Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2021, 03:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
That's a lot of travel. What do you play there? Poker?
Yep - you'll generally find me at the tournaments running at Aria/Venetian/Wynn - played several of the Bellagio Five Diamond tourney's this month - and in my opinion - Bellagio has really lost their way with poker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2021, 07:12 PM

21,760 posts, read 16,382,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Uh - wife - family - business ties - certainly not here for what I consider the overly hot/humid weather.
Aha. And those are among the significant reasons I don’t live full-time in Hawaii since my military assignments way back.

But reading further your interests, we are quite opposite in lifestyle and leisure pursuits. Gambling, gaming, stage entertainment, dining out, wine tours, bar hopping, sporting events … pretty much not a playbook for an Hawaii lifestyle, alright.

Yet, while my interests are doable in Hawaii, the venues for sailing, kayaking, hiking, wilderness camping et al also just really lack much variety in the Islands compared to mainland.

Still, I never seem to stop wrestling with my affection for my on-again / off-again life in Hawaii. Seems best I should just stick with part-timing as I have since the 60s.

Old 12-25-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

But reading further your interests, we are quite opposite in lifestyle and leisure pursuits. Gambling, gaming, stage entertainment, dining out, wine tours, bar hopping, sporting events … pretty much not a playbook for an Hawaii lifestyle, alright.
The phrase of Las Vegas as the 9th Island rings true - especially downtown Las Vegas. Take out wine tours above and it highly matches a desired Hawaii lifestyle for many - the locals just have to fly to get it.

Old 12-25-2021, 09:45 PM

Quote:
The phrase of Las Vegas as the 9th Island rings true - especially downtown Las Vegas. Take out wine tours above and it highly matches a desired Hawaii lifestyle for many - the locals just have to fly to get it.
Sure … and I’ll rephrase: ‘not a match for lifestyle that takes place in the eight islands in the middle of the Pacific’

Old 12-27-2021, 02:34 PM

Regrettably:

One of Molokai's most iconic tourist adventures, the mule ride down the 2,000-foot-tall Molokai sea cliffs to Kalaupapa, is closed indefinitely.Apr 30, 2018

Rent dispute closes iconic Molokai mule ride - Travel Weekly

I think this is still the case.

Old 01-19-2022, 04:44 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,594,564 times
I know this is an old thread, but I'm missing Hawaii a lot. Lived on the Big Island for several years, and I'm not likely to get back until my son takes my ashes to Punalu'u Black Sand Beach.

In the mean time, I listen to Iz to transport me back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

Old 01-20-2022, 10:44 AM

51 posts, read 42,192 times
Quote:
Regrettably:

One of Molokai's most iconic tourist adventures, the mule ride down the 2,000-foot-tall Molokai sea cliffs to Kalaupapa, is closed indefinitely.Apr 30, 2018

Rent dispute closes iconic Molokai mule ride - Travel Weekly

I think this is still the case.
I heard the dispute also had something to do with just WHO was responsible for maintaining the trail. With the resort closed and the ranch having ceased operations, makes you wonder just how long the population can stave off development - it's a fact that a raw land vacuum attracts developers ya know -. Money, influence, and just pain greed tends to trump development opposition most times. Particularly on an island which, I understand, is one of the few places in the U.S. where recipients have no limit on how long they receive welfare due to lack of (legal) economic activity... V/R

Old 01-20-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawamura View Post
I heard the dispute also had something to do with just WHO was responsible for maintaining the trail. With the resort closed and the ranch having ceased operations, makes you wonder just how long the population can stave off development - it's a fact that a raw land vacuum attracts developers ya know -.
Considering the island of Maui has halted new hotel development the next 2 years - I seriously doubt Maui County will rezone Molokai to ever be developed - unless Molokai somehow becomes its own County - and that new County had representatives who desired rezoning - and the land isn't ultimately owned by the State.

Will not happen

Old 01-20-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Considering the island of Maui has halted new hotel development the next 2 years - I seriously doubt Maui County will rezone Molokai to ever be developed - unless Molokai somehow becomes its own County - and that new County had representatives who desired rezoning - and the land isn't ultimately owned by the State.

Will not happen
Yup.

Which is a good thing IMO.

Old 01-20-2022, 12:34 PM

30,662 posts, read 18,276,650 times
Quote:
Yup.

Which is a good thing IMO.
I agree. I think some islands should be left alone (or relatively so). The entire state (minus Niihau) doesn't need to be a tourist trap).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii