Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 03:40 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,770 times

Advertisements

yeah it sounds pretty out there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 03:50 AM

239 posts, read 520,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oahudave View Post
i have been lurking and reading through the forum for the past few weeks and based on what i have read i have sort of come to 2 conclusions. first, there is a not so subtle "protectionism" vibe that comes from some of the members to the point where they make it sound like living in Hawaii is basically impossible for any haole who is thinking of moving there; so much so that people have come right out and said that if you don't look local you can't get a job so don't bother trying. no offense but that has to be absolute BS; i simply refuse to believe that information is accurate. the second conclusion i have come to is that there are some great people in this forum who are kind and have excellent advice that they are willing to give, even to haole newcomers; in my mind that is the pure essence of the Hawaiian aloha spirit. so to the haters, keep on hating 'cause that's all you know how to do; and to everyone else, thanks for helping a haole out.
Interesting conclusions. It does depend on which island and even what part of an island you live. For instance, anyone (local or not) will have a far better chance of getting a job on Oahu than on an outer island. I live on the east side of the Big Island and there are very few jobs here, especially now that we've had an economic downturn. In addition, Oahu is much better in terms of localism, than the Big Island. The east side of the Big Island is one of the worst if not the worst place for a blond like myself to find work. Right now, it's hard for anyone to find a job on this island since there are so few.

You can tell yourself it's "protectionism", but it isn't. Come find out for yourself. There are people like myself who have lived here a long time and know what it's like better than someone who has simply read a bunch of posts. Personally, my motivation for telling someone about the job situation is just to try to help them make a sound decision. It's like watching an accident about to happen and it's hard not to warn someone of the dangers ahead. The financial and emotional toll it can take on someone can be great. They are told that Hawaii is all "aloha" and "come on over, you'll find a job if you just have a good attitude" and then when they get here they find out the hard way that it is difficult at best to find a job and depending on where they go they may also encounter localism. Many come here and leave shortly after arriving because they can't make a go of it financially. Others leave because it's not what they expected.

The people you think are "haters" are probably just trying to help someone not make a mistake in underestimating the difficulties they may very well encounter. This isn't hateful, it's meant as helpful. We live here and see people come and go. Some leave here very dissapointed and those are usually the ones who had very unrealistic expectations when they arrived.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:55 AM

Ok so we're back to the general consensus that blonde = no job?
I already cover my tattoos, don't dye my hair crazy colors like I used to and miss so much, and take out my peircings for work. I guess no matter where I go I'll have to significantly change my appearance for work. Or maybe I should "grow up" and start liking my appearance to be "professional" all the time?

Old 10-11-2010, 01:37 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,125,593 times
Isabella-
We are on Oahu but I have many friends and relatives on the Big Island from Hilo to Kohala and somehow my Haole (VERY blonde & pale) friends have managed to find jobs, homes, friends and lives there.

As I said I do not discount your experiences I am merely stating that it is not the same for everybody.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:57 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
Ok so we're back to the general consensus that blonde = no job?
I already cover my tattoos, don't dye my hair crazy colors like I used to and miss so much, and take out my peircings for work. I guess no matter where I go I'll have to significantly change my appearance for work. Or maybe I should "grow up" and start liking my appearance to be "professional" all the time?
FWIW, tattoos are really common here. It is the rare profession that would require you cover them, I think.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:11 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,610 times
I think it certainly depends on what type of position you are seeking. For the ex-military people, who have security clearances, federal jobs are available and obviously won't be race based. Highly skilled or educated workers will compete on a more even playing field.
But, if you're competing with locals for retail jobs or service industry jobs, race does seem to be an issue. I live and work on Oahu have both seen and experienced the racism towards whites.
Its funny, as I'm actually hispanic, but have blonde hair.
I figured the racism here in Hawaii germinated the same way as racism on the mainland. Its a mixture of poor education, poverty and isolation.
And people either condoning it or pretending it doesn't exist.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:14 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,125,593 times
Joliefille-

You said two statements that seem to contradict each other:

For the ex-military people, who have security clearances, federal jobs are available and obviously won't be race based. Highly skilled or educated workers will compete on a more even playing field.

and:

Its a mixture of poor education, poverty and isolation.

You have stated the crux of the issue:

My experiences may be very different from those whom may be in a different tax bracket from most of the people that I am drawing my personal experiences from (not better nor worse...simply different.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
FWIW, tattoos are really common here. It is the rare profession that would require you cover them, I think.
I know, I posted a thread about it before. Thanks again for the reassurance.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:46 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Joliefille-

You said two statements that seem to contradict each other:

For the ex-military people, who have security clearances, federal jobs are available and obviously won't be race based. Highly skilled or educated workers will compete on a more even playing field.

and:

Its a mixture of poor education, poverty and isolation.

You have stated the crux of the issue:

My experiences may be very different from those whom may be in a different tax bracket from most of the people that I am drawing my personal experiences from (not better nor worse...simply different.
I guess I should have stated that it mostly depends on who is doing the interviewing. Federal jobs and highly skilled/educated jobs will generally have educated, knowledgable people interviewing, who fully understand the EEOC quidelines and standards.

I'll used the examples I've personally seen in Honolulu want ads...requring applicants to attach a photo along with their resume. Requiring appplicants to speak XXX language, when the job itself has no XXX language requirement. Asking the applicant to state their age, prior to interview. Stating only young females wanted. All of these things are illegal and actionable through the EEOC.

Racism, sexism, ageism, localism...whenever you try to exclude specific persons from attaining work...thats illegal and more importantly immoral. IMO.

This too may vary depending on your tax bracket.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Stating only young females wanted. All of these things are illegal and actionable through the EEOC.
Not illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii