Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 07:46 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Oh I understand what you're saying, Jessaka and Pinkstring and I'm not suggesting that everyone who posted was rude. I just think there are better ways to get the point across then to say someone is a stinky, filthy human being.
When my ability to breathe and stay conscious (I often pass out from the smell of smoke) are impeded upon because someone feels the need to smoke, then yes, I truly feel they are stinky, filthy human beings. Even if a person is not smoking around me but their clothes smell like smoke, my chest closes up and I can't breathe. I had to walk out of a college final 2 weeks ago because the guy next to me just *had* to get his cig in before the test. I ran out of the room coughing with tears streaming down my face because I couldn't breathe.

If you won't quit for yourself, quit for the people around you- even the people you don't know. The numerous people out there who are very sensitive to cigarette smoke like I am will thank you.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:57 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
Great post YumYum. I would rep you for it but can't right now.

Here is a book that has helped others:

The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr

Old 01-02-2008, 05:39 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Depending on how much a person smokes will depend on just how disgusting it can be. What do I mean? I was a "light" smoker for about 10 years. I smoked about a pack and half a week......yes, that's all. I never once bought a carton of cigarettes (only by the pack). I had smokers tell me "don't call yourself a smoker if that is all you smoke! I can smoke that much in one morning!". So, I really didn't have "smokers breath" or the smell of smoke on my clothes or in my vehicle. However, I have been "near" some people who obviously smoked a whole lot more than a pack and half a week. Just walking by them I could smell smoke, if they said "hi" to me, I could smell smoke. And, another "tell-tale" sign about medium-to-heavy smokers, there is smoke residue on the windows of their vehicle.
Now, look at this: I smoked cigarettes (at one time), smoked little cigars (at one time), I smoked a pipe (at one time) and I "chewed/dipped" RedMan and Skoal (at one time)..........and STOPPED. How? In 2003 the only thing I was using was Skoal, but noticed that it was irratting the inside part of my lower lip and upsetting my stomach at times. So, I stopped that.
If you have the patience and "will-power" to quit smoking......DO IT!!

Old 01-02-2008, 09:45 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziSu View Post
Smoking is gross, tell me why!
Smokers smell. Nobody likes the smell of a smoker.
Smokers' teeth are disgusting and yellow.
Smokers are always hacking and coughing. Not attractive.
Smoking is expensive. Think of all you could do with that extra money.

Cancer is not on the list of easy ways to die.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:30 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziSu View Post
Please reply with all things disgusting about smoking to remind me why I'm quitting. Thanks for all your help.... and remember! Smoking is gross, tell me why!
Well, SuziSu its day two of the new year and I hope your campaing to stop smoking is going well. Here are a few more reasons to quit:

If you are single, expect to stay single because most guys hate women who smoke.

Think of your health. You said you only have one working kidney, so you should be doubly dedicated to quitting smoking.

If you are currently out of shape (overweight, unable to walk a flight of stairs without feeling exausted) it will be especially tough for your to commit, dedicate yourself and succeed in getting fit if you continue to smoke.

Smoking causes lung cancer and if youve ever seen anyone suffer and slowly waste away from lung cancer you know that smoking kills.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,712 times
Good Luck on quitting!

My.02...is that smoking is bad for your health and others as well. I am not rude to people who smoke because about 90% of my family smokes excluding me, my younger relatives and my grandfather. I know what it can feel like for those who smoke to be around rude non-smoker who like YUMYUM has stated exaggerate their hand waving. Anyway my mom is 43 and has COPD and is over weight and my grandmother has cancer of the mouth. They are both on Chantix to help them stop smoking.

When I was younger the kids on the bus used to tease me because I smelled like smoke. No matter how much I washed my clothes or took baths..washed my hair...it was still there and I have never smoked anything a day in my life! It is because smoke sticks to everything. I remember helping wash our white walls because at the end of the year they would be a yellowish cream color. My moms wallpaper had stains on it from all the smoke.

I just think that smoking is harmful to yourself plus it is costly. You could save a tremendous amount of money. My grandmothers winston 100's were $6.10 on New Years eve! She thought that the price was outrageous but she still bought them anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness