Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 01:20 AM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times

Advertisements

It's a nurse practitioner. There are many nursing degrees, some are advanced without being an NP. My husband goes to one clinic and in the past he sometimes saw the NP in that office. She eventually retired, but she was excellent at what she did and we preferred her to the doctors. But I agree...no exam and no urine test in that case would be totally unprofessional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 04:34 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
I have had nothing but good experiences with NP's and PA's. They have all been professional and competent, giving me a thorough examination with correct diagnoses and prescriptions. In fact, the first time I was ever told about antibiotics and BC pills was by a PA. I was 29. Obviously I already knew the info, but no DR ever bothered to mention it. Just something I found interesting...

Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
If your primary care provider isn't doing this at your office visit, I would suggest you change who you go to for your health care.
You think if you're on Medicare, you can just start going to a different doctor?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:47 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
Thanks JanND. I did file a complaint and had the opportunity to speak with her supervising doctor during my appointment. Hopefully she'll just be reminded that she needs to consult with him before she prescribes medicine to patients without first testing or diagnosing them. But yeah, I'll see the doctor first next time even if I have to wait. I'm glad to hear that you've had positive experiences with nurses. I was wrong to throw the whole nursing profession under the bus with this rant thread as there are good nurses out there.
You keep talking about a "supervising doctor". Unlike the Physician's Assistant.. who works under direct supervision of a MD and works under a MD license, NP's work independently on their own nursing license and can directly/ independently bill Medicare.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:20 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
You keep talking about a "supervising doctor". Unlike the Physician's Assistant.. who works under direct supervision of a MD and works under a MD license, NP's work independently on their own nursing license and can directly/ independently bill Medicare.
It depends on the state. About 32 states do require physician supervision.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:22 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
"collaboration"

Old 01-24-2013, 01:29 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You think if you're on Medicare, you can just start going to a different doctor?
Actually, you can, but your comments weren't in reference to that. Your comments referred to what you deemed "unnecesary procedures" in the ER, where you and your entire health history are basically unknown. Had your personal MD called or met you at the ER, those tests might have been avoided. You be sweet and stay healthy!

Old 01-24-2013, 06:03 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
agreed, many states require supervision. I used to verify this information in a previous auditing job. It's amazing how many offices/clinics don't have a good system to keep track of their licensed staff.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:51 PM

56 posts, read 185,296 times
After reading this thread, and a few others, I have to say that I am quite surprised of the polarized opinions about the quality of healthcare that mid-level practioners provide. I am not sure if those of you who feel negatively have just encountered a few bad apples or if PA's/NP's are truly incompetent healthcare providers.

I am currently on the path to becoming a PA. I only need to complete a few more pre-req classes and then I can begin the application process. However, the views and opinions in this thread and others are quite troubling and somewhat off-putting. I wouldn't want to immediately be sized up the moment I walk into an exam room because I am a PA, not a MD. I think some of the best medical practitioners of whatever level, or just smart people in general, know what they don't know...and I would be happy to see that my NP/PA is seeking the advice of their supervising MD rather than making an "educated guess."

Anyhow, I just needed to say my piece...I hope I am making the right career decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness