Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 03:39 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,583,499 times

Advertisements

This question is for those of you that had good eyesight most of your life, but then needed glasses as you reached your 40's or 50's. Do you wish you had done it sooner? How was your eyesight deteriorating, (reading, long distances, etc. going down hill)

Here's why I ask. All my life, I've had about 20/15 vision. In my late 40's now, and definitely need readers to look at the computer or any reading material. Have noticed that driving down the highway, or seeing long distances, things are not as crisp as they used to be.

Even though my general practitioner said I had 20/20 on the eye chart. I know, he's not an eye doctor.

Hoping that if/when I get glasses, that I'll be thrilled with what finally see clearly again. And do you think that deteriorating eyesight can cause any type of anxiety or depression or unhappiness (subconsciously).

Thanks for any of your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 03:54 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,310 times
I had 20/20 vision until I was 35 or so. Then I wore glasses just for driving (seemed worse at night). And from 45 on, I've worn trifocals, but they're seamless. They're for distance, computer, and close-up work. Since my prescription isn't that strong, I do take them off from time to time.

As for depression, I think the changes in vision are just another reminder that I'm getting older. If I'm in the kitchen and want to microwave something, but I left my glasses in the LR, I really can't ready the directions on the box. Just frustrating, but in a minor way. If you're not seeing clearly now, yes, that CAN cause stress. It can also tire you out, since you're working extra hard just to see (the road, the book, etc.)

If you haven't been to an ophthalmologist, you should go. They'll check your vision, but also the health of your eyes (which can indicate health problems elsewhere in the body). If you need glasses, ask them for the written prescription. Then you can buy them from anywhere.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
I started wearing "cheaters" just before I turned 50. Prior to that I had 20/20 vision, with a very brief episode with astigmatism when I was a kid, which corrected itself within a couple of years.

The only thing I don't like about them, is that they're cheap, and therefore not very comfortable to wear. They leave a banded depression at the bridge of my nose where they rest.

I don't squint anymore. I don't have to hold the book at arm's length to read it anymore.

I have noticed, however, that I'm starting to squint when I'm reading street signs when I'm driving, and it looks like I'm on my way to needing prescription lenses afterall. But at the moment, I'm okay with my 1.25x dollar-store plastic crappy glasses.

I have occasional twinges of deep momentary sadness and anxiety over this. But that's because I'm already hearing impaired, and the idea of some day being deaf AND blind is very scary. Or almost as bad - having to have cataract surgery some day. I have a major phobia about other people getting too close to my eyes, and this surgery requires you to be conscious. I don't think I'd be able to endure it.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:18 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Not really "conscious" as they use conscious sedation. I remember ZERO details from my first cataract surgery and a fragment of light from the second one. I could not have reacted to that light if I tried to.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-29-2013 at 08:27 PM..

Old 03-29-2013, 08:00 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
My doctor told me that it is never good to need glasses and not get them or get only reading glasses when you need glasses full-time. He said straining your eyes to see is never good. Go to an eye docotr and see how your eyes really are and get glasses if you need them. Having reading glasses and then having trouble seeing far off as well probably means you need glasses, period.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I had 20/15 my entire life. My vision is still fantastic at distances.

Reading is a different story. I can usually still read anything in bright sunlight, but indoors away from a window requires reading glasses or cheaters. My husband is the same way.

We have cheaters all over the house and a few in each vehicle, but we somehow find ourselves without them for menus at restaurants. It's a hassle.

We talk about getting bifocals but we're not ready since we don't need them for seeing far away. My night vision is terrible if it's raining and glasses won't fix that.

If you're having trouble with reading and also can't see clearly at distances, it's time for bifocals. I do think you'll be thrilled to see clearly again. I remember getting my first husband glasses for his birthday when we were 21. We were driving home and he kept saying, "Wow!" He was amazed he could see leaves on trees. I was amazed to discover he never could see leaves on trees.

I don't think fading eyesight has anything to do with anxiety, depression, or unhappiness.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:01 AM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
When I was 45 I got tired of not being able to read street signs in the daytime very clearly, and book reading was giving me a headache. So I decided to go to an opthamologist, not an optician, and he did a thorough exam and said I was an immediate candidate for bi-focals. 2 weeks later with my new glasses I kept saying "why didn't I do this a long time ago". What a tremendous difference in clarity.
The doc said that the average persons eyesight starts to deteriorate very slowly as they move into their late 30's early 40's.
Now a few years alter I have developed cataracts and someday in the near future will need catarct surgery.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:04 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
I have had terrible distance vision since childhood. When I went to college I got contacts and never "looked back." Wore them from the time I woke to the time I went to bed. I didn't have any trouble with close vision until I was about 50. My ophthalmologist told me that if I wanted to keep my contacts in all day to just go and buy a pair of readers at a drug or department store (Barnes and Noble sells them, too). I started out with +1 magnification and eventually would realize I needed more help so I would move up and keep my lower number for viewing the computer screen. I had cataract surgery recently and since there was no lens that could fix my distance vision (I would still need glasses or contacts), the surgeon decided to put in a lens that would fix my close-up vision. I can now use a computer and read the tiniest printed word without my cheaters, just as I could when I was young. I just have distance eye glasses now that I take off when I read or work on the computer. I'm very happy with the results.

Just go to the doctor. S/he will fix you up. I think rather than making you depressed, not being able to see interferes with practicalities of your life.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:20 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
I am 42 and got glasses 5 years ago. I couldn't see so well driving at night and watching TV was a bit blurry. At the time I only needed them for distance, 2 years ago I got a stronger script and now I wear them all the time. It's no big deal to me. It is what it is.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:23 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Age 52. I need glasses for reading smaller print or for reading signs in grocery stores or projected powerpoint slides and also for night driving. Don't need them for computers. I use cheaters for reading books in bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness