Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 09:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,155,634 times

Advertisements

Do glasses really help with night driving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 10:07 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,580,413 times
I'm one that needed glasses most of my life, but refused to wear them. At 14 I got contacts and they worked for me into my fifties. I finally got my first pair of glasses that I wear fulltime, and hallelujia, I can see better than ever. I now love my glasses and love not fooling with contacs ever again.
I do believe they help me with the glare of headlights at night.

Last edited by claudhopper; 03-30-2013 at 10:46 AM..

Old 03-30-2013, 12:35 PM

207 posts, read 566,576 times
I always had excellent eyesight. Then I worked behind a computer screen all day and finally broke down and started wearing reading glasses. Honestly I was too vain for many years and would not want to be seen in reading glasses (thought they were for older people). I started a new job and decided that I would just start wearing them since I was new and they did help. (I was around 47)

I don't know if wearing the reading glasses (cheap drug store ones) have hurt my eyes but after about 10 years of them now I can't see a thing without them. But that's only for close up. I still see fine at a distance.

I guess you just have to decide...do you want to see or not

Old 03-30-2013, 01:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,155,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcin View Post
I guess you just have to decide...do you want to see or not
That's a really hard question!

Old 03-30-2013, 03:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfour View Post
This question is for those of you that had good eyesight most of your life, but then needed glasses as you reached your 40's or 50's. Do you wish you had done it sooner? How was your eyesight deteriorating, (reading, long distances, etc. going down hill)

Here's why I ask. All my life, I've had about 20/15 vision. In my late 40's now, and definitely need readers to look at the computer or any reading material. Have noticed that driving down the highway, or seeing long distances, things are not as crisp as they used to be.

Even though my general practitioner said I had 20/20 on the eye chart. I know, he's not an eye doctor.

Hoping that if/when I get glasses, that I'll be thrilled with what finally see clearly again. And do you think that deteriorating eyesight can cause any type of anxiety or depression or unhappiness (subconsciously).

Thanks for any of your insight.
It happened pretty fast for me. I had worn glasses as a child because I was very crossed eyed, even after 3 operations. I don't think my eye sight was bad, but remember this was before the dinasours were on earth. Anyway, finally, as I started college I realized glasses were not what I needed. Also the operations had worked pretty well and most of the time people could tell who I was looking at. Anyway, when I was in my very early 40s, I was having phyical theorpy and spent about 20 minutes, 3 times a week, on my back. I would read while I lay there. That is when I realized, my stretched out arms put the magazine or book further from my face and I could read the fine print>>>It was time to visit the nice doctor that could test me for middle age eye problems. I adjusted, I did do the contact thing off and on for years. Now I just wear the glasses for reading, forget the contacts and don't let it bother me.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:36 PM

50,959 posts, read 36,657,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfour View Post
This question is for those of you that had good eyesight most of your life, but then needed glasses as you reached your 40's or 50's. Do you wish you had done it sooner? How was your eyesight deteriorating, (reading, long distances, etc. going down hill)

Here's why I ask. All my life, I've had about 20/15 vision. In my late 40's now, and definitely need readers to look at the computer or any reading material. Have noticed that driving down the highway, or seeing long distances, things are not as crisp as they used to be.

Even though my general practitioner said I had 20/20 on the eye chart. I know, he's not an eye doctor.

Hoping that if/when I get glasses, that I'll be thrilled with what finally see clearly again. And do you think that deteriorating eyesight can cause any type of anxiety or depression or unhappiness (subconsciously).

Thanks for any of your insight.
I always had perfect vision, and yes, it bugs me that now I need reading glasses. Actually it's getting worse than just that, as I can no longer read street signs at night when I'm driving, can't see the little scoreboard when I watch football on TV, and the headlights of other cars bother me a great deal. When I first got the reading glasses, I tried not to wear them too much as I was afraid they'd make my eyes weaker, but they are getting weaker anyway. I started with 1.00 and now up to 2.00. Last weekend my bf took me to dinner, very romantic and dimly lit....and even with my 2.00's I couldn't read the menu in the dim light! I had to take my menu over to the window, lol. It bothers me more than any other sign of aging, as I hate feeling helpless without the glasses. I once bought a top that was $75 because without my glasses I thought it said $15! I always think of the Twilight Zone with Burgess Meredith, who was delighted to find that the NYC public library survived the nuclear blast, until he broke his glasses.

I take Lutein now, but not sure if it does anything. In any case, it sucks yes, but getting older is better than the alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness