Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 09:38 PM

80 posts, read 194,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
You're right about the RNII starting point. I forgot about that. But again, nowhere near that $45-50.
I think you might want to do a bit of research about Hawaii's state-run health care facilities. They've been in the news a lot and there is plenty of info out there. Employees at state-run facilities classically do not get raises as the economy gets better---in fact they've been known for layoffs and cutbacks, all in the interest of fiscal salvation. But they are Union which does add some protection.
Nonetheless, MMMC is pretty much the only game in town on Maui as far as hospital jobs go. I know people who have worked there and it's extremely busy. There were plans for a new hospital on Maui that were squashed, apparently forever, a few years ago. Now MMMC is the only option for the foreseeable future so, if you're looking for a nursing job, that's it.
As a single guy I think you'll be doing okay---best of luck to you!
Oh I agree, I dont plan on making 50 dollars an hour. atleast as just a regular RN.(or any time soon)
I have done a decent amount of research, the only reason why I know that it has been doing better is because the hiring freeze has been lifted and they started improving their facilities.

I have been keeping track of it recently and have been talking to a public health nurse about what is going on in the hospital.

I thought they said the outlook on the lahaina hospital was looking better(as of 6 months ago)?

But even at 30 dollars an hour starting off I would be content with that tbh.(but I wont because I will most likely be working as an aide starting off)

ty for the info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 02:40 AM

431 posts, read 939,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rido View Post
Oh I agree, I dont plan on making 50 dollars an hour. atleast as just a regular RN.(or any time soon)
I have done a decent amount of research, the only reason why I know that it has been doing better is because the hiring freeze has been lifted and they started improving their facilities.

I have been keeping track of it recently and have been talking to a public health nurse about what is going on in the hospital.

I thought they said the outlook on the lahaina hospital was looking better(as of 6 months ago)?

But even at 30 dollars an hour starting off I would be content with that tbh.(but I wont because I will most likely be working as an aide starting off)

ty for the info
Here's hoping that you get an RN job sometime soon. My heart goes out to the new grads I see on Oahu who are working as NA's. They deserve so much better after all their hard work.
It's a tough road here but getting your foot in the door as a NA is a start. This is the reality of nursing in the Islands. A gorgeous place to live but so difficult in so many ways.
A nursing license used to be the golden ticket here. Sadly, no longer.
Enjoy your stay here, Rido. Again, best of luck to you.
Hugs and aloha.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:09 AM

80 posts, read 194,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
Here's hoping that you get an RN job sometime soon. My heart goes out to the new grads I see on Oahu who are working as NA's. They deserve so much better after all their hard work.
It's a tough road here but getting your foot in the door as a NA is a start. This is the reality of nursing in the Islands.
There are plenty of new grads on the mainland who cant get jobs at all(its harder here but hard in general). There is alot of talk about it on the nursing forums.

At least with a nursing assistant it can help new nurses develop people skills, patient care, and fast response. being able to excel as a nursing assistant will allow you to practice basic care.

Clinicals are nice, but you have such a huge safety net and you can take your time.

Most of all. You can prove yourself as a worker with the job, and show how competent you are as an employee.

As much as it is a slap in the face for some people, I think its a good learning opportunity for those who cant practice right away. Honestly, I wouldnt be able to do that job if I had 3+ years of ICU experience.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:10 PM

431 posts, read 939,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rido View Post
There are plenty of new grads on the mainland who cant get jobs at all(its harder here but hard in general). There is alot of talk about it on the nursing forums.

At least with a nursing assistant it can help new nurses develop people skills, patient care, and fast response. being able to excel as a nursing assistant will allow you to practice basic care.

Clinicals are nice, but you have such a huge safety net and you can take your time.

Most of all. You can prove yourself as a worker with the job, and show how competent you are as an employee.

As much as it is a slap in the face for some people, I think its a good learning opportunity for those who cant practice right away. Honestly, I wouldnt be able to do that job if I had 3+ years of ICU experience.
The difference between here and the mainland is that the hundreds of nursing school grads who graduate from our nursing schools every year are entering a market with very few options.
These grads are the sons, daughters, nieces, nephews, etc, of local residents, for the most part. They have that advantage and it is by no means an insignificant advantage here. This is your competition.
I have been a nurse for decades and, when I came here (with more than 3+ years of ICU experience, LOL), a nursing license was indeed the golden ticket. But now I see so many local new grads in your situation and everyone is advising them to go the mainland and get a couple of years experience and then come back but not before they have a firm job offer in hand. I've seen many leave after working as NA's or techs for a while. Their hoped-for offer of a nursing position here simply never materialized.
Yes, there are jobs on the mainland for new grads. My nephew's wife graduated from a nursing program in the Atlanta, Georgia area and immediately got an ER position, so it's possible. Many markets are tight but I don't think any market is as tight as the Hawaii nursing market. So few openings, so many new grads who are competing for them. And I'm sure you already have heard about how Hawaii employers prefer to hire locals---that's true, and it just adds another element of difficulty to the job hunt here.
There are still openings for RN's with solid work experience (sorry, but clinicals do not count). Hospitals are looking to slash budgets and one way to do it is to hire experienced RN's and skip the extended training and orientation that a new grad hire would need. They're cutting back wherever they can and new grad training has taken a tremendous hit.
If I were you I would set a time limit for myself and if an offer is not forthcoming when that time arrives I'd be ready to go back to the mainland for a job. Letting a lot of time go by between graduation and applying for an RN job makes you less attractive a candidate than a new grad fresh out of school would be. Be careful.
From one old nurse to a brand new one, wishing you the best and hoping that this all works out for you.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:08 PM

166 posts, read 313,673 times
According to the website, I'd need 24,000 less to live in honolulu than to live comparably in New york. Sounds good to me !! Question: would Maui or the Big island be cheaper than Honolulu ? I would assume so, but not sure.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
[quote=geo123;33137694]According to the website, I'd need 24,000 less to live in honolulu than to live comparably in New york. Sounds good to me !! [quote]

This is why you should triangulate your research... the Cost of Living Calculator I have found to be the most reliable shows Honolulu to be 9% more expensive than New York City... Sorry, it's a competitor of City-Data so I can't mention it. But the point is, don't make plans based on a single resource. Check what other information sources have to say.

Quote:
Question: would Maui or the Big island be cheaper than Honolulu ? I would assume so, but not sure.
According to current US Government Consumer Price surveys, Hilo is about 20% less expensive overall than Honolulu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii