Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:55 AM

12 posts, read 87,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm96792 View Post
Bottomline is Waianae is a cool and tough neighborhood with huge hearts.

Levi

*wysiwyg
WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet
I have to agree 100% Levi about the bottomline!

Coming from a non-local living here:

You can see the beauty or the evil anywhere you go or any place you live. I have lived all over this planet and out of every place I have lived i feel the safest out here in the country!!! And I live by myself for the time being, until my Hawaiian returns from overseas! I love it here

I have never had a problem doing anything in Waianae. The only attitude in Waianae I have experienced was from Caucasian-Americans at Rest Camp!!! I can go to Longs, Tamuras, Hanaras, Pray 4 sex, or anywhere for that matter and not get attitude but if I go to the NEX, oh man, attitude for days! It's funny how different the reality can be when you have an open heart.

The only thing that is really sad, is the homeless population that has been mentioned. To see things like that is very heartbreaking and humbling at the same time. I guess if you have a choice and a car to come and see for yourself you should consider yourself lucky right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 10:52 AM

285 posts, read 1,083,047 times
I totaly agree with the above post, I said almost the same thing in a previous post on this thread. Personaly I would not want to be anyplace else, this is the best area on the island the people, the scenery and the beaches just cant be beat. However if you must commute to town everyday thats a whole other story.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 11,931 times
Default Simply live simply!

I have been travelling from the Mainland US to Oahu for the last 4 years on vacation. Initially I stayed in Makaha off of Farrington Hwy (Upena) and have never had a problem, loved the culture in the neighborhood and was treated with respect.

On one particular vacation we stayed on the North Shore and found it to be more expensive and missing the true nature of Hawaii. Too many lights, too many people who seemed not to respect Hawaiian culture and the native people.

Yes you will see homes subject to economic hardships, you'll see that anywhere you travel, but it's something about Makaha that always brings me back. Maybe it's the rib/shrimp shacks, the isolated beaches, the starry skies or the people themselves (even those who live in tents), but when travelling on vacation to Oahu, I choose the West Side!

Old 12-04-2009, 05:06 PM
zoa

60 posts, read 491,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
I don't suppose you realize that human sacrifice used to be an accepted practice not long before the "takeover"
The takeover was a couple of generations after the kapu system fell apart - which ended the sacrificing of criminals, war slaves and people (both ali'i and common) that violated certain kapu traditions. The act was part of the culture and kapu system of Hawaii.
Want to learn about that? Here's an awesome document from the UH @ Manoa :
http://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu...8n1-81-125.pdf

Waianae is home of several members of my family - both by blood (meaning they are Irish/French & Scot) and marriage. I've never had issues going to Waianae, Waianae Valley, Nanakuli, Makaha, Lualualei... or anyplace on that side of the island. I've hung out at Maili point and the beaches of Makaha "just because" and played my guitar with many others out that side. The secret? I'm respectful and friendly to everyone.

People who go to the west side with an attitude of superiority will have issues. People who do not respect others' property, lifestyle or space will have issues. People who think their part of this planet is better than anyone else's will have issues.

Wait... isn't it like that just about everywhere?

The difference with Hawaii is that we are all so condensed on our rocks-in-the-middle-of-the-sea and we cannot just drive off to another state/country when we don't like it anymore. When disaster strikes, we all pull together and help each other. We all learn in one way or another to make do.. and with that comes respect for our neighbors.

The military people have issues because they tend to take on the supiriority complex that comes with the chain-of-command mentality. I don't know how many times I've heard, "I'm so-and-such rank so I should get whatever-it-is before you!" That doesn't go too well here in Hawaii.

Showing respect for others is of the utmost importance in Waianae, Hawaii, anywhere. Learn that and you will never have an issue going anywhere.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 11,774 times
I am interested in talking to anyone who may have lived in the Nanakuli area in 1975. Please DM me.[mod] For security concerns, please do not post your e mail addy here. Thanks.[/mod] Thank you so much.

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-23-2010 at 03:46 PM..

Old 12-19-2009, 10:51 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
The military people have issues because they tend to take on the supiriority complex that comes with the chain-of-command mentality. I don't know how many times I've heard, "I'm so-and-such rank so I should get whatever-it-is before you!" That doesn't go too well here in Hawaii.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

After 30 years in the military I take offense to your statement and strongly disagree.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 11,217 times
Cool I'm looking for Mike Boles an old friend from high school

Does anyone know Michael Boles? He has a brother named Billy and one nmed Thomas. I believe his father was also Thomas. We were best friends 30 years ago before the family moved from Tennessee. My email address is [EMAIL="mlee@leeandlee.com"]mlee@leeandlee.com[/EMAIL]

Thank you

MarkLee

Old 04-23-2010, 12:57 AM

95 posts, read 296,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmuse View Post
I've lived on Oahu almost 4 years now and have stayed away from Waianae mostly because of others warnings. Been out there a couple times and was utterly depressed at all the homeless people living on the beaches in their tents, many of them addicted to drugs. Military members have been killed out there and that's why they get warned away from it. My friend is a case worker and picked up almost all her clients from out there. Can't say what it's like to be a resident, but imo until the state actually takes genuine steps to recognize their drastic homelessness problem out there, there will always be a stigma associated with Waianae.
...So let me get this straight... You just responded to a question on this forum on a place YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN and we're supposed to value your opinion? Until YOU go out there and experience life on the "west side", Moderator cut: Please do not make derogatory comments in the forum. Thanks. I have never lived in N. Dakota and WOULD NOT go on a national forum website and make comments about folks in N.D...... Just sayin.

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-23-2010 at 03:49 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 01:00 AM

[quote=zoa;11893024]The takeover was a couple of generations after the kapu system fell apart - which ended the sacrificing of criminals, war slaves and people (both ali'i and common) that violated certain kapu traditions. The act was part of the culture and kapu system of Hawaii.
Want to learn about that? Here's an awesome document from the UH @ Manoa :
http://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu...8n1-81-125.pdf

People who go to the west side with an attitude of superiority will have issues. People who do not respect others' property, lifestyle or space will have issues. People who think their part of this planet is better than anyone else's will have issues.

Wait... isn't it like that just about everywhere?

The difference with Hawaii is that we are all so condensed on our rocks-in-the-middle-of-the-sea and we cannot just drive off to another state/country when we don't like it anymore. When disaster strikes, we all pull together and help each other. We all learn in one way or another to make do.. and with that comes respect for our neighbors.

You had valid points up until the military chain of command mentality remark. ALL military knows that ranks stuff ends at the gate! The attitude I believe you are trying to convey is "my home town is better than your home town" mentality which is common among a lot military, that I will agree on.

Last edited by Rayinhawaii; 04-23-2010 at 01:03 AM.. Reason: no comment made yet....

Old 04-23-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oawho View Post
if you ever visit Waianae you'll get the feeling that it is rundown, neglected.

The further up you go up the coast on Farrington highway, you'll see shuttered shops, old buildings. The coastline is nice in some parts but you can't help but notice the tents on the beach parks.

The city has cleaned up the "west side" beach parks since this post..... Still not considered cool like the east side but a lot better since the tent cities are gone. Besides.... If the west side was so bad, why would Nicole from the Pussycat Dolls buy her folks a nice spread on the "westside"..... hmmm....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu