healthy hair. LOVE Olaplex.
Olaplex is a professional only in salon product.

Should ONLY be used by licensed professionals who have been educated and certified by Olaplex on their products. There IS a take home shampoo they sell for at home use. It's Olaplex number 3.

You can either call local salons and ask if they use Olaplex, or you can do a salon search on their website.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:37 PM

23 posts, read 17,519 times
Do black guys like relaxed hair? Cause white guys usually dont. Me personally I'm a white guy and black women with natural curly hair drive me crazy. I had a black GF once who had an afro and she would get aggravated by me all the time cause I just wanted to touch it all the time.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:52 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,106,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBoulevard View Post
Do black guys like relaxed hair? Cause white guys usually dont. Me personally I'm a white guy and black women with natural curly hair drive me crazy. I had a black GF once who had an afro and she would get aggravated by me all the time cause I just wanted to touch it all the time.
BM don't know what they want. We wear a relaxer, they say they want us to go natural. We go natural, they say our hair is "nappy". We get a weave or wear wigs, they don't like that either. The only time they like natural is if our hair is a looser curl texture. If it is "kinky curly", forget about it. LOL. We just can't win with some bm. I just wear my hair the way I want to when I want to.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:14 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,289,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
BM don't know what they want. We wear a relaxer, they say they want us to go natural. We go natural, they say our hair is "nappy". We get a weave or wear wigs, they don't like that either. The only time they like natural is if our hair is a looser curl texture. If it is "kinky curly", forget about it. LOL. We just can't win with some bm. I just wear my hair the way I want to when I want to.
Not my experience at all.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:30 PM

41 posts, read 44,754 times
I am natural and my white boyfriend loves it. My black male friends say they love it. I am able to keep up with my hair better in its natural state. I don't have to run from water as my hair loves it. So...

Old 05-10-2016, 06:06 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,106,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Not my experience at all.
That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:28 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,570,702 times
I LOVE that a LOT of black women who are going natural are documenting their natural hair journey. I especially love the "big chop" vids!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBves5kmzLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFO2JTj4bJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFE47RAMDdk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sDB29UT9N4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care