Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:34 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I can't imagine people actually *ahem* use the toilet then NOT shower before getting dressed for the day.. That is just so gross to me.
I'm sorry but my bowel movements are not that regular to schedule them first thing in the morning before I take a shower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 08:35 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
I shower daily because it's enjoyable. I rarely skip a shower, but it's been known to happen if I have the day off and it's cold/wet outside and I for whatever reason did not leave the house.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:00 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
For the women....do you go for a day or two without cleansing the vagina? I know people who say they could not clean it for days and it wont smell?

Im not quite sold on trying that
Is there something going on in there I don't know about?

Old 06-12-2015, 02:23 AM

11,022 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
I feel yucky if I don't shower every morning. Sometimes I take another shower at night
Don't you feel yucky going to bed after a days work without taking a shower? Especially in summer? By morning it's too late - you've already gone to bed without a shower.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Don't you feel yucky going to bed after a days work without taking a shower? Especially in summer? By morning it's too late - you've already gone to bed without a shower.
I think people get in a mindset over cleanliness and feel they have to take one, two, or more showers a day. Keep in mind this is a recent trend because many people a few generations ago did not have showers, or had one bathroom for a large family.

I've noticed that I can skip a day and not have body odor even it I have worked out.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:30 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Is age a factor here? When I get old will my glands dry up or something so I won't feel as gross and dirty? Or will I get older and just not care anymore? Things that make you go hmmm

Old 06-12-2015, 10:09 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
I shower once a year whether I need it or not. LOL

I've done heavy work most of my life , and sweat heavily .
Unless i''m completely exhausted, I'll shower at night, but I sweat in bed any way, and need a shower in the morning .
Now that I'm retired, Unless Im doing heavy work out side I shower once a week ,some times more often if I'm going to be in public.
But alone here in the wine country there's no one to impress or offend .except the chickens.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:01 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,003,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Generally no. For one thing, I don't do "a days work" any more -- I'm retired, and even when I did work, it was in an air-conditioned place, which I got to and from by using my air-conditioned car, and my home is likewise air-conditioned. So I'm not in a situation to sweat very often.

If I do feel the need, I'll shower a second time in the day before going to bed, but that's rare.

Anyway, the only other living creature in my house is my cat, and she's got no room to complain about bad smells!

Old 06-12-2015, 01:59 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeArizonaBabe View Post
This morning, I had forgo the showering until tonight. My husband said I smell great & that the natural smell was best. I did feel a lot better not taking a shower 2 times a day (which I had done for 10 years now).

So is 1 time a day, at night, the best way to go?
you shower twice a day? Do you have any idea how that can dry out your skin and cause one to look older than their years?

When I was younger and much more active I did shower or bath once a day (never more) but as I have slowed down and from the advise of our primary care doctor I no longer take a bath daily, more like every 2 or 3 days.

Growing up, many of us didn't even have showers in our homes and had 20 to 30 gallon water heaters so we needed to economize on hot water. Again, we didnt' bath or shower daily unless we worked or played a long time outdoors. My dad showered every morning before going to work and when we had a larger home with a larger water heater I usually took a bath every night, but even then not always. We washed our hair every 5 days to once a week. Of course always on Sat mornings, so we could look good for our Sat night dates if we were lucky enough to have one. I will add, we used vinegar to rinse our hair if it was brown or even dark. If we were blonds we used lemon juice.

For all of you who seem to be hung up on cleanliness and the importance of going to bed without a shower or think without showering everyone sticks, have any of you ever heard of washing your body parts, your face etc with a nice washcloth each night or each morning? One doesn't have to take showers to be clean. What about people who have had surgery? They often go days or weeks without being able to shower. I just had knee surgery, I could not shower for a week. Does that mean I am yucky dirty?

To me, taking a shower or bath has to do with cleanliness of course, but it is also relaxing. For many it is a way of waking up each morning.

Last edited by nmnita; 06-12-2015 at 02:13 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Is age a factor here? When I get old will my glands dry up or something so I won't feel as gross and dirty? Or will I get older and just not care anymore? Things that make you go hmmm
I think some things change based on your age. When I was a teenager, I used to wash my face before I went to bed and when I got up because my skin was oily. I stopped doing that when I got out of high school.

OTOH, when I was in high school, I only washed my hair once a week. It got really dry when I washed it, so I did it infrequently. Now, I can't stand to go more than two days without shampooing. My hair gets oily, and my scalp gets itchy if I go more than two days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness