Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:51 PM

206 posts, read 534,977 times

Advertisements

I lived in Waikiki and Honouliuli for 3-4 years a long time ago. I also hung out in Nanakuli and Waianae. My friends told me that I was accepted there only because I was with my local friends.
I don't know if things have changed, but in those day's, there was much predjuduce and violence against Haole's, but only the males, because the local guy's love Haole girls.

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-25-2010 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 9,507 times
I lived on the Island for 3 years. I was non military and worked in Waianae, but lived in Mililani. I absolutely love Waianae. I rarely go to town when I am on the island. I stay in Makaha or Koolina, but never Honolulu. I just feel more at home there.

Every one there is real layed back and just good folks. It reminds me of the hospitality of the Southeast. Just like every where else. If you go with your manners you'll be fine. If not then don't expect to be treated well.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:47 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,200 times
Default Sheraton

Quote:
Originally Posted by blognow View Post
I was born and raised in Hawaii and currently live in the mainland. Today a friend of mine told me she was going to HI for a visit and wanted to know how bad Waianae was. I never lived in that area - the only time I wondered into that territory was when I accompanied my boyfriend to surf - so I decided to search online. I didn't get the impression that it was safe but yet didn't realize it was that bad. Is it that bad? I'd like to know - I remember spending time at Sheraton Makaha so it couldn't be that bad, right?

This property is no longer part of the Sheraton chain. I've only stayed there once and it was just OK.

I understand that the new Disney resort is putting pressure on the local goverment to clean up the beaches on the west side and increase the beach access. This should be a win for all, residents & tourists.

Maybe next....road improvements!

Old 06-04-2010, 02:39 AM

1 posts, read 9,429 times
I was born N raised up in Waianae. Everywhere you go they talk down about Waianae (West Side) like we bad or the females fight like males. It always had a bad reputation. To me I was raised there and didn't think anything of it, it was a way of life. I mean yeah we would have fights that take up the whole road even blocked traffic. Waianae has been a place where it's labeled not to go to. Honestly in the day is your best bet to go down Waianae at night i don't think so even ask DOG THE BOUNTY HUNTER not even his crew would dare to kick it down Waianae finding a fugitive at night. Waianae is one way in, one way out. I love it and miss it. I'm in the states now but I went back home in February the only change is the population. Thanks

Old 06-04-2010, 03:56 PM

117 posts, read 545,249 times
FYI hawaii is the 50th state

Old 06-24-2010, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 15,089 times
I was born and raised in Hawaii. My mom was Hawaiian even though my dad was from Michigan. I was born at Queen Kapiolani Hospital, lived in Waimanalo until I was six years old, and then we moved to Waianae. Despite the fact that my mom was a native girl, my brothers, sisters and I tend to look more Hapa Haoli. It has been a string in my siblings lives that the 'local' kids found it necessary to beat up on them, and me, because we just didn't look 'local' enough. From the time I was in intermediate school straight up through high school, I lived in fear because kids I have never ever seen before decided they didn't like the way I looked and wanted to gang fight me. It's pretty damn bad when you end up afraid to even leave your own front yard for fear of being physically harmed. I just didn't understand this and wondered if they knew my mom, would they have changed their ways. On of the best days of my life is when I moved to the mainland in 1975. I've been back twice since then, the last time to see my dad before he passed on. My husband and I walked from my sister's house in Makaha to my parent's home in Waianae and I was scared out of my wits for fear of being beaten again. That fear will never go away. I miss my home, my family who still resides there. I'm proud to be Hawaiian and I listen every work day to a Hawaiian satellite radio station. The memories come and go, the hurt comes and goes...but I have no intentions of going back to Hawaii. I know not all of the islanders are hateful and brutal, but there is a definite prejudice and I can't help what happened many, many years ago. If these kids knew that I was related to Hawaiian royalty, would they have treated me differently. So sad. I truly miss my home and the beauy that is Hawaii. Ho'o ponopono..Dear Father, I am sorry. Please forgive me. I love you. And I thank you. I forgive and release all those who have harmed me.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:32 PM

4 posts, read 26,934 times
The Waianae coast is BEAUTIFUL. The city has removed all homeless people on the coast. Went to Makaha this week and it is the most beautiful place on the island. The ocean seems so clear and the beaches are not crowded so you can really enjoy nature as it should be experienced. The people of Hawaii are lucky to have such a beautiful place.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:19 AM

4 posts, read 26,934 times
Default The Waianae Coast is BEAUTIFUL

The city has cleaned up the Waianae coast. No homeless people on the beaches anymore. We did not even see one homeless person's tent. The Waianae beaches are the most beautiful beaches on the island. Unlike the Windward side (Kailua etc.) the Leeward side is sunny most of the time. People who have been criticizing places like Makaha, Maile, etc. in the past do not realize that this information is totally outdated. And these people have been missing out on the part of the island that is the most beautiful. The Sunsets are unmatched by anyplace on this island. The beaches are uncrowded and straight out of a story book. We stayed in a beach house in Makaha and it was absolutely unbelievable. We were right on the beach and the ocean was our backyard. The people in the town were so friendly and helpful. It's great to get to meet the locals. Our vacation was only two weeks but by the time we had to go home, we felt like a local too. In fact we saw more homeless people in Waikiki than we did in Makaha. Glad we chose to stay at the beach house in Makaha. It was not a touristy place and we left with memories that we could not get anyplace else.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 8,604 times
Seriously, I like the stigma. I lived here for 40 years n if the rep keeps ni'ele people out, then go with it. outsiders will never understand and truthfully we don't want them too. people keep stereotyping us, as long as it keeps our population down, then so be it. grew up fighting, as tita as it gets, can be the sweetest person, but don't lemme show my colors!! as for the homeless, hellur, these people are from ALL OVER THE ISLAND AND MAINLAND not just Waianae. So take back ur kuleana, why u making it ours??

Old 11-10-2010, 03:54 PM

346 posts, read 967,829 times
I'm from the east side, and I'll say that the leeward coast is "different." It has an older feel. There aren't any homeless at some of the parks, but as of about 6 months ago there were homeless people camping at at least a few of the many beach parks (as well as on undeveloped land between farrington hwy and the beach).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu