Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 08:16 AM

13 posts, read 36,650 times

Advertisements

Hoping to get some experience based advice, figured this was that spot! We are moving to the Williamsburg/Jamestown/Yorktown area this upcoming summer. We have 2 kids, one who will be in 8th grade, one in 4th. Both are truly advanced for their age in Math & Science and the 8th grader is very interested in music as well. (I know most parents think their kids are brilliant, as do I, but I am also realistic about things, as to that end I also add the following).

DD (8th grader) is truly easily bored, needs lots of activities in very diverse areas. (currently involved in theater, writing, music, community service, gymnastics and softball) She cares about her studies and always does well, but not at all competitive. She is our "free spirit".

DS (4th grader) very routine oriented. Loves math, computers and science. Not all that interested in sports in a organized way, but again, very active. He does play baseball, and likes it enough, but wouldn't miss it if he didn't. Loves school, loves new topics.

I am looking for direction. We spent 5 days in Williamsburg in November and are returning for a week in April. I got the impression that Williamsburg/Jamestown was the area where the activity was.

I also know that Williamsburg is re-districting the schools and want to know when that will be completed?

I have always worked in the hospitality industry as well as having my own business and DH is also self-employed in the construction field so we can live just about anywhere, so there's less of a consideration in that direction. We also plan to rent for 1-2 years before purchasing a home.

Thanks for your input. Looking forward to being back in Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 01:40 PM

125 posts, read 496,716 times
I think York County sounds like an ideal fit for you. Check these programs out:

Middle Years Programme

International Baccalaureate

School of the Arts

Governor's School for Science & Technology

Gifted Education

I hope that helps. Let us know any specific questions and we'll try to help.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:47 AM

Default Thanks for the info

While I prefer the Williamsburg area, DH really liked the "outskirts" more which I think as of now is either the Warhill area or Bruton. Bruton looks like a good match for my daughter and I think the elementary there is Magruder which looks like it may be a good fit for son as well. I like that fact that enrollment to the schools is open to WJC students if they meet the criteria.

Any opinions out there on Warhill? I know its fairly new. I looked up both Bruton and Warhill on "Great Schools" and both are rated only a 5. Any ideas as to why that is? from looking at the forums and web sites, it seems out of step with the ratings? Thanks.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:05 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,101 times
Parts of upper York County ( Bruton District) attend Waller Mill which is a Fine Arts Magnet School as well as Magruder.

Did you check out the Gifted Program at Williamsburg/ James City County Schools ? Although quite a few feel York County Schools are superior We are extremely pleased with WJCC schools. We currently have one child in 5th grade and one in 6th grade.

As you noted WJCC students as well as all area students can attend the Governors School
Redistricting options are being re-explored at this time. We should have something concrete in the next few months. My sister is an elementary principal in York County and would be happy to discuss programs offered there if you have any questions. As far as Warhill , I think it just takes a few years for a school to establish itself. Its always hard to divide up a school district and have eveyone gel with the results.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:21 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,056,839 times
I have not heard many good things about Warhill High School but this is of course word of mouth and not matter of fact speaking.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:30 AM

5 posts, read 20,214 times
Default All schools should pass the test!

I've lived in Williamsburg for 10 years and have two kids that have gone through the schools fine, were challenged and prepared for college. While I think all of our area schools are fine, you'll want to be careful about planning on a certain school zone too early. There is a lot of redistricting going on now through early spring and everything seems to be on the table. It would appear that neighborhood schools and shorter busing will be more popular than mixing solely on a socio-economic formula based on free and reduced lunch distribution. I am a REALTOR in Williamsburg and work in every neighborhood and can point you to some local resources if needed. It is a great place to live and raise a family-without question!

Old 01-01-2010, 02:21 PM

Default Thanks for all the help guys

We plan on renting for a year or two first, but still don't want to move the kids around once we get there (school wise). That means getting settled permenantly by the time DS starts middle school (I think that's 6th grade in both districts isn't it?) I know there's always the chance of redistricting in any large system, but our goal is to move to a neighborhood that is likely to stay "as is" school wise and has the characteristics that work for us. (no McMansions, no lot-line to lot-line houses, no main road(we live on a main road now and just lost our dog today)) We don't have any specific time line, and want to take our time to find the right fit.

Karen

Old 01-05-2010, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,597 times
Jimmellen, I am possibly moving to the area, and saw that you were a realtor. I would love some help on finding a place if all goes through. My husband should know in a few weeks. We have 3 kids and don't know much about the area. Let me know if you would be able to help. Thanks, Beth

Old 01-07-2010, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonipiLady View Post
While I prefer the Williamsburg area, DH really liked the "outskirts" more which I think as of now is either the Warhill area or Bruton. Bruton looks like a good match for my daughter and I think the elementary there is Magruder which looks like it may be a good fit for son as well. I like that fact that enrollment to the schools is open to WJC students if they meet the criteria.

Any opinions out there on Warhill? I know its fairly new. I looked up both Bruton and Warhill on "Great Schools" and both are rated only a 5. Any ideas as to why that is? from looking at the forums and web sites, it seems out of step with the ratings? Thanks.
All of my children attended Williamsburg & York county schools. I think you would be happier with York county school system, they have more clubs & activities. They care about the students. The teachers are better at teaching and keeping children from getting bored. The ratings don't always match the school I have learned from experience. Magruder elementary school employees young teachers fresh out of college or still in college and some parents feel the children don't benefit from a new teachers short comings. Every parent is different, but, if I had it all to do over again, I would set up housekeeping on the other end of york county away from Williamsburg school systems (that includes no Bruton High, no Magruder Elementary, no Queens Lake Middle) Adults that have been blessed with attending York county schools themselves will only have good things to say about there experience. Poquoson is good as well. You may want to do some research on the new Superintendent for York county, don't know anything about him myself. Hopes this helps...

Old 01-07-2010, 10:00 AM

140 posts, read 540,395 times
Here's a website from the VA Dept of Education I find helpful. It has testing scores and also school safety stats:

https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/

After looking at this website, particularly the safety stats, we were able to narrow it down to just a few areas when we would consider. Certainly another thing to do is to continue to post questions about a specific school and you will likely get feedback from the helpful people on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area