Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:08 AM

361 posts, read 1,465,200 times

Advertisements

Denbigh is very hit or miss, it encompasses a large geographic area of the city that you cant just characterize it as good or bad. Denbigh on the Jefferson side and towards York County is nice, very family oriented, with new retail and housing. Denbigh on the Warwick side is more run-down, some crime, and basically older in looks and apperance. Once you go down Denbigh blvd past Warwick to the river, its nice again with some very nice neighborhoods towards the James River
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 01:12 PM

290 posts, read 1,159,348 times
From what I heard about the building of more section 8's behind k-mart/ food lion area, you might just be better avoiding Denbigh on the Warwick side all together..

With your income, I think you should go for the Menchville Area..Kiln Creek, Hilton etc is doing too much, I think Menchville would be perfect for you.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:17 PM

Menchville area also has the Riverview Farm Park, with trails and a huge playground for the kids

Old 04-30-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
From what I heard about the building of more section 8's behind k-mart/ food lion area, you might just be better avoiding Denbigh on the Warwick side all together..

With your income, I think you should go for the Menchville Area..Kiln Creek, Hilton etc is doing too much, I think Menchville would be perfect for you.
Where is the Kmart/Food Lion in Denbigh? where did you hear that they are building more section 8s there?

Old 04-30-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Menchville area also has the Riverview Farm Park, with trails and a huge playground for the kids
Oh yea I forgot about that large trail and the park, Yea you would love that area, near two schools so if the kids wanted to play baseball, shoot hoops, they could do that as well. Good Luck.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Where is the Kmart/Food Lion in Denbigh? where did you hear that they are building more section 8s there?
There on Oriana Rd, it runs parallel to Denbigh. Basically you cant be on Denbigh (Warwick side) and not see the Kmart or Food Lion, there right behind the McDonalds/Wendys etc. And the new development plan has been in the newspaper and its somewhere online. It's basically supposed to began in 2010 when they start knocking down public housing in the East End. I guess you could say there "shipping" the ghetto. There building condos and some other things down there, I think Donald Trump has some investments in it as well.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
There on Oriana Rd, it runs parallel to Denbigh. Basically you cant be on Denbigh (Warwick side) and not see the Kmart or Food Lion, there right behind the McDonalds/Wendys etc. And the new development plan has been in the newspaper and its somewhere online. It's basically supposed to began in 2010 when they start knocking down public housing in the East End. I guess you could say there "shipping" the ghetto. There building condos and some other things down there, I think Donald Trump has some investments in it as well.

Is this new development you are talking about in the East End or Denbigh. I heard a rumor about some waterfront project in EE with Trump as an investor, but I havent heard about any apartments or condos in Denbigh off Orianna. I did read maybe a year or two about converting that old shopping center at Denbigh/Orianna into some mixed use center, but nothing else

Old 04-30-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Is this new development you are talking about in the East End or Denbigh. I heard a rumor about some waterfront project in EE with Trump as an investor, but I havent heard about any apartments or condos in Denbigh off Orianna. I did read maybe a year or two about converting that old shopping center at Denbigh/Orianna into some mixed use center, but nothing else
No the new condo's will be in EE, the "mixed-income" and Sec 8 will be in Denbigh, similar to Courthouse Green which is actually behind Kmart/Food Lion as well.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
No the new condo's will be in EE, the "mixed-income" and Sec 8 will be in Denbigh, similar to Courthouse Green which is actually behind Kmart/Food Lion as well.

Ok, got it..That part of Denbigh does not need more sec 8 though, hopefully the developer will make it a true mixed-income area like Broad Creek in Norfolk which will hopefully enhance the area

Old 04-30-2009, 02:23 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artistatheart View Post
Thank you so much everyone for your replies! After reading some of the other threads, I was afraid everyone would say NN was a terrible place to live--I'm so pleasantly surprised!

Another question: My husband is really into the outdoors. I know NN is near the water, but are there many foresty (is that even a word?) areas nearby? Parks, preserves, etc.?

Newport News Park is the second largest municipal park in the country if Im not mistaken, and it is, infact, huge. You can do almost any outdoor activity you can think of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area