Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 01:00 PM

23,014 posts, read 34,376,254 times

Advertisements

I suggest drink a LOT of water, not drinking enough can make you tired and take at least 500mg of vitaman B12. And you are NOT old
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 01:09 PM

22,154 posts, read 19,210,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I've eaten half a box of See's chocolates in the last few days and bitten into the other half to see what's inside. (They are my chocolates, so I can do this.)

These are my only "medications."
Sweets can absolutely sap a person's energy. There was a point in my life my system was so out of whack that I would eat an oreo cookie or a single Reese's Cup, and literally have to sleep for 3 hours. Ironically the healthier I got, the less tolerance I had for caffeine and sugars, a little went a loooooooong way. Sounds like your caffeine is under control, but the sweets could be taking a bite out of your energy level. Use yourself as an experiment, go a few weeks with no sweets and see how your body responds.

I don't believe age has to cause a person to automatically run down and feel pain and do less. The older people I've known who remain active and vibrant and physically flexible are the ones who refused to "believe" age means pain and getting decrepit. Conversely the ones who believe "I'm getting old" allow themselves to stop moving, stiffen up, slow down, and age incredibly fast including disease. My own personal observation and beliefs.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:36 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
What medications do I take?
OMG. Does everyone take medications nowadays? That is a scary question.
Yeah.... i thought the same thing you did Greenie

Old 12-12-2007, 01:51 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,245 times
I don't take any meds in my old age, except occasional advil. I DO take alot of supplements. Some which I have noticed help with joints and energy: SAM-e, MSM/glucosamine, DHEA and just added B12 1000mcg. Also use a protein shake in the a.m. with fiber, fruit and spirulina (energy).

Old 12-12-2007, 02:36 PM

919 posts, read 3,184,263 times
I am 43...I have hypothyroidism, Arthithis, Anemia, PanicAttacks, Diabeties, Asthma...and i feel cause of this..it drains me at the end of the day...I am on some meds and the rest is controlled by diet and excercise...I sometimes feel so sore, so tired by 8pm I am in bed till the next day...I been to the dr, was told it was old age and to expect it. I hate to see how I will feel in 30 years from now, if I am alive that is.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:57 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,349,343 times
Drinking water is a great idea. It does give one energy.

I was told that I had hypothyroidism, but I took steps to correct it and hope I did. The last test was normal anyway. Anemia you can beat with vitamins/minerals. I have mild asthma, and I refuse to use inhalers but am using healthy methods to try to cure it. Hypothroidism can wear you out, which is why I began using coconut oil, iodine and staying away from soy products. I used to get anxiety attacks but cured them with chamomile tea or something else that was in a cold remedy tea that had chamomile in it.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:03 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,349,343 times
Some people can learn to ignore pains by mental effort. Probably years of training. Perhaps it is also done through hypnosis. I wrote you a DM GreenMachine.

Another thing that makes a person tired is stress. If I have had a stressful day I get tired quick. Also, if I go out in the cold or wind I get tired. I don't work so I don't have very many stressful days. Well, I did for a while when I was doing a lot of volunteer work, but it was more imagined stress, such as "I have so many things to do; I am too busy." Then I learned to love the volunteer work.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:30 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,339,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
I am 43...I have hypothyroidism, Arthithis, Anemia, PanicAttacks, Diabeties, Asthma...and i feel cause of this..it drains me at the end of the day...I am on some meds and the rest is controlled by diet and excercise...I sometimes feel so sore, so tired by 8pm I am in bed till the next day...I been to the dr, was told it was old age and to expect it. I hate to see how I will feel in 30 years from now, if I am alive that is.
You need to get off the meds and find a new doctor. Any doctor that tells you it's old age and to expect it has been smoking too much crack.
You're way too young to be spending so much time in bed and pain.

Last edited by songinthewind7; 12-12-2007 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-12-2007, 03:45 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
You need to get off the meds and find a new doctor. Any doctor that tells you it's old age and to expect it has been smoking too much crack.
You're way too young to be spending so much time in bed and pain.
I agree with you Songinthewind.....as i'm her age at 43 and yet my energy levels are thriving and i do not have Arthritis or Type 2 diabetes or Panic Attacks.

I really beleive in what Jack LaLane does as he's 94 and exercises up to 2 hours daily keeps him energetic and young feeling. When asked about going to doctors he said forget it as they would have killed him by now...lol...Also interesting he says he never eats organic and he eats tons of fruits and vege's as he said you can't prove how organic a food is or not (his words not mine) but still its great to see a 94 y/o man who can still do 500 pushups....

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 12-12-2007 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Correction

Old 12-12-2007, 04:10 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,994,804 times
My grandmother lived into her late 90's, essentially healthy & active until the day she died. When I aksed her the secret of her longevity, she replied, avoid doctors as much as possible.

As she got older, she had her share of aches and pains, but she refused the regular check-ups. She said, of course they're gonna find something wrong. When you go looking for something wrong you'll always find something. They'll always give you something to worry about.

It worked for her and it seems to be working for me too.

blessings...Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness