Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:34 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times

Advertisements

No.
I don't agree with getting a flu shot unless you work with a risk population. Being clean and washing your hands is a good idea. Some viruses are airborne and you may not be able to avoid them.

I believe I had the flu last December (I had other issues so I don't know). It lasted a few days, felt awful, still functioned and I moved on.

I try to live a healthy life...no smoking, little meat, no alcohol, a daily walk (especially now I am in Vermont).

I believe this is an individual's choice, but I am not so trusting of these panic mongers telling us the flu is coming we're all going to die...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 12:49 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
Default Can Flu Shots Really Protect Against The Flu?

I'm always interested in the viewpoint offered by newstarget.com because you just don't get this kind of information via mainstream media outlets. To me at least, the newstarget slant always seems more plausable than the boulderdash that you do get via mainstream media. Here's a link to an article about Flu Shots which was just posted today.

Personally, I choose to give no advice one way or the other. Do your own research, read the various viewpoints, then do whatever makes the most sense to you. I know that I'd never get another one. Once was enough! That one time was pretty much forced upon me ( I was in the Air Force ), and I didn't have access to information from a source like newstarget.com. If I'd have know better, I never would have done it the first time.

blessings...Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 10-19-2007 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: whoops spelling again!

Old 10-19-2007, 01:28 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
I work in healthcare; you bet I am getting my flu shot. I did go several years and not get the flu shot while working with patients; but the older I get and the more I fear getting sick; I just don't bounce back like I used to.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:18 AM

175 posts, read 846,624 times
Thank God for the flu shot.

I used to get deathly sick every winter from the flu. Then I started to take the flu shot and I haven't had the flu for 15 years.

The flu shot has my vote. I just got mine yesterday.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I have quoted some of the relevant quotes from this 44 post thread. I have worked in immunizations much of my 30+ yr carreer in nursing. I worked for the Denver Visiting Nurse Assn Flu Program for several years. Needless to say, I am a supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
NAY. The flu shot only addresses one strain of flu and there are dozens of possible strains. Besides, there are so many immune system fortifiers in good health food stores, you'd be better off taking one of them and strengthening your immune system rather than weakening it with the side effects of the shot -- especially since it isn't likely to prevent the flu that might be going around anyway. I have never taken a flu shot and never will.
The flu shot actually addresses three strains. A/Solomon Islands/3/2006 (H1N1)-like (new for this season), A/Wisconsin/67/2005 (H3N2)-like, and B/Malaysia/2506/2004-like viruses are the three for this season. In the northern hemisphere, we are at an advantage b/c the strains of flu start in the southern and eastern hemispheres. So, what Australia gets in their winter, we usually get in ours before it mutates again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Haven't had one in my adult years. Can't remember if I had them when I was a kid. I've never had the flu. I categorize the flu as a cold with a body aches, chills, fever and perhaps vomitting. I'm constantly washing my hands and I avoid touching doorknobs and handles while out in public.
Influenza is not the same as gastroenteritis. Influenza is a respiratory disease. Some people refer to everything they get as "flu", but there is really only the one influenza disease. High fever, cough, aches, some vomiting and diarrhea, mostly in kids. Flu is airborne; washing hands can be helpful, but it is mostly spread by coughing and sneezing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Flu shot is still filled with mercury perservative thimerosal. No way for me.
[quote=jessaka;1591312]I recently read that the flu shot no longer has mercury in it. Confused?[quote]

Thimerosol (mercury) free flu shots are available. The nasal spray vaccine does not have mercury in it either. No study has ever corroborated that mercury causes autism or any other neurological problems. Furthermore, it has been determined that the mercury in thimerosol does not accumulate in the body.

Thanks for those links, jessaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Yep, this is why I don't. I have heard there may be a cancer link here. This may be absolutely untrue- I don't know, but I no longer take a flu shot for this reason. Also, it didn't seem to make any difference. The years I took a flu shot, I got the flu. The past two I have not and I didn't ... so go figure.

Now for my very elderly mom, I think she should probably get one as she would have more risk if she developed a nasty respiratory infection.
Of all the things mercury has been implicated in, cancer is not one of them. If you got a vomiting/diarrhea disease with no respiratory symptoms, you did not get the flu. See above. If you had been exposed to influenza before you got the shot, you could still get the flu. It takes two weeks to develop complete immunity after receiving the shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I knew of a scientist that said that he never washed his hands because when you do you end up contacting diseases more easily. So I guess he only washed them when he bathed. I am not saying that he is correct or not, just that this was his belief. It sounds somewhat reasonable to me.
It goes against all scientific evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
No.
I don't agree with getting a flu shot unless you work with a risk population. Being clean and washing your hands is a good idea. Some viruses are airborne and you may not be able to avoid them.

I believe I had the flu last December (I had other issues so I don't know). It lasted a few days, felt awful, still functioned and I moved on.

I try to live a healthy life...no smoking, little meat, no alcohol, a daily walk (especially now I am in Vermont).

I believe this is an individual's choice, but I am not so trusting of these panic mongers telling us the flu is coming we're all going to die...
It is an individual choice. If you work around high-risk people, you should get a shot to protect them. There is some research that a big source of infection (flu) in nursing homes is the staff.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-20-2007 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-20-2007, 05:54 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,133 times
I got one two weeks ago, I have gotten one for many years now. Whether they do any real good I don't know. All I know is I am told people with diabetes should get them, and I went along with that.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:30 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
[quote=pittnurse70;1785434]I recently read that the flu shot no longer has mercury in it. Confused?[quote]

Quote:
Thimerosol (mercury) free flu shots are available. The nasal spray vaccine does not have mercury in it either. No study has ever corroborated that mercury causes autism or any other neurological problems. Furthermore, it has been determined that the mercury in thimerosol does not accumulate in the body.
Uh-hum, even if it doesn't have thimerosal, lets list all other "great" ingredients it has.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:06 PM

The reason I don't post much on this health forum is that it's a no-win situation. You (I) can't convince someone who is certain vaccines are harmful that they're not. I can tell you my daughter got the flu when she was nine; it turned in to pneumonia and she was almost hospitalized for dehydration. She says to this day (now 20) that ANY shot would be better than having the flu.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:43 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
pittnurse70 wrote:
The reason I don't post much on this health forum is that it's a no-win situation. You (I) can't convince someone who is certain vaccines are harmful that they're not.

You might have a more expansive sense of winning if you make no attempt to CONVINCE anyone about anthing when you make a post. Just look at it as an opportunity to share your opinion. The winning comes from putting it out there. From reading many of your posts, you obviously posses the wisdom and experience to know that people will believe and do whatever they want to anyway.... no matter what anyone says to the contrary.

blessings...Franco

Old 10-21-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
pittnurse70 wrote:
The reason I don't post much on this health forum is that it's a no-win situation. You (I) can't convince someone who is certain vaccines are harmful that they're not.

You might have a more expansive sense of winning if you make no attempt to CONVINCE anyone about anthing when you make a post. Just look at it as an opportunity to share your opinion. The winning comes from putting it out there. From reading many of your posts, you obviously posses the wisdom and experience to know that people will believe and do whatever they want to anyway.... no matter what anyone says to the contrary.

blessings...Franco
Good grief! It's just an expression! Though you are correct about not being able to convince anyone of anything. If you will look at my original post on this subject, I did say it's an individual choice.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-21-2007 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness