Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 03:15 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,788 times

Advertisements

It's possible your wife could be allergic to the trees (and other things) here too. Have you considered relocating to a desert-like location on the mainland? Your employment prospects could be better there, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 11:35 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamOn08 View Post
Advice please...
The best advice i have for you is the same suggestion made in the TOS when you registered... use the Search function to dig into the archives here. There's a wealth of information you can quickly access to answer every general question people have, as well as a lot of more specific ones.

But here's a quick rundown of some of the top advice from the past:

Hawai'i can be a great place to live for people without children. But the schools are among the worst in the country.

Hawai'i can be a great place to live if you have a lot of money, or don't need much money. But in the middle, working for a living in Hawai'i is tough... cost of living is high, wages are low.

If you have not spent time in Hawai'i already, your image of Hawai'i is 98% fantasy. We have rush hour and traffic jams and cranky people at the supermarket too. Don't plan a move without getting a solid reality check first.

Good luck!

Old 12-25-2012, 11:25 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,015,659 times
Quote:
I was thinking of just starting a new thread but I found this existing thread, so I'm just gonna reply to it. I knew that relocating is hard...but I didn't know it is this difficult.

Here is my situation. I'm working as a trader in Wall Street, making about $100k a year. However, my wife and I are both discontent with the quality of life in NYC and how my wife is allergic to the trees in Northeast, so we were seriously considering of finding a job, or jobs for both my wife and I to relocate to Hawaii...

As I read on this thread, hard enough as it is to find a job in Hawaii, the fact that I work as a trader in the financial industry, I wonder if I should just give up and not try at all...

As much as I would like to dream, reality is reality. And to compound the fact that we have a 1 year old child and don't have much in savings despite making over $100k a year (sadly).

Advice please...
I have severe allergies to trees in the Northeast and found Hawaii not necesarily better, much to my chagrine (birth Mom is kamaaina and there is always spam in my house). I still had to be careful with allergies/asthma as I found NEW allergens that triggered my asthma there. Have you guys spent any time in Hawai'i? Id take lengthy vacations there first to see if its really better for her. And bring me back manapuas and spam sushi.

I now have a work at home job and I can live anymore.. I'd move in a heartbeat but know it may not be the best move for my breathing.. which is kind of needed to live. Helps the coconut flow in my head.

Last edited by minibrings; 12-25-2012 at 11:40 AM..

Old 01-26-2014, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 6,736 times
Quote:
I was thinking of just starting a new thread but I found this existing thread, so I'm just gonna reply to it. I knew that relocating is hard...but I didn't know it is this difficult.

Here is my situation. I'm working as a trader in Wall Street, making about $100k a year. However, my wife and I are both discontent with the quality of life in NYC and how my wife is allergic to the trees in Northeast, so we were seriously considering of finding a job, or jobs for both my wife and I to relocate to Hawaii...

As I read on this thread, hard enough as it is to find a job in Hawaii, the fact that I work as a trader in the financial industry, I wonder if I should just give up and not try at all...

As much as I would like to dream, reality is reality. And to compound the fact that we have a 1 year old child and don't have much in savings despite making over $100k a year (sadly).

Advice please...
I feel your pain. My wife and I are discontent with the Quality of Life in NYC. We have a 3.5 year old child as well and really want to move to the Big Island. This year will be our 4th time visiting Hawaii. I am an engineer for Construction Mgmt/GC firm making 100k a year as well with little savings. Given the jobs I have found they will not provide an adequate salary to live comfortably. The requirements for my type of work over there require a PE license to which i do not have. Therefore i would have to look at alternate type of employment and the only one I can think of would be the travel industry.

I am giving myself to 35 to make the decision to move (31 this year). If you would like to talk feel free to msg me.

Best Regards,

Jason

Old 01-26-2014, 12:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Dreamon08 has posted only once, over a year ago, so isn't likely to message you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: