Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 07:09 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,556,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Adams View Post
this is just my opinion based on my experience
Not to mention a racist one as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 09:11 AM

416 posts, read 409,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
OP, I don't have much to offer in the way of solid information, mainly because I've never even visited Hawaii, let alone lived there. But this was in interesting thread, primarily from the viewpoint of how our society has changed. A hundred and fifty years ago, and maybe even much less than that, a person looking to move into the wilderness and live off the land would have been "normal" - a Pioneer, in name, and maybe even idolized as some form of "Mountain Man", such as Jim Bridger or Hugh Glass. Today, such a person is seen as indigent, a burden, even classified as "a bum". Perhaps you were simply born too late in our history.

On the other hand, I think part of the problem is that folks with your mindset aren't really looking to be a "homesteader"; instead, you want the plusses of living off the land (no set job or schedule, not having to maintain a real residence), but want society to provide you with certain comforts (asking for "donations", being close to a clinic should be become sick, being able to buy essentials, etc..). If you were truly serious about living like Jeremiah Johnson, you'd forego all the comforts that modern society provides, and head deep into the interior of a national forest somewhere in the west (Utah, maybe?) build a small dugout, and actually live like Jeremiah Johnson, coming into town once a year to buy coffee, salt, and cartridges. Living miles from any road, it's unlikely you'd be found out, plenty of communing with nature to be had in the deep woods. Remember to bring an ax, bow, and enough supplies to make it through that first winter, however. My guess is that wouldn't last long, modern civilization provides way too many comforts and safeties for most folks to stay away from for long. Not trying to be critical and demeaning here, just honest.
Could not agree with you more. Modern quote I’m going to live off the grid “is really about being a vagabond and whining no responsibilities yet being a drag on society when you inevitably need the services that you were not contributing to. Furthermore, a lot of homeless encampments are very damaging to the environment. As you said we are not talking about a mountain man living in harmony with nature.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:06 PM

175 posts, read 183,349 times
OP is the perfect example of someone who should be ejected from Hawaii and banned from returning.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:21 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times
OMG, OP appears serious about coming to Big Island. Perhaps I'm using the term "serious" a bit loosely, but:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/aviat...nd-hawaii.html

Old 12-09-2019, 07:58 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,807 times
It sounds like you might want to check out finding work specifically in a spiritual retreat or in holistic medicine--something along those lines. There is a huge demand and even several conferences a year all over the world that center on these topics. I know a few people in these industries and one has a lifestyle that sounds pretty close to what you want. He works at a retreat in the middle of a dense and remote forest that people drop a couple thousand to attend for a weekend. He started by volunteering and getting free room and board and then he began teaching and getting paid.

I bet you could eventually leverage that to achieve most of the lifestyle you are looking for either in Hawaii or elsewhere. You can still be well outside of mainstream society but with a reliable and safe place to sleep and enjoy nature.

People seem to be feeling stress much more intensely lately and related industries that help people cope with it are exploding.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:38 PM

9 posts, read 3,827 times
Hi, I'm "homeless" in Hawaii too--let's connect!

Old 01-07-2020, 06:58 PM

927 posts, read 759,730 times
the hawaiian mafia won't let you live homeless there

Old 01-09-2020, 09:20 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelackof View Post
Hi people, I am an outdoor traveler.
I sold everything I own including my vehicle in order to live outside, travel and see the good and bad of the world.
This is my choice and has nothing to do with the approval of others.

I am a kind person, honest, I hate plastic, I mind my own business....

I have helped addicts to become sober and I have helped homeless people to clean up after themselves and get back on their feet.

So.. not all "homeless" people are the same.

In fact, I don't consider my self homeless at all. It's just a word that others will associate to me anyway, but truly, I love on this great Earth.

So... I read all in to the islands years ago when I was going to move there and work a job.

but that was so long ago. I have new questions now if you all would be kind to help me with some answers!!

Thank you!
I'm bored, so I'll play along for the heck of it based on my experiences living on Oahu.

Quote:
1. Someone told my that native villagers do not like caucasians.. I find this hard to believe. Please, what are the details on this?
I'm going to assume you mean non-white locals by "native villagers." If so, I've had some of my white friends (including an LDS couple who was openly discriminated against at a local meeting hall) tell me that they have faced discrimination. But, apart from the LDS couple, I've found that most people doing such complaining often have a certain arrogance about them, so it wouldn't surprise me if locals took offense to a certain entitled attitude and not necessarily to their racial background.

Quote:
2. I am a very spiritual person. I seek God in my life and I do so in private. Is there are spiritual presence around the islands or does tourism outweigh the light?
There are religious/spiritual communities all throughout the islands. Not everything is tourist central and there are real communities .

Quote:
3. Can I build a hut somewhere in the forests and be left alone? Or is all land privately owned and aggressively defended?
Sorry, but

Quote:
4. I read years ago about meth and gangs being a big thing on some of the islands. True?
Sure, like everywhere else in this country. But the gang problem may be considered "big" by some in certain areas, but I never personally experienced it.

Quote:
5. Are there fresh water springs on the islands that I could drink from?
I wouldn't be the one to try.

Quote:
6. Is it easy to get a job at a hotel? I have hotel bell service and valet experience, and although I would prefer to mind to my business in nature, I am still wondering about the options of getting a job at a hotel.
Don't know, but I'd imagine that there is a lot of turnover for certain hotel industry jobs.

Quote:
7. Is there a large or small vegan/vegetarian presence on the islands?
Speaking for my experience on Oahu only, you won't be disappointed for lack of vegan/vegetarian options.

Quote:
8. Could I kayak easily between the islands?
Certainly not between all of the islands, but I don't know about all.

Quote:
9. If I were sleeping outside with no shelter, what might be some insects or animals that could pose as dangerous threats?
Rats, perhaps. There are centipedes as well.

Quote:
10. Does food grow easy on the islands? I want to plant fruits and vegetables.
If you have the land, go for it. My old LL has an avocado tree, chestnut tree, and some other fruit trees in her backyard in Pearl City.

Quote:
11. What do you think about fukushima and any current radiation problems?
My father told me to not eat fish from the Pacific after Fukishima, but I did and still do. I trust that the food is safe to eat.

Quote:
12. Any other information I may need to know about?
What else do you want to know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii