Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:21 PM

805 posts, read 1,510,165 times

Advertisements

Blaming anyone is not a great way to take responsibility for one's own life, whatever color you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 02:42 PM

228 posts, read 802,787 times
I was born and raised in Hawaii (haole). There was very definite racism, and it was hard growing up knowing you had a handful of kids like yourself, and you were always picked on. It made me into a more understanding person and I try not to be racist now that I'm in a less mixed area. However, people of all ethnicities need to stop blaming everything on the white guy, or the purple guy, or whatever. Like PM said, blaming is such a cop out.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:35 AM

217 posts, read 640,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
Blaming anyone is not a great way to take responsibility for one's own life, whatever color you are.
Everytime people start blaming other people for stuff, I always let them blame me. It's all my fault. All of it. Global warming, world peace, all of it. That usually shuts em up pretty good
just being silly, sorry couldn't help myself, that's what happens when you work on a saturday.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:38 PM

18 posts, read 59,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annjaec View Post
Beaches??? Who has the time for that when we are too busy working trying to survive the economic crises and the ridiculous cost of living in HI. What good does all the lush and beaches if we are always trying to make ends meet here??
I didn't realize we who live in Hawaii are the ONLY ones who have to try and make ends meet? Sheesh, and what better reason to take some stress out by visiting the beach once in awhile too?

Old 03-14-2010, 11:44 PM

52 posts, read 208,962 times
We are here only about 17 months,here on The Big Island . We are what is referred to as mainlanders ,not sure if you ever lose that title,anyway yes it is expensive and we lived all over mainland,family is very important here and all stick together at times not always for the good.It is okay we did not move here to change anyone who lives here. Most people were born here and have secrets and a wealth of knowledgeto share if you can take the time to listen. Alot of islanders are still upset with what US government did to their people. I was not here. I am trying to learn and stay unbiased. This was a downfall of mine while I judged people thru my ignorance while living 40 plus years on the mainland.I am trying real hard and it is working. We have not made any friends as of yet ,though you cannot rush what is golden. Patience and a willing to love and respect the island is needed,some cannot change to island living. It is not good dragging all the bad baggage here from your soul as it will cloud your thoughts and hinder you from feeling at peace.I had a bad auto accident prior to moving here and had alot of obstacles to overcome as my bitterness tried to drag me down. I climbed out and I am glad to awaken to The Big Island and all its contrasts. We will need to move in about 3-4 years and we will probably move to Oahu for medical services,transportation and even furthering our education . I have a real appetite to learn and just maybe an elder islander can show me the way.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:58 AM

40 posts, read 97,839 times
Sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Sadly due to the high costs, many of the hawaiian people are moving to the mainland. The children, who attend college on the mainland do not return to HI, as they can have a better lifestyle i.e. own a home, take a vacation, secure a good job with benefits on the mainland. The building of multi-million dollar residences which remain vacant most of the time only increases the taxes for the blue collar people.

In the past 11 years construction on the south end of Maui (Kihei/Wailea) has changed the beauty of the area tremendously.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:22 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,621 times
Quote:
Sadly due to the high costs, many of the hawaiian people are moving to the mainland. The children, who attend college on the mainland do not return to HI, as they can have a better lifestyle i.e. own a home, take a vacation, secure a good job with benefits on the mainland. The building of multi-million dollar residences which remain vacant most of the time only increases the taxes for the blue collar people.

In the past 11 years construction on the south end of Maui (Kihei/Wailea) has changed the beauty of the area tremendously.
Most of the people who i work with that are from Hawaii Quoted the reason why they are not returning to Hi to retire ..I picked the Big Island because of it beening a little more laid back when it comes to thing's

The land price's where in a more affordable price range for someone who was looking to buy land ..

Plus some people will never fit in no matter what and maybe it better some people do not live here

Old 07-21-2011, 07:14 PM

14 posts, read 40,423 times
Default Moving to Maui in August and dont think I will have the problems that this person has who started the thread

Moving with the idea of being respectful to the island and everyone on it. Maui is Wowee

Old 07-22-2011, 10:17 PM

79 posts, read 231,143 times
Quote:

Not sure where you have been my friend. But what you are describing is the american dream. And currently the american dream is dead..... Don't believe me? Tell them to move to the glorious "mainland" of detroit, mi and see how well they do....
These days it is survival of the fittest..... No matter where you live.... You need intelligence, education, a career, guts, good connections and even a bit of luck to make it in today's economy......

Old 07-24-2011, 01:49 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehbrah View Post
Yeah, Hawaii, like other high cost cities are filled with the haves and haves-not. Can't blame the OP for feeling bitter. Hawaii is not a good place to be if a good standard of living is a high priority.

What is a "good standard of living". Mine would be shelter, food, love and family. I think I'd do okay just about anywhere.

Okay, I admit I'd like internet access too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii