Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 05:46 PM

36 posts, read 81,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Hawaii is a tough market considering that most nannies are the grandparents or Aunties who work for free. You have a very limited group especially with your needs and many of them prefer a local nanny who's been on island for a long time. The rich asian business people tend to bring their own or they use one another family has been using until transfered back to asia. Very tough market.
Every ad I have replied to or received a reply from does seem to be from families not native to Hawaii. I did also have a family moving from the main island to Hawai'i as a prospective. So I agree that it is tough! Just means I'll have to advertise ... a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 05:53 PM

Thank you Dreaming of Hawaii & OpenD for the newspaper suggestions.

I also have a friend in Hilo and I am going to make some fliers and ask her to post them in a few places.
Soooo if you know someone living in Hawai'i who would be willing to print a few (or I can print and mail them) then PM me!

Thanks everyone (:

Old 03-14-2011, 06:13 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissIvy View Post
Thank you Dreaming of Hawaii & OpenD for the newspaper suggestions.

I also have a friend in Hilo and I am going to make some fliers and ask her to post them in a few places.
Soooo if you know someone living in Hawai'i who would be willing to print a few (or I can print and mail them) then PM me!

Thanks everyone (:
Be sure to start your dog on the 120 day program to bring him/her into Hawaii. If you are planning a July move, you need to start that now. Also be aware your Shih Tzu will likely be subject to breed/temperature restrictions that airlines implement in the summer...my short-snout breed(boxers) couldn't fly until October 1st.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Be sure to start your dog on the 120 day program to bring him/her into Hawaii. If you are planning a July move, you need to start that now. Also be aware your Shih Tzu will likely be subject to breed/temperature restrictions that airlines implement in the summer...my short-snout breed(boxers) couldn't fly until October 1st.
AlohaHuey! Thank you for that suggestion. I have done some research on this and made a few calls. I was reassured that the restrictions for short-snout breeds does not apply to dogs flying with you in cabin. Also my Shih Tzu has a service dog status so this will make the process smoother.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:40 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,877 times
Quote:
AlohaHuey! Thank you for that suggestion. I have done some research on this and made a few calls. I was reassured that the restrictions for short-snout breeds does not apply to dogs flying with you in cabin. Also my Shih Tzu has a service dog status so this will make the process smoother.
Please make sure your dog is an "official" service dog...my mom bought a service dog vest off the Internet, and Hawaii is onto that loophole.

One recent anecdote...an elderly woman watched her "service poodle" carted off to quarantine because the dog wasn't an official service dog. Expect to be asked for plenty of documentation. Also, note that even service dogs are not exempt from the quarantine requirements for entry.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Service animals can be inspected at the terminal and not transported to quarantine, but you have to make that request in advance otherwise it has to do to the airport facility.

Make sure you understand the service animal procedure paying attention to the sequence of testing. Many service animal users forget they still need the vaccinations, paperwork and rabies test, just not the full 120 days waiting. But if anything is wrong, it will be held for the full quarantine.

Have the correct documentation needed to prove service dog status. I'm sure you know that at midnight tonight, Title II & III has radically changed. The new definitions and requirments for service animals will chnage how the airlines and Hawaii treats service animal. Remember Hawaii has an exception to the proof requirment and you will need the doctors certification, the training certification, and authoritative proof the animal meets the new rules.

and to add, don;t forget the new rules now has enforcement attached so violations become federal offenses.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:19 PM

AlohaHuey, PacificFlights

He doesnt have an official "vest" as your mother did haha but he is certified. I have documentation. And I did read up on the required paperwork and advance notice. I don't foresee a problem. I was told the process would take at most 30 mins with a on-spot blood test upon arrival.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:43 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
He doesnt have an official "vest" as your mother did haha but he is certified. I have documentation. And I did read up on the required paperwork and advance notice. I don't foresee a problem. I was told the process would take at most 30 mins with a on-spot blood test upon arrival.
For Service Animals, you must have the following
1. Current on rabbies vaccine with all required info as to manufature, lot # etc. on a signed rabbies vaccine form from the vet.
2. Original current health certificate signed by vet.
3. Microchip that matches KSU test
4. At least one passing OIE-FAVN test in the last 3 years by KSU with microchip info PRIOR to arrival
5. Doctors certification of disability
6. Certification that animal was individually trained and meets the NEW definition of service animals and NEW task list.
7. Can not be a ESA as starting tommorrow, they are no longer service animals.
8. Proof that the owner and dog are together (no longer can someone transport as a service animal for someone else)
9. At least 24 prior notice of arrival
10. Not missing any of 1-9.

i have no idea what this so called 30 minute on the spot blood test your talking about. In all my years transporting animals to Hawaii, this is the first I heard of this. Are you getting your info direct from Hawaii Dept of Agriculture? No matter what anyone tells you, only what HDoA says matters as they are the FINAL authority and can deny entry and force the full 120 day quarantine if anything is not perfect.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:24 PM

PacificFlights

I have that same information from the Agriculture website. When I called to get further details on the process upon arrival thats when I was informed about a on-spot blood test & that I can only fly directly into Hawai'i through Honolulu Int. Airport with a service dog. Seems to me you would have all the things listed automatically, besides the chip (but most valuable dogs would also have a chip). The process does not appear to be that complicated in my opinion. That's with or with out the blood test. Probably I misunderstood that. Our conversation was long.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Also my Shih Tzu has a service dog status so this will make the process smoother.
Wait. What? You are a nanny with a disability requiring a service animal?

Doesn't bother me if you are, but I'm thinking I would be really, really upset with you if I was a potential employer and already this far into getting to know you, getting to know all about you... sorry... that music is just stuck in my head... ... before you revealed that fact. So what's up with that?

In any case, pay attention to what PacificFlights said. Your understanding of what's what with the mandatory 120 day Hawai'i rabies quarantine does not match anything I've heard before either. And coming into Hawai'i is DIFFERENT than going anyplace else in the country. Everything can change tomorrow. And honestly, candidly, nobody will care if you are upset about the part you misunderstood.

Don't even count on having a bonafied, certified, and satisfied service animal in the cabin with you. It may not happen.

Last edited by OpenD; 03-14-2011 at 11:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: