Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 07:00 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
The premiums you pay are much, much less than the full premium cost of a group plan and that is the point you keep missing. You want to pay nothing and get everything and it just doesn't work that way. You are under this delusion that people are paying these low, low premiums and that is all the plan costs. Sure, I only pay a few bucks a month, but the individual plan cost is over $600/month on our plan and over $2000/month for the family coverage....
The point that you keep missing is that many of the self employed people who have posted here over the years don't want everything. We want insurance to be there for the big things only such as hospitalizations, surgery, long term treatment for something like cancer, etc. I can't speak for everyone but I am happy with paying out of pocket for things like doctor's visits, physicals, blood work, prescriptions, etc. I only want insurance to cover the big things and would be happy with a $10,000 deductible for my family in exchange for a lower premium. You continue to ignore this point and claim that people want everything for nothing which is not true.

I would like to add that if buying insurance is required by law, everyone should have to pay at least something for it. Even if it's just $10 a month with a $200 premium, everyone should pay something. I'd also love for everyone to be pushed onto the individual market and do away with employer sponsored health insurance. Level the playing field and ensure that everyone has at least some skin in the game.

Last edited by MissTerri; 11-19-2016 at 07:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 07:19 AM

26,747 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
The premiums you pay are much, much less than the full premium cost of a group plan and that is the point you keep missing. You want to pay nothing and get everything and it just doesn't work that way.
Why do you not respond to what the poster is actually saying? She is well aware that she is not paying the full premium cost; she is self employed. No one has said that they "want to pay nothing" for health insurance.

Quote:
You are under this delusion that people are paying these low, low premiums and that is all the plan costs.
Under what delusion? Most of us are aware of what our neighbors, co-workers, friends, and extended family members pay for health insurance.

Quote:
That is because the employer pays for at least half of that cost for an employee. If you choose to be self-employed, that is part of the choice, but your plan is still less expensive than what the FULL cost of the group plan is.
You repeat this over and over, as if we cannot comprehend this.

Quote:
Like college tuition, the portion that employers contribute has decreased over the years as well.
This makes no sense.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:13 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,120,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Why do you not respond to what the poster is actually saying? She is well aware that she is not paying the full premium cost; she is self employed. No one has said that they "want to pay nothing" for health insurance.

Under what delusion? Most of us are aware of what our neighbors, co-workers, friends, and extended family members pay for health insurance.

You repeat this over and over, as if we cannot comprehend this.

This makes no sense.
You are the one that brought up the college tuition change and the reality with most of that change is that states have reduced the amount they fund, thus increasing the cost for the student, but the actual cost has not changed for decades when you factor in tuition to income ratio of college aged parents and overall price increases as a whole (inflation).

I keep repeated over and over because people DON"T comprehend---your own words "Exactly. Some of us are paying two and three times what those who are covered under an employer's policy pay." You are NOT paying 2 or 3 times what the FULL premium is, not even close

As for my comment about paying nothing for everything--go back and read the posts she has been posting for years.....

Old 11-19-2016, 08:22 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times
Quote:
As for my comment about paying nothing for everything--go back and read the posts she has been posting for years.....
Maybe you should go back and read them again because my post today is consistent with my posts over the years. You've been posting here for years so if you actually read my posts you would know that.

Last edited by MissTerri; 11-19-2016 at 08:37 AM..

Old 11-19-2016, 08:50 AM

7,948 posts, read 9,164,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Many years ago when my husband was doing IT consulting work, he decided to form his own corporation. He employed nobody but himself. Besides all the tax benefits to a "corporation", he was able to get Health Insurance rates as a corporation. I was never an employee of his corporation, and certainly our Minor children weren't, but we had health insurance from his corporation. I do not know all the legal in's and out's of this. There are fees involved to incorporate. Is this still available today? Perhaps many of the "self employed" should look into this option if still available. You might call it working the system. You don't have to be a billionaire like Donald Trump to work the system.

Edit: The Public School District I used to work for dropped their national health insurance company, and self-insured. They still do today in 2016 long after Obamacare. Preventive Care? Um, that was not only free to employees, but just about mandatory, or they would penalize you in your premiums. Major reason I quit. I don't like being told I am in "non-compliance" for anything health related. I like my Original Medicare. They leave me alone, unlike my former employer.
Under ACA laws, your husband with a business of 1 person would not be able to buy a corporate plan. The SHOP exchange is not available for sole practitioners. He would have to buy from the individual market.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
You are the one that brought up the college tuition change and the reality with most of that change is that states have reduced the amount they fund, thus increasing the cost for the student, but the actual cost has not changed for decades
Don't twist my words around. I brought up the fact that college tuition has increased astronomically. Private college tuition has nothing to do with what states fund, anyway. (And the actual cost HAS changed in decades.)

Quote:
I keep repeated over and over because people DON"T comprehend---your own words "Exactly. Some of us are paying two and three times what those who are covered under an employer's policy pay." You are NOT paying 2 or 3 times what the FULL premium is, not even close
We are not talking about the FULL premium. NO ONE pays the cost of the full premium. Why are you making a comparison with something that NO consumer pays?

Old 11-19-2016, 09:33 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,120,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Don't twist my words around. I brought up the fact that college tuition has increased astronomically. Private college tuition has nothing to do with what states fund, anyway. (And the actual cost HAS changed in decades.)

We are not talking about the FULL premium. NO ONE pays the cost of the full premium. Why are you making a comparison with something that NO consumer pays?
Again, the college cost, while big, are still in the same ratio of income to tuition as they were 30+ years ago, private school tuition, state school tuition is a bit higher because of the cut in funding from states

Why did you say you should pay the same as someone covered under an employer sponsored plan? I am simply answering YOUR statement. If you want to pay the $623.82 for a single person under our group plan, I'm sure we could work something out. I, however, as an employee, only pay $50 of that....or was it the $50 you thought you should pay with an ACA plan, maybe I'm not understanding you when you said:

"Exactly. Some of us are paying two and three times what those who are covered under an employer's policy pay."

Old 11-19-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Why did you say you should pay the same as someone covered under an employer sponsored plan?
Stop attributing statements to people that they never made. I said exactly what I meant, below, and you have quoted it.

Quote:
If you want to pay the $623.82 for a single person under our group plan, I'm sure we could work something out.
Thanks, but we already pay just under that per person.

Quote:
I, however, as an employee, only pay $50 of that....or was it the $50 you thought you should pay with an ACA plan
I have no idea what an ACA plan under our state exchange costs, and don't know why you are using this as a comparison.

Quote:
maybe I'm not understanding you when you said:
"Exactly. Some of us are paying two and three times what those who are covered under an employer's policy pay."
I said exactly what I meant. And we are.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:42 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Exactly, if you look at your insurance as a work expense vs a personal expense, you can have the same set up, not to mention that you get to write off your full premium amount.....so, you can have an employer plan where your "company" pays half or more of the premium and you pay the rest. So, if your premium for your family is $1200, your "company" pays $600, you pay $600, which is WAY less than a family plan at our company.....You also have the option of getting a group plan where you have more say in the deductible amounts, which has been suggested here over and over again, but then reality sets in that its way more expensive to do that....
To get a "group" plan you have to be a member of a group.

If you are self employed the "company" premium still comes out of your pocket. You are the "company". The value of the deduction will depend on how your business is configured, but the insurance will not be free.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:02 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Town View Post
Um, no. I dont want to Pay for your health care, nor do I want u to Pay for mine. Free market, survival of the fittest. I dont want my problem to be your problem and vice versa.
Survival of the fittest re health care? Sometimes we all have to give in a little bit and help others, not just selfishly throw them to the wolves. Health care is a necessity, not a luxury. It has to be there for everyone and everyone needs to pay into it. For those who are very low income, unemployed with no income, or elderly, it needs to be free or nearly free. Residents of civilized countries don't just leave the weaker ones out to die. Your attitude of not wanting to help anyone else would work in you lived alone on some island, not in an actual country where people are interdependent and interactive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance