Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 04:45 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times

Advertisements

thanks I did songinthewind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 04:42 PM

76 posts, read 265,300 times
this is not medical advice, but...
first.. stress can be a huge drain on the body. IT IS NOT NORMAL to feel that run down as you get into your 40's. lets not confuse normal with common.... it is common though.
some of the things that happen that can cause your body to run out of steam:
high oxidation levels
inflammation
adrenal fatigue
dysbiosis or leaky gut syndrome
dehyrdration
electrolyte imbalance
improper nutrition
vitamin b12 def due to weak intrinsic factor (common as we age)
thats all i can think of off the top of my head, but i am sure there are more...
as you can see.. there are many things to look at before going to meds or just chalking it up to being normal.
there were some good suggestions for supplements... but my feeling is...
first, find out what is functioning the way it should, and why... and then supplement to correct the problem.
my website has more info on it, but is a work in progress

Old 01-10-2008, 11:00 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
A big one not mentioned, Drrick, is lack of hormone balance in menopausal females. I don't really want to take them orally so use the creams and a herbal concoction, which certainly seems to help. Alse use a precursor, DHEA in small amounts. I know I need to detox and lose some weight, would probably help alot. Do take anti-oxidants and quite a few other supplements, but still have a significant energy loss that I did not have just a few years ago. I hear this as a complaint all the time, so one has to wonder about lack of hormones being a significant part of fatigue.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
A big one not mentioned, Drrick, is lack of hormone balance in menopausal females. I don't really want to take them orally so use the creams and a herbal concoction, which certainly seems to help. Alse use a precursor, DHEA in small amounts. I know I need to detox and lose some weight, would probably help alot. Do take anti-oxidants and quite a few other supplements, but still have a significant energy loss that I did not have just a few years ago. I hear this as a complaint all the time, so one has to wonder about lack of hormones being a significant part of fatigue.
yes, i hear ya... but you have to remember that in many cases hormones being out of balance may be the branch, rather than the root of the problem. i have treated many people with hot flashes, or lack of energy, simply wiht 4-6 needles. the difference was so noticable their spouse commented on it! so while i agree.. hormone imbalances may be part, i tend to think they are not, (well not usually) the root cause. many doctors are quick to suggest HRT for many things, but why is it there are people living to 100+ with plenty of energy, and no pills? it goes back to balance. I do not deal much with hormones (partly because its not my field), but i do use a metabolic test to determine what biological functions may be out of balance to cause fatigue. even if hormones are needed.. with out correcting the underlying imbalances, the results will be less than you hoped. get to the underlying cause.
the tests are not expensive, they are non invasive, and in some cases, you do not even need to go to the doctor's office...(we use a lab and have you send it to the lab from home),there are no side effects, and can help you make better food choices, lifestyle mods, and supplement choices.
keep working at it, and work with your doctor, or find some health care pratitioner(thats what i do) to work with you to uncover the root cause instead of just treating the branch... i am sure you will get better results that way.
hope that helps..

Old 01-16-2008, 12:53 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
Well, thanks, but don't need another doctor. I have my own regimen. I can improve on diet and exercise as well, and when I do, feel much better. Just Ole Lady Syndrome coming on!!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:58 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,969 times
My Dad, who turned 73 in December, takes Knox plain gelatin every day... I don't know the actual amount but I believe he mixes it in his orange juice... he has no aches or pains in his joints and I know his history, a carpenter... that is a tough one on the joints for sure. Just thought I'd throw this one out there...

Old 01-16-2008, 06:11 PM

242 posts, read 613,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
My Dad, who turned 73 in December, takes Knox plain gelatin every day... I don't know the actual amount but I believe he mixes it in his orange juice... he has no aches or pains in his joints and I know his history, a carpenter... that is a tough one on the joints for sure. Just thought I'd throw this one out there...
Hmmm. I wonder if I can get my dad to try that out. He's about the same age, been a cement finisher all his life and that's taken a toll on his knees. I live in Florida and he's still up in IL so I don't know if he's still having trouble with pain since he's been retired. But if so...

Old 01-17-2008, 09:39 AM

keep in mind... these aches and pains are telling you something is wrong. or .. more specifically.. that you are doing something wrong.
i know many people just think its part of aging, but there is enough evidence to prove its actually part of an imbalance.
i like Dr. Gary Null's some what more harsh saying.. but its gets the point across: "your pain or imbalance is your reward for doing what you have been doing"... meaning there is always a reward or a payment for any regiment. do not accept it as "just age"... you can do something about it.
i think the jello tip was good.. it helps nourish the joints. i would look into some other supplements as well though... since a lack in vit C can inhibit your body's ability to repair... and food allergies (we all have them) that cause slight inflammation can cause the joints to weaken... these are very common.
another quote by Dr Null: "get on a program and give it 100%. its a lot like jumping a canyon. if you only give it 50% or 90% you end up in the same place... give it 100% and you will get to the other side."
A local doctor here in florida told me he needed knee replacement... the cartilage in his knee was completely gone! as we all know, that can't be grown back... but 35 yrs later, he still has not had the replacement and the cartilage did grow back. he had an undiagnosed allergy to several common foods. once that was discovered, and removed... the pain was almost gone with in 6 months. now at the age of 65 he skis every winter and has no pain.
look to see where the imbalance is... i think you will get better results, and will improve in other areas as well.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:57 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
My grandmother lived into her late 90's, essentially healthy & active until the day she died. When I aksed her the secret of her longevity, she replied, avoid doctors as much as possible.

As she got older, she had her share of aches and pains, but she refused the regular check-ups. She said, of course they're gonna find something wrong. When you go looking for something wrong you'll always find something. They'll always give you something to worry about.

It worked for her and it seems to be working for me too.

blessings...Franco
My grandmother wouldn't go to doctors either. She said she took her own grandmother's advice: If you don't feel well, put your head under the covers until you feel better...

Old 01-18-2008, 08:25 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
Quote:
My grandmother wouldn't go to doctors either. She said she took her own grandmother's advice: If you don't feel well, put your head under the covers until you feel better...
lol. I have often heard people say that that is why they lived to be old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness