Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 02:08 PM

160 posts, read 486,018 times

Advertisements

My bad I guess. I have never seen anyone fill up a gallon bag of sand. Why would anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 06:01 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badatta2de View Post
My bad I guess. I have never seen anyone fill up a gallon bag of sand. Why would anyone?
Some people collect sand from the beaches they visit, and take it back to make shadowbox crafts and the like. Sometimes, they make several, so they load up. Or they make little sand scenes and decorate them with shells and little tiny beach toys. In particular, the black and green sand because it's a novelty. It's a cheap collectible/souvenier.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:23 PM

160 posts, read 486,018 times
Most of the mass produced stuff like at Walmart is just colored salt. I'm guilty I guess I took home a quarter size dollop of green sand. didn't take it very far really lol. Its resting atop my store bought white coral sand that is in a jar I use to burn small candles.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:42 AM

5 posts, read 16,650 times
Well, now that the airlines are charging so much for checked baggage (and weighing it!), people are cutting back on how much luggage they check, so there is less room for tourists to steal sand. :0

But on a serious note, of unquestionable concern is the quarrying of Puu Hina'i near Waikoloa. When a Puu can be cut away truckload by truckload, that destruction of the aina is something the public should be alarmed about.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:00 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,463 times
When thinking about the trucked in sand that waikiki and some other resorts have, think of it this way. These are areas where sand was once naturally dispersed. At some point, whether it was tides changing or it's supply changing, the sand was removed or depleted. The resort or area, however, still needs a beach, so they have to do something to keep one there, ie, bring it in themselves. If the sand in Waikiki leaves, then the ocean moves to the buildings (obvious problem there...) and no more tourists. The Ocean constantly moves the waikiki sand out into off shore sand bars and such. As much as this isn't human-made errosion, it's a fine example of the ways beaches, sand and other things in nature come and go. There just isn't any logical reason for us to add to it's cycle, esspecially not take away from it.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
One thing that is not just superstition, based on experience, is the bad luck you get from taking rocks from the volcano. Pele really doesn't like it. And every year the park receives thousands of packages from tourists sending it back, once they found out the curse is real.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:59 PM

15 posts, read 70,962 times
This happens all over the world, not just Hawaii. My first time will be in March and not only will I not take any sand I'm not going to touch any coral or chase any turtles. That makes me mad to see and hear people destroying some of the most beautiful places on Earth. If they want to take anything, maybe they can try taking some of those 'Hawaiian' pigs

Old 03-28-2011, 04:08 PM

124 posts, read 661,321 times
I actually just got back from there..I too had a small little baggie of black sand and a few lava rocks...after reading all the stuff about bad luck and eco related threads I left them there..but not before taking a bunch of really good photos!! Would I have LOVED that beautiful piece of shiny lava rock?? YES....but ultimately I left it there. There was a guy in Kona who had a little jar of the green sand..now THAT was beautiful!!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:59 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahrose View Post
I actually just got back from there..I too had a small little baggie of black sand and a few lava rocks...after reading all the stuff about bad luck and eco related threads I left them there..but not before taking a bunch of really good photos!! Would I have LOVED that beautiful piece of shiny lava rock?? YES....but ultimately I left it there. There was a guy in Kona who had a little jar of the green sand..now THAT was beautiful!!
Mahalo nui loa for loving the aina, and leaving the sand and rocks behind when you returned home. That way they'll still be here for you and others to enjoy when you return! Which you should do soon. And often.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 AM

124 posts, read 661,321 times
My sister had taken some lava pieces too, but right before we left she put them back...with the sand too, lol!! she was only going to show her kids in her classroom the lava and use it for a teaching piece, and someone had asked her to bring back a little black sand....but after hearing all the locals telling her how it was not eco friendly to take stuff from the islands she also returned everything. I will visit again...and get to that green sand beach next time....it looked beautiful!!! And no, I won't take any sand....but I will sink my feet in it and take lots of pictures!!! Sand+feet= free pedicure!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii