Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:43 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
Are apartments in Honolulu really hostile to cats? That will be a deal breaker. Don't know anyone who will take them and a shelter is not an option. Apartments on the mainland are getting better but you pay a hefty price.
Go to the Oahu Craigslist and do a search with the "cat" box checked. I just did, and found 27 postings from just today.

hawaii craigslist > oahu > apts/housing for rent: search

I know, your cat box is checked regularly. :-)

Hank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 02:27 AM

203 posts, read 1,358,021 times
Could also check out the local newspapers. Many many more rental listings than craigslist.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 5,379 times
Default bringing pets to hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulver1101 View Post
me and my husband will be moving to oahu in feb and have a cat she is updated on all tests and shots but we read somewhere about quarentine. does anyone have any information on this and will she be able to go with us in feb? we would like to fly her on the plane with us but i'm not sure what the rules in hawaii are about bringing pets.
It is a lengthy process. You should start early about 4 to 5 months ahead of your trip. The quarantine is very expenisve and the timing of the shots and all the medical requirements for your pet have to be met in certain time frames.That is the hard part and why you have to start early to get things done. Contact the quaratine center on oahu for details. For example the first shots and then second shots etc and the amount of time in between. The pet will have to go into quaratine immediately upon arrival and be paid for up front

Old 12-11-2008, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,683 times
TO Pulver1101 - There are a few hoops to jump thru to get your cat into Hawaii with you, but certainly worth the trouble. I vacationed in Oahu for 2 weeks recently and saw only 1 stray cat the entire time so they must know where to hide! I am moving there in Sept 09 and will do everything to the letter to get my Mojo in with me. The worst part isnt the paperwork, its that he cannot ride in the passenger part of the plane, but MUST be checked into the cargo hold :-( ALL airlines must adhere to this going into Hawaii , UNLESS you are traveling from island to island and the cat is already a 'resident' . For this reason we will drive cross-country from Indiana to L.A. to cut 5 hrs off a 10 hr flight to Oahu. There are also other rules ....such as the airlines wont allow animals to be checked as baggage if the temp is 85 or above.....so an early morning or red-eye flight will be in order....but check ahead of time as to whether the animal control at the airport will be 'open' when the flight arrives ! Or the pet will sit there and wait. Good luck !

Old 12-12-2008, 10:46 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
If you get the travel crate early and let your pet sleep in it, they will become used to the crate as "home" so when they travel it won't all be new and different and they will be much calmer about the whole thing.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:18 AM

4 posts, read 23,666 times
You should start looking for a pet friendly rental, ASAP. Many building won't allow pets and even in the building that do, many landlords don't want the problems of damage, fleas, etc.

There is a great service on Oahu that helps people with pets find rentals, but I can't remember the name. In the mean time, maybe soneone out there can help me remember.

Last edited by 7th generation; 12-29-2008 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: recommendations are only allowed after 10 posts.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:10 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetPal View Post
You should start looking for a pet friendly rental, ASAP. Many building won't allow pets and even in the building that do, many landlords don't want the problems of damage, fleas, etc.

There is a great service on Oahu that helps people with pets find rentals, but I can't remember the name. ( Pets R US, Pets Ok, Pets Rental home finder??? ) I'll ask my friend who's used them a couple of times and always been hapy with the service. In the mean time, maybe soneone out there can help me remember.
I found this one by googling "pet friendly rentals":

*Hawaii Apartment Rental | Apartments for Rent in *Hawaii
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii