Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:37 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Flu shot is still filled with mercury perservative thimerosal. No way for me.
Yep, this is why I don't. I have heard there may be a cancer link here. This may be absolutely untrue- I don't know, but I no longer take a flu shot for this reason. Also, it didn't seem to make any difference. The years I took a flu shot, I got the flu. The past two I have not and I didn't ... so go figure.

Now for my very elderly mom, I think she should probably get one as she would have more risk if she developed a nasty respiratory infection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 10:46 AM

35 posts, read 54,920 times
I do not get one, and my children's pediatrician always tries to persuade me and my husband to get them. My feeling is, that I never get the flu, knock on wood. I had it maybe once or twice as a kid, so I feel pretty immune to it now. I just don't like getting needless shots.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:18 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Yep, this is why I don't. I have heard there may be a cancer link here. This may be absolutely untrue- I don't know, but I no longer take a flu shot for this reason.
Yep.
Actually even Dr. Bob SEars admits that flu shots still have thimerosal in them and he is in general pro-vaccinations.

Nobody in family ever had flu shots and never had flus. That's right. We are very careful in flu seasons. We do a lot of things to enhance immune system. Like taking alma berry that's filled with natural vitamin "C" . If I feel I'm coming down with something, some echinacea/garlic/acerola powder knocks that feeling right out of me.

On the other hand: my niece/nephews get flu shots every year. They don't get flues, however, they get so many other viruses. In fact they are sick every other week. That's because that very shot compromises your immune system in many other ways.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:19 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
I am sure that a person's state of mind can help his or her health, even if a placebo is involved.
I am just as sure that every school is a germ factory.
You can pick something up just pushing a grocery cart.
I used to be more complacent than I am now about how to stay healthy.
I am older and the stakes have changed.
We all know what we are *supposed* to do (wash hands, stay home when you're sick etc.)
Sooner or later we all get a virus, and my understanding is that you never get the same one twice.
It's just that some are nastier than others.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:32 PM

955 posts, read 3,648,230 times
ABSOLUTELY - working in a hospital I would never go without!! not to mention the crud that goes around at daycare! You can request a thimerosal free shot- jut fyi

Old 09-27-2007, 06:20 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
I try to get it when I can.

I'm not dead yet and I haven't gotten the flu in forever. Either way works for me.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:13 PM

175 posts, read 846,624 times
I used to get the flu every winter. However, since I have been getting the flu shot, 15 years now, I have had the flu only one time. Yes I will definitely get one this year.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:22 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
It is only recent that I have been getting the flu shot and have not since had a cold or flu. before that i had the flu and colds every year and ended up with bronchitis. due to getting bronchitis i have now developed asthma. i should have gone in for antibiotics the last time i had bronchitis and maybe i would not have contacted asthma, so the doctor says.

i have also read (somewhere in time) that juicing takes toxins out of the body, so maybe if I have ingested mercury from shots, juicing has helped remove it. i am not sure about this.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:25 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
I knew of a scientist that said that he never washed his hands because when you do you end up contacting diseases more easily. So I guess he only washed them when he bathed. I am not saying that he is correct or not, just that this was his belief. It sounds somewhat reasonable to me.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:00 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post
ABSOLUTELY - working in a hospital I would never go without!! not to mention the crud that goes around at daycare! You can request a thimerosal free shot- jut fyi
Always get it for the same reason, also to protect my son who is allergic to eggs and can not get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness