Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 01:18 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

I just had a blood test and ultrasound of the abdominal area due to elevated (alt)liver enzymes that were about twice the upper limit and an ast that was 3 points over the upper limit

the GI doctor's receptionist left a message for me to make an appt with the doctor based on the ultrasound results

i asked the receptionist to pls ask the doctor to give me an idea as to what was wrong in the ultrasound, for example anything serious like a tumor, cancer etc

she did and called me back telling me if it was something serious they would have already called me but they still would not tell me what the issue actually was

so i go next week

anyone have any idea what the issue could be?.

the doctor's initial guess was that i just have to reduce weight because he believes the liver is just fatty and affected by metabolic syndrome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 01:50 PM

523 posts, read 3,805,684 times
how old are you, do you have any other illnesses, are you taking any drugs, are you overweight, how much alcohol do you drink, are you getting any other symptoms, why were the blood tests done in the first place?

i could provide you with a whole list of causes of liver enzyme elevation, which you could just as easily google yourself. its really impossible to guess, based on the lack of information you provide.

the chances are it is something minor, but its obviously the right thing to get an ultrasound scan. hang in there, try not to worry about it, and im sure your doctor will put your mind at ease next week. remember, common things are common, and in this case, the more common causes of elevated liver enzymes are usually the more minor.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:30 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
Default 48, I'm taking

metformin, amaryl, lasix, potassium, diovan, baby aspirin, i was on paxil for 3 years but went off it to lose weight but ended up gaining, my triglycercides doubled, glucose went up, alt went up from being mildly elevated to twice the upper limit

doctor was some of the meds could be doing it

btw, do pancakes plain (or with diabetic syrup) in themselves sugary or fattening or can they increase triglycerides?

are the white chinese wontons in the soups (i always ask for no added salt) bad for diabetics? is it as bad as say pizza/calzone dough?

Old 07-17-2010, 07:30 AM

metformin, amaryl, diovan, aspirin and lasix can all, individually, cause a rise in liver enzymes.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:52 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
btw, do pancakes plain (or with diabetic syrup) in themselves sugary or fattening or can they increase triglycerides?

are the white chinese wontons in the soups (i always ask for no added salt) bad for diabetics? is it as bad as say pizza/calzone dough?
Yes.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:39 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
It was no more off topic than your rant, nor was it an 'attack' as you called it. In fact, the op used the word GUESS and I embellished it. Sometime the TRUTH hurts, especially when it goes against our preferences, beliefs, and biases. I stand firmly behind what I wrote. Looking at a situation from a different angle IS constructive, if one CHOOSES to see it as such.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:25 PM

medicine is guesswork, and there is no proven better way.

the doctor starts with a history & examination, all of which help them to arrive at a differential diagnosis, which may be a long or a short list, which is further filtered by additional investigations.

these are basic principles, based the individual doctor's past experiences, and knowledge which, for the most part, is derived from the results of scientific experiment, which, if done correctly, is not subjective. you can label it guesswork if you like, and there is nothing insulting about that...in it's simplest terms, thats what it is. but the guesswork is not misdirected or random, its educated guesswork, and when done well, it really is an art.

notwithstanding that, im really struggling to see what your point is, and how you are making a useful contribution to this thread. i agree, seeing things from different points of view is often constructive. but you fail to present a different point of view. you were whining (prefer that to 'attack'?) about doctors, medicine, and cost etc, which have no bearing on the OP's question whatsoever.

you present no hurtful truth, just misplaced, ill conceived grievance (which begs the question as to your motive for dismissing conventional medicine). that you choose to stand firmly behind it speaks volumes. regardless please do consider where the appropriate thread might be to regurgitate it, for it is not this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness