Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 08:59 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,462,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Probably....but you could try just lathering up the "worst" parts and rubbing down the rest with pure water. So yes, rinse off all the sweat and use soap on the stinky parts. But if you're a guy you likely have fewer issues with dry or irritated skin anyway so later away!
I'm a guy and I have the opposite problem of dry skin- oily skin! If I didn't shower every morning, my face would be so oily by mid-day that my glasses wouldn't stay on my face. During the day, especially when it's hot, I use those oil-absorbing sheets they sell in the 'facial care' section of the drug store (my dirty little secret)!

But I have changed one thing about my showering behavior- hair washing/conditioning. I only wash my hair every other day (but for a guy with short hair, it's not much of an issue) because my scalp becomes dry very easily.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:12 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
What has WHO or that link got to do with the discussion? We are not talking about antibiotics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Really? I grew up in NYC which had fluoride in the water almost since the Stone Age. I'd take a shower and itch. Moved to Long Island at the age of 38 which to this day does not have fluoride in the water to this day. Never had a problem, unless I went in pools at lot. Lived there until I was in my early 60's and moved to Florida. Fluoride in water.

I started braking out in hives from head to toe. Had no idea from what. Doctor gave me steroids which made me vomit. Went to a Dermatologist who did a Biopsy. Contact Dermatitis. Change your detergents and soaps which did no good.

Put 2 + 2 together. When I went back to LI where my kids live, hives went away. Came back to Florida, hives came back. What was the difference? The WATER. So I went out and bought special filters on all my water in Florida. No more hives since then.

Side note. So if somebody has a "simple" reaction to only showering in the water,what would their reaction be internally? I had food poisoning and was injected with Cipro which is a fluoride antibiotic. I had ringing in my ears and double vision which took months to go away despite stopping taking that after only 48 hours.

Think about this. If someone is having an external reaction to fluoride, just imagine what it could do taking it internally. Hindsight is 20/20. If I had know what they were giving me with my skin reaction, I would NEVER have taken any antibiotic with it.
If there was no fluoride in the water, why would being in a pool cause a problem if fluoride is the cause?

How you know it is fluoride at all? Do you have any idea how many chemicals are in public water supplies? How do you know that it's not another substance in the water causing the problem, for example? It appears to be something in the water, but you really cannot say for certain it's fluoride.

Cipro has rarely been known to cause double vision, and the mechanism is unknown, but it is exceedingly unlikely that it is due just to the fluorine and more likely to be due to the entire molecule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have a super high toleration for hot water (heat in general) and it feels so good when RA or FM is flaring up, or filling up the over sized tub with epson salts and stuff..... I know what I'LL be doing this evening.

I love the high heat (I would turn our water heater up higher if I knew how) but suspect it is NOT good for my skin or hair.
I love a hot soak, too. It's how I end every day.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:30 PM

983 posts, read 1,054,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Not so as far as I see it, Mercola has a lot of good advice. I would listen to him sooner than an allopath wanting to push a drug on me.

What doctor doesn't push drugs or supplements...allopathic MD's write scripts all day. That's OK I guess. I've seen enough threads on drugs vs supplements on this health group. This topic is mostly water.
Actually I went to a sports medicine doc for help with my severe osteoarthritis. He gave me exercises. I do them about 1 day a week to control the pain. No drugs or supplements. Just some simple exercises. Another time he told me to get inserts for my shoes - *inserts*, not drugs. He doesn't sell the inserts, by the way. He's just a doc and an athlete who uses them.

I might trust Mercola if he didn't sell the stuff that he encourages. It seems like he has a bit of an agenda...to sell his stuff. He has a "store" connected to his web site, which I suspect brings in a substantial amount of money.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:46 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
Actually I went to a sports medicine doc for help with my severe osteoarthritis. He gave me exercises. I do them about 1 day a week to control the pain. No drugs or supplements. Just some simple exercises. Another time he told me to get inserts for my shoes - *inserts*, not drugs. He doesn't sell the inserts, by the way. He's just a doc and an athlete who uses them.

I might trust Mercola if he didn't sell the stuff that he encourages. It seems like he has a bit of an agenda...to sell his stuff. He has a "store" connected to his web site, which I suspect brings in a substantial amount of money.
Yep.

https://www.geneticliteracyproject.o...ti-gmo-groups/

Consumer Health Digest, September 7, 2015

https://books.google.com/books?id=5t...income&f=false

Sales of $15 million by 2006.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 06-26-2016 at 09:59 PM..

Old 06-26-2016, 10:01 PM

Ick! I just read the Mercola article about less frequent showering. That really sounds gross.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:15 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
God, have we gotten so lazy that not showering or bathing daily is considered ok ? Not me, I shower or soak at least once a day, sometimes 2 or more. I love my baths.

Some of you need to move to a 3rd world country.

Don

Old 06-26-2016, 10:34 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post

The fact that Dr. Mercola sells supps doesn't turn me off for a second. I've never purchased his products but he offers a lot of info I appreciate. Dr. Sinatra is a cardiologist that offers a lot of good info on heart health supports and sells them and has authored books. I buy the supps he talks about but buy from my online suppliers. Dr. Perlmutter offers so much good info on brain and heart health and I own one of his books.

There are many MD's that offer books, supps etc. and most of all their abundant info.

Obviously, many of us come from opposite sides to do our healing. And many combine both and that is perfectly fine. Why allopathic users slam alternatives is beyond me. I use a couple drugs but mostly supps. Some make it out to be a contest on which vs which. I prefer less pharma drugs.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-26-2016 at 10:42 PM..

Old 06-26-2016, 10:49 PM

I think allopaths only slam alternatives that are not proven to be scientifically valid...see Naturopathic Diaries - Confessions of a naturopathic doctor for insight from a former ND.

I also went to a rheumatologist who suggested alternatives - diet and supplements - in addition to drug treatment for my psoriatic arthritis. I couldn't see quitting chocolate, so the diet thing kind of didn't work for me. But she *tried.*

And I think just using "supps" may work for *some* disorders. I would honestly be afraid to go that route for inflammatory arthritis such as RA and PsA. And there again, I can't imagine reducing showers. Seems they did that back in Victorian times, didn't they? That was an awful, smelly era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness