Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 07:32 AM

3,116 posts, read 1,585,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hobbs View Post
I doubt that is true.
I doubt that too and I have explained why (but yes an additional explanation was after this).
Why would you think its not true about Medicare paying 80%? You can sign up for supplemental ins thru a private ins co like BCBS which will help with that remaining 20%. Its known as Mediplex where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 12:22 PM
JRR

8,244 posts, read 5,758,361 times
Kind of makes me wonder why the OP started this thread, as he apparently already knows all the answers.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:06 PM

278 posts, read 427,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Strongly suggest you contact your state SHIP people for guidance
I did. I did the following:A nice representative spent a lot of time to explain things and make phone calls and get me set up. I had already taken care of the basics. She said that I can keep Original Medicare and go to any doctor and clinic (that takes Medicare) and that I do not need to get a plan and that Medi-Cal will pay for Medicare and for the 20%. The one thing that I did not know is that I must select a plan for Part D but one has already been selected for me and Medi-Cal pays for it.

So all this about Advantage and such does not apply to me. And it is not true that I am responsible for the remaining 20%. I did not know how things worked but I was quite suspicious about anything saying I must pay. It does not make sense for that to apply to unemployed people and I was justified in questioning that.

And for anyone that says (there was a post that was quickly deleted) I did not say I was on Medi-Cal, no I did not but I did say I was unemployed.

Last edited by Sam Hobbs; 07-10-2019 at 06:41 PM..

Old 07-10-2019, 06:26 PM

1,500 posts, read 898,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hobbs View Post
I did. I did the following:A nice representative spent a lot of time to explain things and make phone calls and get me set up. I had already taken care of the basics. She said that I can keep Original Medicare and go to any doctor and clinic (that takes Medicare) and that I do not need to get a plan and that Medi-Cal will pay for Medicare and for the 20%. The one thing that I did not know is that I must select a plan for Part D but one has already been selected for me and Medi-Cal pays for it.

So all this about Advantage and such does not apply to me. And it is not true that I am responsible for the remaining 20%. I did not know how things worked but I was quite suspicious about anything saying I must pay. It does not make sense for that to apply to unemployed people and I was justified in questioning that.
That is the key ..MediCal is picking up the 20%,

You never mentioned MediCal before

You will have to further clarify your PartD tho...but MediCal should cover that as well

Old 07-10-2019, 07:08 PM

1,500 posts, read 898,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post

You will have to further clarify your PartD tho...but MediCal should cover that as well
BTW...you are actually Medi/Medi. Not every provider will take that

Old 07-10-2019, 09:31 PM

25,603 posts, read 56,675,208 times
Quote:
BTW...you are actually Medi/Medi. Not every provider will take that
This is correct.

MediCal is what California calls its state-sponsored Medicaid program which will pick up the 20% not paid by Medicare

https://www.google.com/search?q=what...nt=firefox-b-1

and provide subsidies for medication through the Part D plan OP was enrolled in.

In other words, OP is what is a called a dual-eligible - eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid. Not every Medicare recipient who is low-income also qualifies for Medicaid.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:

I said I was unemployed. That should be enough to at least want clarification.

Quote:
The Medicare representative did not say I need to do anything. Except she did say that I should ensure that the currently selected plan will cover the medications I am taking.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
MediCal is what California calls its state-sponsored Medicaid program which will pick up the 20% not paid by Medicare
I think I said that in my previous post but thank you for clarifying.

Quote:
In other words, OP is what is a called a dual-eligible - eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid. Not every Medicare recipient who is low-income also qualifies for Medicaid.
I could be wrong but it is my impression that anyone on Medical before getting Medicare will be in my situation. It is a matter of low income and low assets. The irony is that I will likely get the sinus surgery and it is also likely that I will then be employable but that did not happen until I was retirement age. I hope to finally be very productive and successful.

I will likely write software for website forums and my forums will provide better guidance about interpersonal communication than what exists here. This thread and others around here provide excellent justification for the need for such a thing.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:47 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,958,072 times
OP you are insufferable. These people are trying to help you and you have been far from clear.

Try working on your bedside manner.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
OP you are insufferable. These people are trying to help you and you have been far from clear.

Try working on your bedside manner.
Well, I won't repeat myself. The relevant people have heard the important stuff. They will insist upon having the last word, so have at it. Do not misinterpret silence as compliance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance