Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:25 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAMIs View Post
... So Haole has become a derogatory term for all whites, even those with good intention. Personally, I never heard the word haole when I was on the islands...
Haole is NOT a derogatory term. It is a descriptive term. As someone who lives here, I hear haole as a descriptive term all the time. It does not mean anything bad (unless preceded by f***'ing)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 01:47 AM

120 posts, read 1,167,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Haole is NOT a derogatory term. It is a descriptive term. As someone who lives here, I hear haole as a descriptive term all the time. It does not mean anything bad (unless preceded by f***'ing)
Exactly right, Just like the N word is fine as long as its not preceded by f***ing. I hear black people use the N word all the time to talk about other black people so it must be fine.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:59 AM

46 posts, read 110,911 times
Haole is NOT a derogatory term. But it inevitably has become one through the perspective of those it's directed at. We all have an identity and a name. I'm sure no one is named Haole and no one would want to be called it no matter what meaning you give it. The N word was also a descriptive term used to describe African Americans. Now look what it's become. Haole never meant "white person" or "foreigner", so how is it descriptive if you're not giving it any proper meaning. Words over time always end up losing their original intent.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:23 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
Quote:
Haole is NOT a derogatory term. But it inevitably has become one through the perspective of those it's directed at. We all have an identity and a name. I'm sure no one is named Haole and no one would want to be called it no matter what meaning you give it...
Maybe people in New Jersey just don't understand it...

Old 12-31-2010, 03:27 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
For anyone interested, haole actually means "not with the breath". Aloha means, "to be with the breath". Ancient Hawaiian teachings teach that humans were once one with nature and were closely tied to our consciousness. That consciousness is tied to our breath and breathing and living and being one with our immediate environment as a way of connecting to something higher. Whites are called haole because of the Europeans and Americans harsh criticisms of the Hawaiian way of life and their blatant abuse of power by killing natives. They were not "in tune" with what the Hawaiians believed governed all life.

Many people don't know this, including Hawaiians who have no idea of the ancient ways of life. So Haole has become a derogatory term for all whites, even those with good intention.
Actually, the etymology of "haole" is debatable. It could have come from "hāʻole", which means "no breath"; however, it also could have come from "haolē", which means "lazy thief." Many Hawaiian words have "kaona" or "hidden meanings." Since writing Hawaiian words with a kahakō (macron) and ʻokina (glottal stop) is a relatively recent phenomenon, it's possible that "lazy thief" is what many Hawaiians were thinking and saying when they called somone a "haole", considering some of the old Hawaiian sayings about foreigners.

'Ai no ke kōlea a momona ho'i.
"The plover eats until fat, then returns to the land from which it came."

I Kahiki no ka hao, o ke ki'o ana i Hawai'i nei.
In Kahiki was the iron; in Hawai'i, the rusting.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:53 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montoya View Post
Let's be honest, "haole" is derogatory a LOT of the time. Caucasian people should not feel obligated to identify themselves with as "haole" just because they are in HI. I don't like being called the H word any more than African Americans like being called the N word.

Furthermore, caucasian people (or any race) should not have to feel threatened in our own country. Apparently the racist incidents are bad enough to echo to the mainland "be careful in HI if you're white." I think that this hate is most definitely taught by natives to keep mainlanders away from the 50th state. All US citizens should feel welcome to move to HI.
I haven't read this whole thread, but even if this has been said before, it bears repeating:

First, "haole" dosn't mean "white." It means "non-native," and applies to everyone without at least some Polynesian blood. According to an acquaintance who teaches the Hawi'ian language, it literally means "without breath," with "breath" really denoting spirit, like a spiritual quality. And the correct pronunciation is "ha OL ee." Used in this manner it is not derogatory. It simply refers to someone from off-island.

And yes, I know that "howlie" is used by some as a slur, but it still is not just a synonym for "white."

Second, I find the whole distinction slightly ridiculous, because even the natives came from elsewhere, just a longer time ago than other groups, and there was a whole lot of warfare to establish who was on top, so how is their later conquest by violence any different? <ducking and running in zig zags>

Third, and I've said this elsewhere, the latest scientific research shows there is no factual basis for the concept of race. Every single person on the planet today is a descendant of a small group of perhaps 2,000 individuals in Africa, who were the survivors of a much larger group that suffered some disaster. Genetically we are 99.9% identical, with only a small number of genes that determine skin color, eye color, hair color and texture differing between us. The concept of race was put forward in the 1800s by some pale skinned, blue eyed people who wanted to prove that pale skinned, blue eyed people were superior in order to justify slavery and colonial expansion.

The concept of race is now officially bankrupt. It's just an outdated myth.

When I am asked for my race on a form now I write in "human being," because that's the only "race" that actually exists.

Amen.

OpenD

Old 01-01-2011, 08:15 AM

285 posts, read 1,083,137 times
Isnt it about time to put this one to bed and let it sleep? After all its a new year!!!! Happy New Year to all

Old 01-02-2011, 10:39 PM

46 posts, read 110,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The concept of race is now officially bankrupt. It's just an outdated myth.

When I am asked for my race on a form now I write in "human being," because that's the only "race" that actually exists.
Awesome! I'm gonna start doing that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo31958 View Post
Isnt it about time to put this one to bed and let it sleep? After all its a new year!!!! Happy New Year to all

Old 01-04-2011, 04:26 PM

31 posts, read 50,502 times
Very funny!! Just goes to prove that race is still a BIG issue in America.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:59 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNA1 View Post
Very funny!! Just goes to prove that race is still a BIG issue in America.
Sure, but the way to end it is people taking a personal stand, one by one, to not play that game anymore.

To me, if you are breathing, you are family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii