Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 11:26 AM

5 posts, read 29,106 times

Advertisements

It looks as if there are some boats that go to Hawaii. So then, could I buy a one way ticket somewhere?

Old 12-31-2007, 01:02 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetman View Post
It looks as if there are some boats that go to Hawaii. So then, could I buy a one way ticket somewhere?
Call the travel agency that put up the website. They include an 800 number.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:35 PM

5 posts, read 29,106 times
What if I wanted to be a (paid) stowaway on a cargo boat. That would be cool. How could I pull that off? I've heard that some places do that. How do I find them? Craigslist?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,913 times
im trying to get my pregnant wife to where i live in hawaii, im in the military and she cant travel on an airplane cause shes too far into her pregnancy, can i get a link to a site that does a direct boat from california to honolulu?

actually, if there is any other way she could get there without hurting my son, could you please give me a link? its either waiting til the kid is born and she comes, or get her here now, i prefer now...

Old 08-17-2009, 05:05 PM

285 posts, read 1,082,858 times
I'm no Dr. but I would think that if she were to visit her Dr. and talked with him or her about the trip I'm sure they would dicourage a boat from Ca. If she is able to take a boat ride that lasts for what 3 or 4 days? not sure I would think she would be ok with a 4-5 hour plane ride. Ask her Dr.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:18 AM

13 posts, read 53,942 times
ha wind surfing. i am trying to get to pahoa by boat from so cal. the best thing we can do is build one if those scrap boats from recycled soda bottles and the regular currents take us right to pahoa. . i am ready to build one now and get there . seventrees..

Old 03-19-2010, 12:03 PM

5 posts, read 10,732 times
i know this is an old post. but maybe someone could explain how one could take a boat to Hawaii, i do not like flying due to the tyrannical treatment the government put Americans though at airports, the big clamp down on travel and naked body scanners i will never submit to. thanks guys

Old 03-19-2010, 12:34 PM

231 posts, read 849,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0megaclass View Post
i know this is an old post. but maybe someone could explain how one could take a boat to Hawaii, i do not like flying due to the tyrannical treatment the government put Americans though at airports, the big clamp down on travel and naked body scanners i will never submit to. thanks guys

No offense, but I'm a commercial pilot and have been through every airport in the country and have gone through the same scanners/pat downs as the flying public. I have never had more than a 15-20 minute wait to get from the front of the security line to the end... And that's flying though LAX, SFO, NYC,ATL etc..in civilian clothes where no body knows I am a pilot.

Also there is currently only 1 body scanner in use today. And only a handful of those "puffer" machines that blow air on you to take samples for explosives. And other than the carry on bag restrictions and having to take your shoes off I can't imagine airline travel to Hawaii being that bad where you refuse to do it..Of course taking a cruise to HI would be more fun, but probably a bit more expensive and take much longer.

Just my opinion

Old 03-19-2010, 12:38 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Flying is a much quicker way to get to Hawaii, but if you have reasons you don't want to fly, then there may be options although it will take considerably longer and probably be more expensive.

There are several ways to get to Hawaii by boat. Probably the most comfortable would be to take one of the cruise ships when they relocate them to their next season's area of sailings. Check the cruise ship sites and see about "relocation" cruises, I think they call them. There are several of the Holland and NCL line cruise ships which are shifted from Northern ports to Hawaii for the winters and then back again in the summers. They only shift the boats about twice a year so they are very limited sailings.

The other option is by private sailboat. Check with classified ads in the back of some of the sailing magazines such as "Latitude 38" and see if there are any looking for crew. At least Hawaii is downwind of California. Small boats like that would probably take three weeks or so to get to Hawaii. You'd have to make private arrangements with the captain of the boat as to time, what your duties would be, etc.

I don't know if any of the big container ships allow passengers or not, although you could ask Matson or Horizon since both of them sail to Hawaii.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:23 PM

820 posts, read 3,034,996 times
I went through a body scanner, and it was no big deal to me. They did say you can't have anything in your pockets, like wads of tissue even. My all plastic belt raised a problem and I had to be patted down. Still not a problem to me, I really don't care that some stranger in a booth somewhere saw my vague bodily outline or even shadows.

Actually I briefly considered putting on sticky vinyl letters that spelled out ALOHA on my stomach, if only to make the scanner person smile. But I'd only do that if I had extra time, just in case they didn't think it so funny.

Recently I was waiting for a friend to arrive at Maui airport, so got to watch the security line. It looked really long, but when I watched one person's progress, it was only 4 minutes from the end of the line to the walk-through. Often our impressions can be deceiving, and the delay isn't as long as we think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: