Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 04:14 PM

7 posts, read 25,510 times

Advertisements

Hi this is my first post I originally posted in wrong section....and I'm posting as I am worried. I had high ALT 2 weeks ago due to being on lymocycline antibiotics for the past year, the ALT was 196. My bloods were done again last Wednesday (11th July) and are now back to normal (I came off antibiotics, had milk thistle) my question is can I now live my life notmally? When can I drink again? I'm not a big drinker but have a wedding coming up and would like to drink. I am really into keep fit and bodybuilding.

Can anyone help?? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 04:28 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
You should speak to your doctor. I'm pretty paranoid about my liver, so I try not to drink too much. A healthy liver can re-grow itself. If you want to see whether or not your liver actually has any damage, how about getting an ultrasound or other diagnostic test? I understand the liver enzyme tests are not 100% reliable.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:32 PM

Thanks for your reply I can count on one hand the amount of times I have drunk in the past year, I just want to know if I want a night out or if I want to celebrate a special occasion, then can I? Considering the high ALT is purely down to antibiotics I thought this would be ok. My doctor says I can return back to normal but seems rather blasé about the whole thing and doesn't seem concerned at all, but after researching myself online it made me paranoid too

Old 07-16-2013, 04:44 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,787,190 times
after a bout a few years back with her liver enzymes being too high, my mom worked with her internist and her family doc to try to uncover the reasons. Never determined exact cause but she immediately began to follow her internist's advice and still does and she's been A-OK

He said:
Never drink alcohol again. Ever. Not even a glass of wine.
Never take Tylenol.
Never take Milk Thistle or any of the many "natural" things your friends will tell you to take,

Old 07-16-2013, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the response, I'm only 25 and enjoy a drink every now and again so hopeful I don't have to take that sort of action. I understand health comes first but I already follow a really healthy lifestyle and have a hectic job, so I like to let off some steam on the odd occasion.

Im surprised at how unconcerned my doctor is compared to your mums doctor, but I suppose each case is different.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:26 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,787,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny80 View Post
Thanks for the response, I'm only 25 and enjoy a drink every now and again so hopeful I don't have to take that sort of action. I understand health comes first but I already follow a really healthy lifestyle and have a hectic job, so I like to let off some steam on the odd occasion.

Im surprised at how unconcerned my doctor is compared to your mums doctor, but I suppose each case is different.
my mom was a very only occasional drinker.
Please protect your liver, and that includes medications that filter through your liver

Old 07-16-2013, 06:42 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Jonny80: As I already replied to your post in another forum: you should ask your doctor about it. He knows you better, and he can give you the most correct answer.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:34 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,086,761 times
Researching online can make anyone paranoid. If your doctor gave you the green light to occasionally enjoy a drink or two, then go for it! Just be reasonable.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Researching online can make anyone paranoid. If your doctor gave you the green light to occasionally enjoy a drink or two, then go for it! Just be reasonable.
Your advise is better than most we have gotten on the subject. My liver enzymes were slightly off when I had my check up about 6 months ago. I talked to our doctor seriously about this because I do enjoy a couple of glasses of wine each day and am on cholesterol reducing drugs. She did not even suggest me stop drinking, she did say try and stay away from anything with Tylenol in it and cut back on the wine, plus she reduced my med because my cholesterol reading was very good. Of course it depends on how high the enzyme reading was I am sure. Mine was barely above normal. It does back and forth. I am a firm believer of talking all these things over with your doctor and not paying too much attention to the advise we all love to dish out on these treads. Much of what advise we are given has to do with our particular doctors opinions and life style.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:55 PM

Just to update for anyone else with a similar issue...I went on vs action a week or so after I posted , drank every night and was completely fine, my liver enzymes have been normal since, christina0001 gave a common sense answer, which I appreciated rather than the scare monger replies that unreasonably made me feel like a alcoholic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness