Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:57 AM

17 posts, read 121,595 times

Advertisements

Albizia (Falcataria mollucanna) gets to be more like 125 feet tall. There is a front of it spreading in certain areas of the big island and parts of the other islands. On the big island, it does very well at killing our native Ohia forests. The brittle branches are also a major safety hazard and often fall on homesm, cars, people... They are big trees, so can cost a lot of money to remove.

As for the coqui, you get used to them after a couple weeks, just as you would if living next to a highway or airport. That said, after living in Hilo for two years, I am so very glad to get back to Kauai where the nights are peaceful with nothing but a few crickets and other minor noises in the distance. Where you can hear the wonderful noises of the night once again as opposed to one noise- incessant chirping.

One good aspect of cocui is that they drive down the price of realestate because nobody wants to live amongst a bunch of loud frogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 08:04 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,265,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise31 View Post
For all the times I have been to the islands I was never regaled with a full chorus like I was a few weeks ago; rented a house on Hilo side.
I actually ended up feeling serenaded to sleep by them, funny little buggers..!!!
There's an iPhone app for that...

Old 08-29-2009, 09:00 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,307,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
There's an iPhone app for that...
What??? Wow.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:42 PM

25 posts, read 77,263 times
They have Coquis in Hawaii?? I thought they existed only in Puerto Rico! I can't believe people think they are a nuisance! I love the sounds of coquis... but maybe its because I only hear them when I'm on vacation in PR and not living there all the time. Now I understand why my family there doesnt seem as excited as I do when I hear them. But they sure are proud of them, every gift shop has coqui stuff!
* note to self: just found one more reason to love HI!!! ;-)

Old 09-13-2009, 02:23 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,602,126 times
In forested areas there are 10'000, yes, ten thousand frogs per acre. I live on a forested acre. I have at least 10,000. You do get used to them. You get used to turning the TV to full volume. You get used to shouting at each other, and over the phone. You get used to them getting inside the house. You get used to guests leaving before dusk because they can't stand the noise.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:16 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
They have predators in Puerto Rico which eat the coqui so they don't have the same density of population. Their frogs are also smaller, they say about the size of a nickel or quarter. The coqui here get twice to three times that size, so I would expect they are louder, too. Higher density of population, louder per frog and we have foliage growing up close to our houses (frog habitat) where I understand in Puerto Rico, they keep it clear around the houses so the frogs are kept at a distance.

I suppose we could import tree snakes to eat the frogs and flatten all green growing things within fifty feet of our house. I'd much rather not have the frogs at all.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:57 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,520,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica from fl View Post
They have Coquis in Hawaii?? I thought they existed only in Puerto Rico! I can't believe people think they are a nuisance! I love the sounds of coquis... but maybe its because I only hear them when I'm on vacation in PR and not living there all the time. Now I understand why my family there doesnt seem as excited as I do when I hear them. But they sure are proud of them, every gift shop has coqui stuff!
* note to self: just found one more reason to love HI!!! ;-)
We have a cleared lot, very little vegetation next to the house, 5 feet of red cinder all around the foundation as well. We don't have many that bother to come close and we have eliminated any of those that tried. I don't mind them at a distance, but when they are right next to an open window.... they will die soon... I have also put some "lures" around a few of their favorite spots and check them every few days; again, eliminating any that try to stick around.

Lures are simply PVC Tees with a short, 6" extension on the bottom. They prefer PVC to bamboo.

Coqui

Old 09-13-2009, 09:40 PM

850 posts, read 4,366,023 times
we have 3 acres. doing the math, that means we have 30000 according to leilaniguy. that's a lot of froggies. they don't bother us, but can be loud which makes it difficult to watch the tv or talk on the phone.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:48 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
If it is difficult to watch the tv or talk on the phone then ipso facto, they are bothering you. It does sound as if you choose not to be overly concerned about the botherment at this time, though.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:21 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
We have a cleared lot, very little vegetation next to the house, 5 feet of red cinder all around the foundation as well. We don't have many that bother to come close and we have eliminated any of those that tried. I don't mind them at a distance, but when they are right next to an open window.... they will die soon... I have also put some "lures" around a few of their favorite spots and check them every few days; again, eliminating any that try to stick around.

Lures are simply PVC Tees with a short, 6" extension on the bottom. They prefer PVC to bamboo.

Coqui
So MD that pvc thing dose that kill the frogs? ad do you sink the down T into the ground?
My research has given me a natural frog aside with citrus spray that will kill the frogs at a certain time of year has anyone herd of this and dose it work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii