Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 12,959 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I both have masters degrees in School Counseling, we just graduated this past May. She found a job as a counselor at a local private school in Brooklyn and I'm still working with a non-for profit organization educational program.

Anyway, were thinking of moving out to Hawaii in the near future and looking for advice. I filled out application for the Hawaii DOE but not sure my credentials will mean much. I am planning on taking the national counselor certification exam if that helps.

How are the job prospects for a school counselor out there?
Is there anything I need to know beforehand (insider tips?) about landing a DOE job in Hawaii?

We're not picky about which island or where, but staying in a populated city area would be great. I do hear Honolulu can be quite expensive however.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 10:01 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,459,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunky View Post
Anyway, were thinking of moving out to Hawaii in the near future and looking for advice.
Aloha and welcome.

General questions like yours get asked here very frequently, so the fastest way to access a lot of basic information is to use the Search function to access your areas of interest in the archives here.

But to give you a small taste for starters... moving to Hawai'i is a major commitment, and shouldn't be undertaken casually. The cost of living is high, but the payscales are low. And local candidates will almost always be hired over mainlanders. So for many people, moving to Hawai'i requires some sacrifice.

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2012, 02:51 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,928,674 times
Why move from such an awesome place?

Keep your jobs and jump on the nonstop from Newark or JFK to Honolulu for vacation. Or better yet, jump on a Jetblue flight and fly half the time and half the price to the Caribbean.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 12,959 times
We hate the weather and cost of living is high here too but wed rather pay the price to.live somewhere beautiful yet still have the amenities of any US state. Were well aware of the high price of living and the not so positive outlook on haoles especially mainlanders. But were pretty determined to make it happen one day I just wish a job opportunity presented itself. Even working in the NYC doe isn't that great monetarily and private schools are very low paying.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:41 PM

198 posts, read 387,240 times
I hate to be a downer but the likelihood of job opportuities is low, and can be even lower depending on which Island you wish to live on.

"Winkmosis" will also tell you that jobs on Hawaii pay considerably less than on the mainland. So even if you find a job, you might need a second one to make ends meet.

There is soo much valuable info on this board if you just search through the old stuff.

Good luck.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,928,674 times
Quote:

Anyway, were thinking of moving out to Hawaii in the near future and looking for advice. I filled out application for the Hawaii DOE but not sure my credentials will mean much. I am planning on taking the national counselor certification exam if that helps.

How are the job prospects for a school counselor out there?
Is there anything I need to know beforehand (insider tips?) about landing a DOE job in Hawaii?

We're not picky about which island or where, but staying in a populated city area would be great. I do hear Honolulu can be quite expensive however.

Thanks!
Here is a good link on what you need to become a Hawaii school counselor - it appears Hawaii does recognize certifications from other states if you have one. Take a read and give them a call.

How to Become a Hawaii School Counselor - HI

You really should be picky on which island/city you would want to live - just plopping down on any island isn't a recipe for success. Have you ever been to Hawaii?

Lastly -if you really want to make a move like this, I'd recommend having at least $50,000 of savings you can afford to lose after moving costs. There are lots of beautiful places with better weather than NYC that don't require such a drastic move - Virginia and the Carolina's come to mind - the West Coast - Southwest, etc - all places that can be driven to.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:59 PM

682 posts, read 2,795,483 times
Quote:
We hate the weather and cost of living is high here too but wed rather pay the price to.live somewhere beautiful yet still have the amenities of any US state. Were well aware of the high price of living and the not so positive outlook on haoles especially mainlanders. But were pretty determined to make it happen one day I just wish a job opportunity presented itself. Even working in the NYC doe isn't that great monetarily and private schools are very low paying.
I hear you. I am totally not a winter person, too. And I'm thrilled to have ended up here.

BUT. (This is a big but.) I have very good friends who moved here from NYC thinking, "We lived in NYC! It's expensive there, too! We can do it!" They're totally floored by the cost of living. It's really higher... just everything costs more. And jobs pay less. That's the real kicker... you're making less and paying more. Is it really worth it?

Again, I'm super happy to be here. But I came here *for a job* that paid 20% more than anything I was offered on the mainland. I feel really bad for my friends who are struggling and really want to go back but can't figure out how.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:28 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,813,731 times
Quote:
Anyway, were thinking of moving out to Hawaii in the near future and looking for advice.
If you can afford to take some time to come and explore what it is like to live in Hawaii, go for it. You did not mention having children, and your post seemed to indicate you and your friend don't have financial or health or family problems that would affect you, so I ask, why not move?

You'll get plenty of answers here that will share the pitfalls of moving to Hawaii, so I'll not need to add to those. I'll just say that if you don't have a reason NOT to, and are young and free to travel, have at it.

Cover yourself financially for a few months (round-trip airfare, rent, food, transportation, etc) before you leave, and then you are good to go. If you are the sort of person who wants to have a job set up before you move, work on it now. If you are the sort that will take unskilled/semi-skilled jobs, you can find something once here. But like I said, have a few months of savings (and RT ticket) before heading this way.

Good luck.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,936 times
Default My 2 cents moving to Hawaii

Gunky,

I grew up in Hawaii and I been away from Hawaii ever since 911 and live in midwest ...
If i were you I would try out even living in Hawaii one to 5 years, by that time, I think you might say, I had enough and go back ... I doubt you last more than 5 years ... We still have lots mainlanders in Kona that is where Im from, I swear everybody is from California, Its turning to be like California resort town...

Regarding job situation, it is very tough rather you are local or mainlander, its been like that for more than 20 years ... I remember 20 years ago had an article in the paper you are lucky to get job after interviewing 25 interviews ..that is why Im here in the midwest and Im going back finally next year because my mom is getting older ..I look at job listing and mainly sales jobs like Target or Sports Authority, you know what I mean...You may end up working more than one job ... Houses are very expensive and million dollar home may look like a old shack in Oahu..

If you still want to come, dont bother bringing expensive furniture or buy expensive furniture here and dont even bother buying new car etc, Just incase you want to move back ..Or i got some moving company quotes and one conatainer from midwest was like $5,600 plus I cant remember and 2 container was over $10,000 plus so dont bring anything, just buy in hawaii...this quote was couple days...

Old 12-15-2012, 12:44 AM

33 posts, read 42,817 times
I was thinking of just starting a new thread but I found this existing thread, so I'm just gonna reply to it. I knew that relocating is hard...but I didn't know it is this difficult.

Here is my situation. I'm working as a trader in Wall Street, making about $100k a year. However, my wife and I are both discontent with the quality of life in NYC and how my wife is allergic to the trees in Northeast, so we were seriously considering of finding a job, or jobs for both my wife and I to relocate to Hawaii...

As I read on this thread, hard enough as it is to find a job in Hawaii, the fact that I work as a trader in the financial industry, I wonder if I should just give up and not try at all...

As much as I would like to dream, reality is reality. And to compound the fact that we have a 1 year old child and don't have much in savings despite making over $100k a year (sadly).

Advice please...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: